Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '85 Dax, 302W - "Street Boss", C4, Jag suspension
Not Ranked     

A DeType was registered in the ACT two months ago with working side pipes (see the photo shoot from the Nationals - Blue - 2nd from left on front row). Engineer successfully argued the pipes would not fit under the car.

I am (obviously) lining up the same engineer for my build (when it starts)
Old 11-03-2004, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hi Jase and welcome. I bought a rolling chassis from Classic revival around $24k back in June 03. I had limited knowlege of building/repair of cars but have learnt and enjoyed so much during my time building. You will find that there is so much help and ideas to be learned from this forum and by asking the question as you can see the response is always well answered. Seems there is a number of good kits about but from my research the CR seemed for me to suit what I wanted to build (LS1) which was then built to accept mounting for this. Ian can be a bit light on for advise but the number of CR builders at the moment around there is some great advise on how the reduce the disappointments which will come along the way. Lets face it we are all still learning as we go.
Cheers Leeroy.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

An important factor for me when choosing my kit was after sales service and advice. I was made aware before I made my selection to stay away from certain manufactures who take your money and kick you out the door.

Bryan at Homebush Fibreglass is always willing to offer advice on ways to do things.
For instance, since I started building my car I have changed the dash 3 times. Each time Bryan has supplied me with another free of charge.
I had an issue with the doors and he came over to my house to help out, again free of charge.

His kit is not the most expensive but it is tried and proven. If you want to use a different motor he will build the chassis and body to suit. The majority of parts are from ADR approved cars so minimal testing is required for rego.

Brett

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter

Last edited by Shelby400; 11-03-2004 at 04:43 PM..
Old 11-03-2004, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Jase

I used one of Bryan's body purchased through Doug Pearse in Lilydale.

Doug is a very good resource and certainly someone to talk to prior to starting your project.

Doug has completed nearly every kit on the market for owners and has a good idea of all of them.

Doug Pearse Engineering Beressford Rd, Lilydale Victoria.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 11-03-2004, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ralph_C

The D type Jaguar thing is interesting..

A few of us were discussing this on the weekend. A few questions remain unanswered when this car is compared to a Cobra.

These cars seem to be able to get through as 1950's and 1960's vehicles with no emission or ADR compliance relevant to 2004.

Good on them.!! But maybe, we should approach the view that this is a replica 1965 Cobra vehicle and has a 289/351 carby motor.

The 'D types' appear to all have the same motor, trim, wheels and interior aluminium/aluminum set up. I recently saw one with chrome and aluminium/aluminum interior and four point harnesses. It was similiar to the one at a shop for sale.

Ok we all build a 1965 Cobra..

The only problem with this, is that we would all have to have the same type of wheels, interior, gauges, engine, transmission, diff etc.... The only variation would be choice of colour/color.

Heaven forbid..

Bernie
Old 11-03-2004, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Engine choice is definatly influenced by legalities. Australian Design Rules (ADR's) changed early this year extremely limiting choice of allowable engines for new builds...
The ADR relating to exhausts( updated sometime in the 80's) talks not about side mounting, but rather, the limiting factor being where the gas exits. The words go something like.... If to the rear then ??? millimetres past the last body seam, and if to the side, to the right hand side only. It also talks about exiting a minimum distance (100mm?) past the last cabin opening, i.e door/window. obviously also heat shielding of any exposed exhaust.
The De-Type in ACT argued that if mounted under floor pan, the vehicle could not meet the minimum allowable ground clearance at its designed ride height. Side exhaust was allowed with apropriate heat shielding, though the exhaust tip had to point inward under the car. and 92? dba.
I had a good repore with the authorities here when I started mine in '90, and they filled me in on all the loop holes and the way they interperate the ADR's ( a big problem is that all states interperate them diferently). I got a letter of aproval in principal which locked each of us into an agreement on what will be registerable. This lead me to building a G-Force on a very modified Crown chassis as it then only needed to meet 1972 ADR's. I've ended up with jag rear, HQ front brakes, carby with leaded fuel, and legal side pipes pointing outward at 96 or 98 dba, soon to fit rack and pinion steering. Its not as refined as the newer generation cars but does me, 3rd in class hill climb and up the front of the class in sprints at the Nats must mean its not to bad.
So sometimes its a matter of what you know, who you know and how you can make the system work for you.

Last edited by David Hodgson; 11-03-2004 at 05:49 PM..
Old 11-03-2004, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bernie
the De-Type we're refering to is a cobra manufactured by De-Type in QLD. He does also build D-Type Jags
Old 11-03-2004, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

The engineer that complied my car said he would have no problem with an active side pipe on the drivers side only. He could not approve the passenger side because it exits towards pedestrians on the footpath.

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter
Old 11-03-2004, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So side pipes might be a little difficult to think about at the moment. Gave a little thought to the mechanical side of things today - I remember as a kid reading about the Cobra. The article said something like "Wheel spin in first gear is something quite common in most cars. Wheelspin in 2nd and 3rd is a little less common. Wheelspin in 4th gear is something only done in a Cobra" - that was over ten years ago I read that so forgive me if its not word for word perfect! But from that moment on I always wanted to drive a Cobra mainly because of the skill it would require. Skill to build it, skill to drive it.

I think I've gotta stop thinking about this and just do it!
Old 11-03-2004, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The De-Type in Canberra had to go through rego with the exit pipes pointing in .... The exit pipes are made to rotate ... (there is a slight blister in the paint under the passengers side...)

The De-Type kit is also lower, wider and longer than most, so maybe there are some different circumstances...

I contacted the engineer last week (arranging for what I need to look for when ordering a kit) - his comment was that the ACT authorities like to try and get you on the road, rather than be real pains in the .... so he has a good working relationship with them - as long as it meets certain regs, there is no problem. But you must get them locked to certain conditions as early in the build as possible (then go for it).

The De-Type in question can be seen here --> http://www.cobracarclubnsw.org.au/profiles.html -- third pic down.

Last edited by Ralph_C; 11-03-2004 at 10:52 PM..
Old 11-03-2004, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb My fault wrong 'D' type

David

Re the D type (Jaguar) replica....

Sorry my mistake, I thought you were talking Jaguar.

A few of us were talking about registration of Cobras last Saturday at Doug's factory and the recent registration of a D Type Jaguar came up. Hence the comments.

The D type Jaguar in question we are talking about is at an enthusiast car sales and showroom. It was recently registered.
Appears as a 1950's or 1960's vehicle..

Bernie

Last edited by BMK; 11-03-2004 at 11:50 PM..
Old 11-04-2004, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry Bernie, but does this mean that it is feasible to construct an S/C replica (real 427, side pipes etc.) and get it registered under 1966 ADRs? Who checks reality (particularly when they were all different)?

and I know it would mean a ladder chassis, no sway bars, but wouldn't it be nice?

Maybe I have a new direction ....
Old 11-04-2004, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No worries Bernie, there are always new kits sneaking onto the market it's hard to keep up

Ralph
It's may possible to pull the wool over the authorities eyes, and build a replica and pass it off as an original '65, but you would have to build in 40yrs ofage, wear and tear, all period components such as brakes, master cyls etc.

As for building a "new" replica to '65 specs I doubt very much as they still consider it a new vehicle, and would want to apply current ADR's, though one of the local approving engineers, John Wilson, built an XJ 13 racing Jag replica, about 14 years back, and i believe has it road registered.

Are you coming to the BBQ on sunday? Be good to meet you, and Pete can fill you in on the two thirds rule that hot rodders work under.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi David
Will be there on Sunday ... will be good to catch up and finally meet all the locals - is there a run afterwards? (I will not be running, but that would mean all the local Cobras would be together and let me see as well as talk about the bits I am currently considering).
Old 11-04-2004, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ralph
Not sure if run afterward, but a few of us are meeting at Shell NATEX (EPIC) at 11:00 to go the long way there.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, 302Windsor HO Stock
Not Ranked     

I reckon you should just buy one and get it out on the road. That's where the real fun is
Bugger building one for a joke. Unless you can get it done in 6 & 1/2 weeks you're in for a long haul (but I wish you all the best if you choose to go this way.)
I bought my RMC from Perth and spent some of the winter months tinkering & modifying small things (re-covered dash and changed the layout, put on visors & windwings etc.) and just have heaps of fun driving it whenever I want (or the weather allows)
My 2 cents worth.
Cheers
Batman
Old 11-05-2004, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David

Just on meetings..

I was up in Canberra and stayed at the Hyatt just down from Parliment House. Late one evening I walked around towards the sailing club and thought thats a Cobra that just drove out of the carpark there.

If this is your club meeting point, I may try and make one of your meetings...

Bernie
Old 11-05-2004, 12:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Batman

I can remember seeing an old add in Kit Car Magazine. I think it was a Superformance add and it read..

If you want to build a Cobra buy a model. If you don't, buy a Superformance Cobra today...

Bernie
Old 11-05-2004, 12:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This may sound extreme but..

I build up a 'B' model 1932 Ford replica. Bodies are available in steel in the States.

I run a repro. chassis using pressed rails and the side valve 8 cylinder engine and gearbox. Everything else is as original reproduction and purchased from Drake, Thompson and Flood etc.

I take it into the registration office. No engineers report only a roadworthy in my hand and proof of purchase of the body.

It is registered as a 1932 Ford roadster.

Can it happen.

Well it can and has happened in Victoria at Vicroads this year..

Makes you wonder...

I sold my 1937 Ford convert. to the glass guy at Duece Customs a few years back. He took it in with a roadworthy, no questions asked and registered it in his name.

Just luck..

Then there is a 1956 Chev with a jet engine driving around..

Bernie
Old 11-05-2004, 01:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Regarding side pipes, I'm sure this has been suggested before, but would it possible to run the side pipe as usual, but instead of exiting in front of the rear tyres, the piping then went back under the car and then out the back of the car? It would be messy wouldn't it? It would just make more sense to mount a dummy set of side pipes wouldn't it.. blah!