Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Hey Al,
For giggles and grins what kinda money are you talking total AUD. In round figures for those of us on this side of the pond to buy a 400 dollar part from the USA and get it to your front door?
$400. US purchase price
$ ? Import duty ... rounded off or guess
$ ? Goods tax .... rounded off
$ ? Service tax ..... rounded off
-----------------------------------------
$ Total AUD cost ??
thanks jeff c
Old 11-17-2004, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by vettestr

Hey Al,
For giggles and grins what kinda money are you talking total AUD. In round figures for those of us on this side of the pond to buy a 400 dollar part from the USA and get it to your front door?
$400. US purchase price
$ ? Import duty ... rounded off or guess
$ ? Goods tax .... rounded off
$ ? Service tax ..... rounded off
-----------------------------------------
$ Total AUD cost ??
thanks jeff c
OK lets see.

Assuming I were to import something from the US that was $400 USD

$400 USD = $533 AUD at exchange rate of $1 AUD = $0.75 USD

Import duty I think is 15% (of $533) so $80 AUD

and GST is 10% of (533+80) = $61 (a tax on a tax!)

So total cost in AUD = 533 + 80+ 61 = $674 AUD or there abouts

Things will probably change when the USA / Australia free trade agreement kicks in with, I assume, a lowering of import duty for items imported from the states.

Hope that helps Jeff

Cheers
Old 11-18-2004, 12:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Dont forget the shipping! I'm getting 2 SPEC clutches in from a shop in Texas and UPS wanted US$280 for shiping!!??!! Trying to find a better shipping company at the moment.

I put an order in to Summit for about 20 a bunch of stuff weighing about 20 pounds and the shipping was US$100 (I can live with that).

Cheers

Old 11-18-2004, 04:42 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I wired my car myself. I used five relays to control five zones and one more for brakes. Off each zone I fused each circuit. Ended up with 13 fuses, six relays and a total cost of $122.00.

But I had shrink tubing, soldier and special items. So, I didn't have to order/purchase them.

I see in this thread that the cost to wire a car is very expensive in "The great down under", does it take that long, or is it rate of exchange?

Mike, what do the two clutches weigh? The reason I ask is it may be less expensive to have them go through the mail system as a X'mas gift(s). $280 seems like a lot.

G2G
Old 11-18-2004, 06:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the quick response. Helps me put things in perspective. To give you a little return idea of different costs of life here == in general items. A teenager flipping burgers at a fast food joint would make about $6. per hour in Phoenix, Az. That same burger costs about $2.50 on average, a draft beer to wash it down would be about 2 bucks, pac of smokes about 5 bucks bought in the bar. Doctors office visit from the smokes, a co-pay of $20 to $ 25 and a dozen roses delivered to make up for coming home late after the beers would be another 30 bucks.
I was told about all these costs as I would never do any thing like that myself ya know. I have a keg in my bar at home!!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

The same kid flipping burgers in Alice Springs would earn $16.25 p/h
The burger sells for between $2.00 to $6.00 depending on what it is
A can of beer will set you back about $3.50
A packet of smokes is about $12.00
I havent been to the doctors out here yet. ( A saying I was told when I first started work in Alice is "If your in pain - get on a plane")
1 dozen roses delivered in town area will cost $77.00
1 Gallon of fuel for our Cobra will cost $5.81 today ($1.25 per litre)

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Researching
Not Ranked     

Some people have saved money on shipping through "replacement parts being shipped under warranty" etcetc.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Box,
I see the kid flippin burgers can afford more beer than kid here at that pay rate. If he doesn't smoke and he can keep lady happy without the roses then building the Cobra is do-able.
Arizona is a (right to work) state, meaning if you can be replaced by illegal alien or non union worker can dilute the pay scale as are most states bordered by mexico. Our gas is about 2.30 a gallon but I have to burn race/drum fuel in my toy at about 5 bucks a gallon. Engine was built for alky but a real pain to run on street so converted to gas. I trailer to many runs if round trip is greater than fuel cell size.
I am building another car with stock crate engine so I can have best of each world. Do parts from Ebay have to go through import rules, I do not mean a whole car but parts in general?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,
New to this as just joined, think it may take some time to learn how to use the forum, so be gentle!!

We are trying to wire in a Spal fan and the old sender unit has the following numbers on it. 30, 85, 86 and 87. The new sender has 15 or 49, 31, 49a, C and C2...........Does anyone know which terminals on the new relay correspond to the old terminal numbers? We'd be real grateful for the help as it's gonna be a nice day tomorrow and we're hoping to go out! - Not sure if we'll be able to follow the threads ( as I mentioned earlier - we're new to this ), so if anyone can send us an email that'd be great. Thanks and look forward to joining the forums with things that we do know about!
Old 04-16-2006, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     

This maybe of interest to those that want to wire up their own car http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil....car_wiring.htm

Steve
Old 04-16-2006, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

What a fantastic site.

Thanks.

Ben

This is my understanding of electrics....

http://www.peizhang.com/forfun/forfu...ings_smoke.htm
Old 04-18-2006, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

My previous reading of this thread had me heading down the Ron Francis wiring loom option for all Ford wiring. However seeing the approx cost of such a loom versus obtaining the full AU loom system for about the same cost I struggle to see why there is a need to not buy locally.

Given the AU loom will connect into most of my onboard ford appliances and some minor changes will be needed for lucas based parts and deletion of unused ford bits such as ABS, traction, electric windows etc etc, can anybody indicate reasons why I should look past the locally available ex-car looms?

I am also of the understanding that the AU series started using different connection plug to earlier models, is this correct? If correct, does this really mean I should steer away from earlier looms or will an earlier loom be suitable? If so what model is recommended. I am running a 2002 AUII engine with matching computer and BCM.

Yours in basic smoke containment.

Steve