Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 01-21-2005, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Wireing question

Just a quick question to those that have built there cars and used a prefabricated harness.
How many circuit harness did you use?
Just looking at prices and what is available, I was going to get a 21 harness circuit & use what I need, but figured I may not need one that big.
My car is Gen III with power supply required for ecu, fans etc plus normal lights, wiper, heater etc

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

I used a Painless 12 circuit set and I had a couple of wires left over I have radio,heater,fan, and all lights including courtesy lights inside. I was super easy to hook up.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Art, is your car efi or carbie?
Or more importantly does it have electric fans controled by the ecu and does it have electric fuel pump?

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 66 427W Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Wiring

from just finishing my Cobra wiring and starting on the GT40
plan on 7 relays (if you have air cond or elec fuel pump) and half a dozen other circuits after that shoud be plenty. I way overwired my snake and learned a valuable lesson.
relay for electric fan, elec fan overide, wipers, fuel pump, fog lights, horn, radio amp, then do your circuits
igniton start
1 wire 100 amp alternator
lights and horn
put some fluids in it and DRIVE it

good luck
Old 01-21-2005, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Boxhead...I used a Painless 12 circuit universal harness and it meet all my expectations. You would maybe use the GM universal one depending on what connectors are on your ignition/indicator stalk.

The fuse box had a few unfused power circuits if you required more. Even the radio circuit had both switched and unswitched circuits for radios to keep their memory settings when the ignition is off.

It also had a 4 wheel drive switch circuit I didn't use and could be used for something else.

It also had an aircon power circuit I didn't use.

The only thing I would do differently would be to also purchase the Gauge wiring harness rather than wire all the gauges myself.

These are the gauge harnesses:

http://www.painlesswiring.com/catalogframe.htm

and go to connectors and pigtails.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited by Rebel1; 01-21-2005 at 05:21 PM..
Old 01-21-2005, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

OOpsy..forgot to mention

If you dont want to use that crappy convoluted split plastic wire conduit, here is a great alternative.

http://www.techflex.biz/pet.htm

makes for a cleaner than professional installation.

Cheers
Old 01-21-2005, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To follow on from Thomas Gayer's post. I did add relays for the radiator fan and used the painless fan switch circuit to switch the relays and I would use the aircon compressor switch circuit to switch relays for an elec fuel pump.

The only relay supplied with the kit was for the horn.

I did have to add a few little bits of wire to existing curcuits. Like the side indicators we have to have in Aussie land...this was just splicing a short pigtail to the existing indicator wire.

Ohhhh...the only real addition was a circuit for the windscreen washer.....but that was easy. I just fed that from the painless supplied wiper cuircuit which is heavy enough to feed the BMC wiper motor but you might want to add a wiper relay to save your switches.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default forum

g'day mates
i thought i was in the texas cobra club forum, sorry.
too much porter i guess
in retrospect, the wiring is not that difficult, but really easy if you use the painless. just do your relays first and you wont go wrong.
i use two relays on my wipers, one to turn the circuit on and the second to "go fast" using the standard lucas 5 wire motor.
that way all toggles are down when everything is off.
we plan on doing hawaii this year, lemans next june and Austrailia (the great reef) and China (the great wall) are next on the list.

tommy
Old 01-21-2005, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well Thomas, I am a long way away from the reef.
If you look at a map of Australia and put your finger in the middle, that is where I am.
As the locals say, "we have the best seafood in Australia, we are nearest to ALL the beaches in Australia, but closest to none"
Before liveing out here I did live at a place called Mission Beach, that is very close to the reef, the next town north of me at dead low tide you could walk to the reef.

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-21-2005, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default build

boxhead,
good luck with your build.
mine took 3 years doing it by myself.
plan on doing everything 3 times and you will be happy with it.
(dont tighten stuff to the max the first time, trust me you will be doing it again).
there will be times when you will get a lot of satisfaction and there will be frustrating and burn out days. just go do something else and come back to it when you are fresh again.
dont be afraid to ask, my kit was delivered with two right exhaust manifolds and no left. they exchanged for the proper one and it worked so much better.
and for god's sake, no Kangaroos in the car until it is finished.
i guess your FedEx and UPS man will know your progress.
best of luck

tommy
Old 01-21-2005, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Tommy...when you do come to Aussie land, make sure you look us up.

Us Queensland fellas are a real social bunch and we can get you into all manner of trouble.

Make sure you bring steel cap work boots...those bluddy kangaroos hurt like hell when they jump on ya toes.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And watch out for the drop bears.

I am a fair way into my build so far Thomas (check my picks)
No ups or fedex where I am, it is all Aussie post or TNT freight.
I should have my car registered by about June July, but it will still be in gelcoat.
I plan on driveing it around in gelcoat just to be sure of everything before I paint it.

Cruising in 5th

Last edited by boxhead; 01-21-2005 at 06:12 PM..
Old 01-21-2005, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK,
i'll look you up, thanks for the invite.
we travel a lot
don't have steel toed shoes as i work with electricity and it just gives the voltage a good ground place to come out.
there were some Aussies on our Mustangs Across America and they were very nice. must have been from the south.
i have some albums at clubphoto.com and the alias lookup is tgdg
the private password is texas1 u may know some of those blokes or sheilas. anyhow i used tractor paint on my mustang and won an award in April and now it is cracking LOL. drive with gel coat if you cant afford $300 worth of Dupont basecoat, clearcoat. (in retrospect the tractor paint only cost $27 and I did get an award with it, so i guess it served its purpose) if there are any nearly nudes on my clubphoto page, i know nothing about them ...no nudes are good nudes..
we are in the dead of winter here and it got up to 74 F here today
i am about 180 miles due east of Dallas. Carroll Shelby was born in Leesburg TX about 80 miles up the lane and has a home in Pittsburg TX about 70 miles from here. He gets slammed a lot, but he is a real home, down to earth guy, a lot of fun to talk to.
All my cousins are still in Ireland, so if i need Lucas parts, i get them to ship them to me. I have a sticker on my car that says "nothing but the finest English parts falling off this car"

never kissed the blarney stone, as i was born in Kerry and my wife says i am full of c...er gab

tommy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: