Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2005, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default More questions

Hey there everyone, as the heading suggests I have some questions.
I am not upto the stage in my build yet where I need these questions answered but this will save me asking later.

Question 1 : I was looking through Mando's pic gallery and can see that he has welded a plate between the door hinge rods, Do you guys think this would make any diffrence? and my real question on this part, How do you cover these hinges up, I dont really want black rods or a plate to be seen.

Question 2 : More for the Classic Revival guys, how do you mount your rear bumpers/quick jacks?
My chassis doesnt have any brackets or mounts in the rear (the front does) Can any of you guys supply pics?
Also where exactly do the quick jacks go? Does anyone have measurements?

Question 3 : Again in mando's pics I can see that you have fitted aluminium panels to the footboxes, I plan on doing this but have you put any sort of heat shielding between the panels and the fibreglass?
If so what recomendations can anyone make?
Also how should these be fixed to the vehicle? Bolts, rivets?
Should there be an air gap between panels and footboxes?

Question 4 : How do you fit the side vents to the car? Do you need to glass them in (prefer not to) or do you need to glass in some sorta home made bracket arrangement to hold them?

Question 5 : Again probably aimed at the Classic guys, Can anyone show me some close up pics from the side of your headlight rims mounted on the car?, I want to see how flush they are with bodywork.
I have tried mini ones and new ones (plastic yuckky) from Ingrams but they sit about 2mm proud of the body. Ie to large in diameter.

Question 6 : I am thinking of getting an aluminium fuel tank made up, Am I best to do this after car is registered and when mounting it to the car the easiest way is going to be haveing a flat plate welded around the outside of the tank and bolt it directly to the chassis from underneath, is this going to be strong enough or would it be too much weight for the welds and nutserts?
Here is a pic of what I mean

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 02-27-2005 at 02:01 AM..
Old 02-27-2005, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Boxhead

I can shed some light on some of your questions
1. My hinges do not protrude past the door opening like some kits and originals, and hence are covered by upholstery panel that extends from leading edge of door opening through to footwell.

3. I have used glass fibre insulation, about 12mm thick, used in building aircond. duct work between f/glass footbox and alloy sheeting. It will be a worthwhile excersise to fit some sort of insulation. I've fixed it with rivets and M5 screws and nutserts around lower edges and by rivets to the rest of the engine bay sheeting.

5. There are two sizes of Lucas head light rims, Mini's and some Bedford, and Inter trucks have a larger base diameter than MGB, sprite and some other 60's vehicle that use Lucas headlight buckets, though the two size rims will fit on the same bucket. Original Cobra's, G-Force, Evans, RMC etc use the smaller base dia. rims, where DRB D-Type and some others use the larger dia. Mini rims. You may need to look for MGB rims.

6. I would think the welded flange mount would be sufficient with 4 or 6, M10 bolts to mount. The flange would be best as your pic using a piece of agle welded to the tank to spread stress points on the tank sheeting. Someone else might confirm or dismiss this as I haven't had that much to do with alloy tanks.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Boxhead,

Quick jacks: The bottom quick jack mount lines up with the existing 20mm hole in chassis rail. The top mount you make up from 50x 50 x 5 angle. The flat of the angle bolts through the floor (inside boot) using the existing body/chassis bolts and top bolt of the quick jack goes through the vertical leg of angle.

Lots of fun drilling holes. Must be done before fuel tank is in.

Clear as mud?

Side vents: Yes you make up 25 x25 x 3 angles and glass/glue to inside of body. If you use Dons(Snakebite) side vents then you need to slightly modify the sides of the body opening. Dons vents are top quality polished SS. I used silastic to hold vents in position..

Fuel Tank. Tank may need to be ADR approved ?? So aluminium drop tank should be done later. I installed my tank with nutserts and side angle as you suggested but chickened out and installed 2X 50mm ss straps as well.

If you get to Shelby Fest you can have a look and take photos.

Phil
Old 03-01-2005, 02:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Hi Boxhead,

I can answer a few of your questions.

Ive put a picture of the hinge covers Im going to use in my gallery. I got them through Cobra Restorers. They look the same as the originals and fit perfectly.

Ive also put some pictures in my gallery showing the mounting plates I made in S/Steel to support the quickjack pads. They just need to be polished. The hole that the quickjack rod slides into should be elongated vertically to get the right position at final assembly.

I used 8mm x 30mm round aluminium spacers between the fibreglass and the S/Steel to create an air gap. I intend using a ceramic spray on coating on the footboxes. It can be sprayed on the outside then sanded and painted with the rest of the engine bay, or sprayed onto the inside of the footboxes. I think Ill put it on the inside. It needs to be applied in thin layers to achieve a thickness of a credit card.Ive put a picture of the stuff in my gallery.

Regards.