Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-31-2005, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Default JUst what is the dBA level

For some time I have had the belief that 95dBA was the acceptable level for exhausts for compliance in Victoria.

However, yesterday I spoke with the EPA and they have told me that the level is 90dBA for any vehicle post November 1st, 1983.

Have they moved the guidelines.

The Royal Automobile Club Victoria (R.A.C.V) site indicates 90dba also.

Has anyone got old auto magazine reports or levels?

For example in 1990 was the level actually 95 dBA and they now have back dated the dBA level to November 1st 1983 and lowered it to 90dBA.

I'm talking Victoria here as South Australia is higher.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 04-01-2005 at 06:51 AM..
Old 03-31-2005, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DAX 460
Not Ranked     

Bernie

Goto:

http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/P...7?OpenDocument

Download 877.pdf it pretty much covers the regulations.

Latest news -- The man from Snowy River was given an infringement when his horse farted just west of Dargo last Saturday. Minister for the Environment believes a new tax on flatulence will be implimented early 2006. Cows and bulls udderly disgusted, snakes outraged!!!

Dave
Old 04-01-2005, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave

They make sense...

But did they move the goal Posts when this new regulation came in.

In better words in Schedule 1 that was revoked on the 1st of February 2003 was the dBA level higher and they have now lowered it on this new Schedule 2..

Bernie

Last edited by BMK; 04-01-2005 at 06:53 AM..
Old 04-01-2005, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

When I had my car engineered in 1998 I had to have the noise down to 95db.

The car was engineered and registered to the then current ADRs.

Now they want all cars at 90db

That would mean I would have to change my exhaust system.
This would make it non-standard and would not comply to the new task-forces rules on changing standard componants.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance AUS002, Chev 5.7 with hairdryer
Not Ranked     
Default over

I was 95 at idle

Then pinged, changed to 87 at 3300

THen changed back to 95 at idle

Then pinged again changed to 85 at 3300, with cats, 4 Holden HQ mufflers and lost of heat tape cause they wanted it with EPA as well, just got through with the blower and the cam.

Then changed back to 95 at idle.

Its doing a wedding tommorow then back to Mikes works shop to be made a bit quieter.

A big thanks to mike too, with me stuch in 4th over the weekend on Thursday night starting a 7.30pm and finishing at 11.20pm we swaped boxes, and put it all back and on the road.

thank god the superformance allowes the box to come out through the top side tunnel in the car.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Garrett

A big thanks to bernie also - who let you get in ahead of him in the workshop.

Or was it the test drive that let you sneak in ahead..

Bernie
Old 04-01-2005, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jason

I was led to believe that the level was 95dBA as I have a friend who has a modified vehicle and he sticks to the letter of the law (as we all do).

He also was engineered in the mid 90's.

It now appears that if you take a car in for engineering or registration that it must be 90dBA for builds/manufactured back to November 1983 construction.

Guess no problems if you were previously registered at 95dBA under EPA Schedule 1 that was revoked and replaced on the 1st of February 2003..

Starting to make sense as they (EPA) are making it harder by lowering the dBA level. Hell I'm happy with 95dBA.

Bernie
Old 04-02-2005, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: rcm 5ltr windsor paxton supercharged
Not Ranked     

Bernie
after my phone call to you yesterday I can now recall the events at Phillip Island, as I was saying two people
not dressed like you would be for a world super bike race were walking through the public motorcycle parking area taking photo's & recording rego info of the bikes,as a motorcyclist myself and a rep in the industry Iasked why he was taking the photo's he said he was compiling information (the type &name) of the exhaust fitted to the bike so that if a notice is sent to the owner it is pressented as shown and not modified to comply he told me(whitch I know allready)aftermarket exhaust systems do not comply in both noise&emition unless the system aust standards&certifed compliance for the model it is fitted to
Barry Nelson
Old 04-02-2005, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC. 306 Windsor, TFS Track Heat heads, X303 cam, TFS Upper & lower manifold. Accufab t/b, 24 lb inj's, Autronic ECU. Tremec 5 speed,
Not Ranked     
Default Superbikes

Hi Barry (and others)
I also was at the Superbikes yesterday (with Cobra) and also thought it would be a terrific opportunity for any authority to do their worst. I'm always amazed at how well behaved motorcyclists are at the Isalnd. They are outstanding, one or two yobbos notwithstanding. A great day out. Go the Aussies!

The EPA matter is messing with a few of our brains at the moment so I wonder that we might invite the EPA to come long to one of our meetings one night and explain their rules their new found enthusiasm for applying them.

Fact is, we are responsible and respectable (???) citiizens and taxpayers and deserve to be heard. Furthermore we are evidently more capable of doing a mechanical alteration correctly or not based on having built or completed our cars.

I'd like to think we can learn something and see if we can find a way to survive in spite of what appears to be a harsh set of rules - now more rigourously applied.

Thoughts or am I dreaming?

Chris
Old 04-02-2005, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmmmm, yes you could be dreaming Chris, its been known to happen before today.

On walking past a public service establishment the other day i could here chanting coming from within, The rules are the rules are the rules are the rules you must obey ,and on and on it went.
What we could do at the next meeting is build a brick wall and discuss our issues with it
There is more chance of a solution if we go down this path.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi all,

From what I have seen and heard it appears that, yes regulation have changed.

When you ask the question what is the dBA level you are told 90dBA.

However, as Jason - REPTYL - pointed out the level and the regulations at the time were 95dBA. So the day your Cobra was registered is obviously noted.

If you were 95dBA and are today you have no problem. You can only comply with the regulations at the time. An example is if air bags are made compulsory do Cobras or any vehicle need to come off the road and be fitted?

However, I have an understanding that their thinking is....

Quote:

"Down my street it was a 60km/h zone and it is now a 50km/h zone. I bet the Police will not let me off for doing 60km/h when I offer the excuse that it was 60km/h last year.

So this appears to be their thinking on the regulation change.

Off the record there appears to be a thinking that a Cobra or any other car that is checked at 95dBA would have no problem. And these regulations are not back dated. Hopefully this common sense understanding will hit the street where the regulations are enforced.

In fact the question was asked, as to if and why they would check a vehicle thast is audibly quite. Understanding 95dBA is reasonably quite.

The danger is we are seen as modified ICV cars and would have a higher chance of being checked fully.

All other changes from the date of registration, will be noted/photographed and iissued with a fine. So check you registration date requirements and re fit any parts removed etc. Remove any additions also...

I have an hour or so work ahead of me...

Bernie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: