Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2005, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, Shift kitted auto, high stall, AU LSD rear.
Not Ranked     

Boxhead,
Have finally cleaned up and painted my fuel tank straps and brackets. This is the busy time off the year for me and we are building a house at the moment so very little is getting done.
Fuel lines and brake lines will be next on the list. I'll start basic wiring next.
Gav
Old 06-26-2005, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Les, if it was finished, what happened that it took 6 years, just getting it registered , health problems, other ? I thought waiting apx. 4-6 months was bad !!! I would go crazy bro with 6 years !
Old 06-26-2005, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Paul,

Rego wasnt a problem as they were bolt on at that stage and the fake spinners were left off . Pin drives came later.

If you have problems with pindrive spinners at engineering/rego give me a call as I have hex nuts to replace spinners.

Just one thing on wheels. If I had my time over I would go 8.5" on front and 10.5" on the rear and .

Got the engine back in on the weekend and fitted the front sway bar. Should be motoring in about two weeks

Phil
Old 06-26-2005, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Dear Pneall, I have pin drive wheels that tighten on with spinners. As I have not gone for my engineering/rego yet I found your above entry very interesting. When I do go for rego I was going to change rims and bolt on a five bolt pattern mag. Are you saying I can keep my pin drive wheels and go for rego aslong as I use 'hex nuts' or am I just stupid? My wheels are 8.5 and 10.5, however I am having major problems fitting the front tyres in within my DRB Torana based front suspension. I wish everything was easy and my Cobra was finished. Like to hear your advice on pin wheel drive wheels.

Blair
Old 06-26-2005, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blair,

I havent had to prove the point yet with the hex nut in lieu of the spinner but cant see a problem as the hex nut is just inside the rim and have no pedestrian mangling bits.

I have another three years before presenting for pink slip but others may know if the spinners are an issue or not.

Cant help you with 8.5" and Torana suspension maybe Shelby 400 can add some light here.

Phil

Old 06-26-2005, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Dear Pneall, I thought spinners were not allowed because of the simple fact there is only 1 big nut compared to 5 little nuts. The chances of your dam rim and tyre rolling down the road are reduced because 5 nuts are better then 1. If this is the case the hex nut will probably be the same as the spinner. But look I am a mere beginner so I was just asking and giving my opion. Like to hear others as well. Dam rego, think they will notice I have no mufflers? (joke)

Blair
Old 06-26-2005, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Blair

I am having major problems fitting the front tyres in within my DRB Torana based front suspension.

Blair
From memory the inside edge of rim gets very to the upper arm, hassle with 15" rims, would clear easier with larger rims. Actually flared the front guards on our DRB while we were building it, but current generation cars have larger guards, so makes things easier.

Saw the other day that Warrick Harrison was fitting coil overs to front/rear of a DRB for an owner. It's pretty good that he is happy to help with any brand kit, not surprising as he is always the first to lend materials, trailer, help etc to fellow club members at meets.

And for anyone that is curious, those cool Harrison custom front A arms will not fit into DRB...damn.

Blair, that is one killer DRB you are building.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I think the issue isn't so much with the number of nuts it the risk to pedestrians from the whirling spinners. The risk to pedestrians is probably more of an issue with Classic Revival cars due to the wheel offsets used. There are several exotic cars on the market at the moment using a single nut to hold the wheel on. There were also plenty of cars in the past that came equipped with knock offs ie Jaguars and MGs from the 60's and 70's

Here's one of Phil's nuts on my car.

Here's the normal spinners for comparison:

Cheers

Old 06-26-2005, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF under construction
Not Ranked     

Mike
regarding the first pic, I looked pretty hard and all I could see was a wheel and a tyre. Has Phil still got the other one?
Richard
Old 06-26-2005, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

His wife has the other one as a security deposit on finishing off the bathroom renovations when his Cobra is fixed.

Cheers

Old 06-26-2005, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, I failed its now in a jar. Who says you need balls to drive a Cobra (apologies to the female Cobra pilots)

Phil
Old 06-26-2005, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Look Fellas, if you good men are right then I love u all and my love is free, because my Spinners are well inside the outer most part of the rim. Probably because the wheels are so wide. I will look into it more (ie ring DMR) and find out fully. I'll just tell em I am a Rice Boy to keep the heat of our backs and keep it on those fellas who seem to ask for it.

Also have a look at my gallery cause I put a few photos up of my wheels and spinners so you good people can agree or disagree.

Blair
Old 06-27-2005, 12:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hi Kevin, Serious MVA in 1994 was the cause. 3 cars involved, one in front of me, both pasengers perished, myself left with a shattered spine but luckily no serious cord injury, and the cause of the whole mallee, the police pursuit vehical which was coming the opposite way at a speed determined in court to be well in excess of 100mph. I saw his right rear tyre shred itself and knew it was not going to be a good day.

Sadly, the female oficer in the police vehicle is now a paraplegic. Driver of police vehical didn't get a scratch.

I woke in hospital some 2 weeks later unable to walk.

In 2000 with the advance of medical engineering and stem cell research they were able to grow/graft sufficient bone bulk to allow a couple of CV joints to be fitted.

My first wife has a saying in that only the good die young
Old 06-27-2005, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Les,

Funny you should mention CV joints. With the back probelms I've been having lately I've wondered why they can't just replace your whole spine with a bunch of Borgeson universal joints connected together.

Come on medical science, get cracking.

Better, Stronger, Faster (and with spare parts available over the counter)

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 06-27-2005 at 12:16 AM..
Old 06-27-2005, 12:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Mike....My crook back is from an accident...your's is from being plain worn out from too much horizontal gymnastics.

Lucky bugga you.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The horizontal stuff is normally OK. It was page 28 of the Karma Sutra ("Pop Up" edition) that did it to me.

Cheers

Old 06-27-2005, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Mike

It was page 28 of the Karma Sutra ("Pop Up" edition) that did it to me.

Cheers
Soft cover edition I trust?.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     

Shouldn't that read 'STICKY COVER EDITION"

I have been to quiet
Old 06-27-2005, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, T56.
Not Ranked     

My spinners are fake and are held in place by two grub screws. Well, one fun morning I was cruising down F3 and spinner fell off at pace (for those of you who know the road it was coming up the hill after the Hawkesbury river (heading South) near the top and there is just nowhere to stop. I knew that for the spinner to fall off there were some other issues there so it was a scarey couple of k's to the Hornsby exit where i could pull over. It seems i did not have long enough wheel studs first time round and three had worked loose. The other two had disappeared with the spinner. I felt for the lady who drove up alongside and screamed "a piece of your f'ing car nearly hit our f'ing car..." Not much i could do at the time. Have since put longer studs in front wheels.

Toe.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Toe, Am I wrong or is the language of the female gender of humanity not unlike that of a waterside worker.

Seems wherever I go I find women/girls are more than willing to use the f$%k word as part of their standard vocabulary.

Sadly, It's never in a question form as in " Do you wanna f@#K"

Maybe I'm gettin old.