Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2005, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1st Harrison with Gen 3 , 6 speed ,Godzilla diff & brakes
Not Ranked     

Hi Phil
The good news is i have a 4.11 as well but with the 6 speed it should also cruise queit well too .
Not quiet sure on all but i know there is at least a 3.7 ,3.9 and 4.1

Cheers
Paul
Old 07-04-2005, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

The R32 uses a viscous LSD and has a ratio of 4.3. If you use a rear end out of a R32 GTR it uses a clutch pack LSD and has a ratio of 4.11. A nissan silva(S14 and S15) differential will also fit and it uses a viscous LSD and has a ratio of 3.77. They are all 200mm.
You could have one each for track or touring as R32 and Silva differentials are pretty common, relativly cheap and it dos'nt take to long to swap.

Warren
Old 07-04-2005, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by ledge

Not quiet sure on all but i know there is at least a 3.7 ,3.9 and 4.1

Cheers
Paul
As far as I know R32 Skylines only had 4.1 & 4.3. 4.1 in GTR and GT4, and 4.3 in GTST. Choice of diffs is GTR one with taller 4.1 ratio, clutch LSD(instead of viscous), larger drive shafts, finned alloy cover and hollow lightweight swaybar(if you keep it on). And if rotors are genuine, you also get factory cross-drilled curved vein ventilated rotors on GTR.

Only economical way to get a taller ratio that I know of is to use 3.7 300ZX centre and modify it to fit. OzVenom does these mods.

You buy a lot of cool aftermarket stuff for these rear ends, so I expect taller aftermarket gear sets are available, but they would be expensive.

I cruised down with my brother to Nationals last year with 4.1 Skyline rear and just Tremec with .62 overdrive. It was fine. Had taller final drive ratio in the old DRB and obviously less revs, but didn't really miss it.

Low ratio makes it a very fast and tractable car.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

The Nissan rear plus the 6 speed tremec sounds like a good combo, you probably wont need first gear starts too often.

The CR weighs in at just under 1100kg and with a std Gen 111 goes pretty well.I think a lot more work needs to be done on the suspension set up. Tubular arms with optimised mounting points would be good at the rear as there must be 60 kgs of excess metal in the std Ford suspension and a fair bit of toe change over bumps.

What does a Harrison weigh in at. I suspect they are under a 1000kg with a Lexus or Gen 111.

Paul, I think your onto a good thing with the Harrison/Gen111 combo and from all accounts Warwick seems like a good guy and thats gotta count as a plus.

Now if you have a Nissan rear end why not go the whole hog and put a Nissan front in complete with the wonderful Turbo six and AWD. A Cobra weighing under 1000kg with AWD would be awesome.Maybe next time after the lotto win

Phil
Old 07-04-2005, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil
My car is the first that warwick has done with the gen3 and he seems to think it will be a missile if memory serves me he said it should way in at a bit over 900 kg but when i get my wheels i shal put it on the weighbridge and find out for sure . Warwick was going to put the Nissan front brakes in but apparently it reduces the turning circle abit so he used commodore gear so i dont know how the 4wd would go . Prefer a turbo gen3 or what Justbetter has .mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Paul
Old 07-04-2005, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul,

As I said I think your on a good thing. I just finished an over the radiator cold air intake for the Gen 111.From what I have read on the LSI Forum this mod seems to make a big difference.One of the posts talks about a mafless tune ,cold air intake and new valve springs and resulted in 244rwkw.Mine will go back on the dyno in a few weeks so i'll let you know. Currently Ive got 210rwkw.

Phil
Old 07-04-2005, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Phil
The place in Adelaide that altered my computer in the first place said that with the cold air and a good free flowing exhaust and removing the MAF unit 350kw is not out of the question but you still need to get it onto the tarmac that is the main reason i got a Harrison he has done alot more suspension homework than just fitting a diff and brakes and lets face it his car does pretty good at the race meets he goes to.
I cant wait to get mine on the dyno but it has the standard 255kw clubsport tune on it now i think that will do till i get used to throwing it around hehehe.

Paul
Old 07-04-2005, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Harrison I built with my brother weighs 980kgs on the road with all fluids. It runs Lexus 4lt, Tremec TR3550 and Skyline R32 GTR rear.

Didn't go to any trouble to make it lighter than usual, although it will be lighter than most as it doesn't have all bolt on shiney bits, paint and a complete interior.

AWD Harrison's will come when OZVenom gets around to it. Although they won't have 6cyl. And with OZVenom they won't be normally aspirated either.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Arrow CR and Homebush side by side at Wakefield Park Raceway 2004

Hi all,

For a direct copmparison between the CR and a Homebush body look at the pictures on:

Bernie Knight photo gallery on this site.

You will see the blue Cobra next to the black and red cobra of Phil Neals.

I think this the original question about body styles. The blue Cobra - Homebush body - is on a custom built chassis and runs a live axle and modular upper and lower arms on the front. The black with red stripes is a CR. Phil can give you any details here.

Cheers

Bernie
Old 07-04-2005, 11:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Body shape comparison between the Homebush and CR..

Bernie on Hershal site again...

Here is one of my photos of the blue/white Homebush next to the black/red CR.

There are a few other photos of the body on my site gallery.

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia

Using BTSNAKES site in Phoenix Arizona....at 113.7f

Last edited by BT SNAKE; 07-04-2005 at 11:12 PM..
Old 07-05-2005, 12:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     

Hi Bernie,
In the pic i can see a few suttle differences, front and rear guard shape near the outside edge of the wheel arches. The CR looks a taller car in the pic, when i say taller even the windscreen appears larger, it may be just the pic.

Bernie did you have to do much to prep the body for paint?

Thanks to all for great replies.

Steve
Old 07-05-2005, 02:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Im pretty sure the windscreen is a standard item (dimentially at least) on all cobras. The angle the screen is set at though may be different between the too cars.

Too me, all cobras are beautiful ...although, I wish I had researched the pros\cons of the Harrison a little more before ordering the CR.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

The screens are the same but the Homebush is raked back more than the CR. Also the bodies are different, the Homebush is "thinner" than the CR.Brian at Homebush use to make the bodies for CR but they are obviously different moulds. Which one is closer to the "original" I have no idea.
The Homebush body would need more work before painting than the CR but this is not a big deal.

Probably worth attending a few NSW Cobra meetings before you decide. I was surprised at the different shapes when I went to the Skid pan day.

Either way you go your in for a blast.

Phil
Old 07-05-2005, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil,
Did you have much prep work to do before painting?

Tenrocca,
What are the pros/ cons that would make the Harrison more desirable over a CR? Just asking so i make sure i cover all the bases.

Steve
Old 07-05-2005, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

Body prep was easy, the spray painter did it.

As for your question to Tenrocca: Harrison is lighter. Harrison seems to have better engineered suspension. You would need to check with local engineer as to whether this is acceptable in NSW. Ian deliberately uses parts from production cars as they all meet NSW ADR compliance. There are guys in the NSW club with Harrisons so probably best to talk to them or direct with Warwick.

One of the major advantages of the CR is the body comes off so its easy to install mechanical bits.

There are a lot of guys on this site who have Cr's so the support is good.

One other thing is that I have never heard a bad word about Warwick on this site or any club get together.

Phil

Iam in Townsville at the moment for work. Boy do I envy these Queenslanders weather. At least in Winter.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil,
Thanks mate, i wouldn't like to be a Queenslander after tomorrow night

Steve
Old 07-05-2005, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Steve,

I agree with Phil. If there wasnt so many guys on this forum building CR them my choice might have been different. I do like that the CR body isnt bonded, although Ledge will tell you he never really found that a hassle on his harrison. The lack of deep dish rear end was something I never considered, however for me thats not such a big deal. I didnt realise how much lighter the harrison is then the CR, but its going to be rocket regardless. Other factors to consider:

waiting time. The CR waiting time is 4 - 6 months which suited me fine, as I wanted to place the order but wasnt ready to start work too soon. Harrison wait at the time was 6 weeks.

Price. The harrison kit does look a little less expensive. Make sure you get the most up to date prices off Ian and Warrick. Ive been able to get the front and rear suspensions at pretty good prices....it pays to shop around!!. I know the CR site prices are not up to date (significantly), and Ians prices do change. Warrick quoted me $500 to ship the kit to Sydney, which I thought was pretty good. Ive never heard a bad word said about Warrick.

Definately get out to a NSW club day if you can. Like Phil said the shapes can vary quite a bit. I personally like the CR as to me it looks a little more "chunky", where as the harrison looked a little longer. Could be my eyes playing tricks though.

cheers,
Andrew
Old 07-05-2005, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Chalk and chalk??

Hi all,

I don't want to delay a purchase....but perhaps wait until you see the different kits at the Nationals at Wakefield Park raceway and then make a decision.

My Cobras screen is raked back about 50mm, this has been done as I sit very low in the car. The photo has me sitting up!!.

My gallery has some side views.

My floor is below the chassis and my seats are straight onto the floor with out runners. These little things make the Cobra more pleasant on long trips.

I have done just on 33,400 total in about 14 months in the Cobra, I think there is about 25,000 showing on the speedo as it was not connected due to a faulty unit.

Aussie Mikie has my Cobra in his garage next to the CR he has. Perhaps PM him to take some photos of differences.

However my Cobra is a Homebush body only - just the glass body nothing else is from a kit supplier other than jewellery etc.

As you can see by the ALL COBRA TALK site I don't mind driving and having fun. Especially if it's someone else car and their paying!!!

Cheers

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia

On BTSNAKES site in Phoennix Arizona......its 117f
mt. Gambier South Australia.

Last edited by BT SNAKE; 07-05-2005 at 09:24 AM..
Old 07-05-2005, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. LS1, T56, Billy Cart
Not Ranked     

Hi Skulper, my co conspirator and I have just recently started a CR build and the decision to go with CR was based on a couple of things.

1. Many guys on here, building and have built CR's, with entensive knowlegde and experience, and have been really helpful. As you have seen, just ask the question and you get heaps of useful information.

2. You can pretty much use "off the shelf" components. Whilst I am mildly competent with a spanner and a welder, I am certainly no mechanical engineer. So sourcing and reconditioning was a big plus for us.

3. With an LS2 or LS1, it is going to be a much better car than I am a driver, and I am sure that I will have many moments, where I wish I owned a dry cleaning business.

4. Like Phil, I live in Sydney, and only about half an hour from Hornsby, so if I get stuck, it's a short trip to Ian.

Lastly, I can certainly attest to going out to a Skid Pan day. The range of Cobra's at the day is amazing and everybody is happy to help and talk about pro's and con's. Very worth while ..

Not sure where you live, but if you want to have a real close look at a chassis that only has the basic suspension on it (see gallery), then you are more that welcome to come and have a look and a chat.

Cheers

Churchy
Old 07-05-2005, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hey Churchy, That's an evil looking couple of dudes playing freddy flintstone and barney rubble in your gallery.