Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2005, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     
Default Sidepipe Advice

Dear Aussie Pals, I have been looking through everyones pics and wanted to know where everybody bought their sidepipes from? There are many different shapes and sizes and colours for that matter and I was wondering why you, the owners of Cobras, chose the setup you have and where you bought these from.

I am asking this because it's time for me to get my very own set of sidepipes and I think it is of great importance to the overall look and feal of the car.

How big is the diameter of main pipe and what are the diameters of the four header pipes which lead into the main pipe?

I 'think' I want BIG pipes, not little ones! So if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Blair
Old 07-07-2005, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lucus shell, Arrow chassis, efi 5L HO, 5 spd supra, Diff 3.73:1, Rear tyres 275x60-15
Not Ranked     

Hi Blair, will your car be running on gas or petrol? as this can help with the type of exhaust system (side pipes). I didn't buy mine, I fabricated the full exhaust system but I can give you the sizes of my pipes, your 5.2L engine/whipple charger setup would determine your pipe sizes to use. My engine is a windsor EFI 5L

I like BIG pipes too! So I twin-skinned my quad pipes to make them look fatter.

My system is consisting of 1"5/8 equal length primaries +/-5mm total length to collector, twin skinned 2" quad pipes with metal finished seamless joints (many pain staking hours involved here), 4-into-1 2"1/2 collectors, flanged joints for the catalectic converters (cats 4"1/4 Dia) & mufflers (18"x3"1/2) flowing into 2 custom side pipes, and a 4"1/2 OD chrome stacks to slide over the mufflers & cats.

It's a hell of alot cheaper to build them your self, if you want some thing differant

Simmo...

Last edited by simon clemens; 07-07-2005 at 06:41 PM..
Old 07-07-2005, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

If you are a handy fabricator and have the tools then like Simon said, "build them yourself".

I built my own complete system. There are cats inside the sidepipes and they strip aparrt so you can re-pack or change baffles. I've got a couple of different baffles. One quieter set with cats and another free flow set without cats.

My headers are 1 7/8" and they step up to 2" at the flange where they connect to the side pipes. The bends where they come out of the guards are 2" and they run into a 3 1/2" collector. The muffler body is 4 1/2" tube and the tip steps back down to 3 1/2"

There are a few pics of them in my gallery.

Cheers

Edited for spelling (fat fingers)

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 07-07-2005 at 07:08 PM..
Old 07-07-2005, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Not Ranked     

Mike,

that Silver Cobra in your gallery looks like it was taken outside the old House of Cobras in Orange CA?

Yes?

Cameron
Old 07-07-2005, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

That was a georgeous Superformance sitting outside the courthouse in London Ohio at DVSF2. This was the car that made my mind up on painting my car Titanium silver.

Cheers

Old 07-07-2005, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF under construction
Not Ranked     

Damn, another titanium cobra. Well, they say titanium is the new silver.........
Old 07-07-2005, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Not Ranked     

Looks like there will be a new class for the Nationals.... Titanium class...

I like the polished Knock-ons... I would be too lazy to clean them , but they look great.

Blair,

I just had a look at your gallery.... as Les would say Gawd... you're gonna have that car done in a week at this rate! Looking mighty good

Cameron
Old 07-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

Look under my posts for side pipes. 4 inch and easy as a whistle to tune.

Bruce
Old 07-07-2005, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

London Ohio - Superformances' everywhere - common...

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 07-09-2005, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Hey Cameron, if I have this car going in a WEEK I would be a much happier man! The weather up here today is unbelievable and I know one driveway which opens up onto a four lane overtaking section of the Bruce Highway which would feal the wrath of 2 Rear Goodyear Eagle Blue Streak Racing Tyres!

Much Thanks to Simon, but there is only one PROBLEM, I ain't that handy when it comes to fabricating, I am more of a LEGO man. Therefore I think I have come to a decision on my SIDEPIPES.

G-Force in WA make and awsome set of pipes (I think so anyway) would it be hard to set these up on a DRB? Rember I am just a LEGO man, and does anyone have photos of a G-Force Cobra up close so I can have a better look at the sidepipes?

Blair