Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2006, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default 5L 302 engines (revisited)

Guys

I did post such a titled thread before the server had the wobbles, I know as I got 1 hit before the thread was lost to cyberspace but I am keen to regenerate some discussion.

In essence I am keen to use a 5L HO engine in my build if allowed as they have that older style finished look in the cars ie not too plastic-ish for instance (dark side) and so forth.

The response I originally got indicated these engines were last used in 95 Mustangs. Does anyone know what the emission controls on these engines would meet in terms of ADR's? ie would these engines meet current, pre 2003? or pre 1998 ADRs, if those are the correct dates when the emission ADRs were changed. Advice on these dates would also be good.

It was also suggested a late model AU motor would be a good pick, can anyone detail the differences between the late HO engines and the circa 2001 AU engines?

I meet with my engineer tomorrow to start the arguement with Vic-Roads, so it would be good to know what my worst case fallback position has to be engine wise.

Look forward to some good posts, cheers
Old 03-19-2006, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Emissions

HI Stephen,
I have used an engine from a 1994 Mustang. My car was finally engineered and the paperwork put in in 2002 and was registered in late 2003.
This engine was ok for these ARS but they were to change at the end of that year making this engine unsuitable.

In NSW the only complient engines are from current model Australian built cars, that is why most new cobras are using the LS1 as there is no other real option.

For what it is worth the 1994 model mustang motor is a bit of a bugger, it has a lot of unique parts. Most after market products are only suitable for engines up to 1993.

The power of the dark side is strong, fight hard to resist!!!

Phil
Old 03-19-2006, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Phil

I presume a late model AU engine is going to be ok then ie 2001 - 2003 ish type era? Do these engines do meet the current ADR's or prior to the last change? When was ADR 37 in force?

The lighter weight of the dark side is attractive but not sure though that I want to sound like Darth Vader!!?!

"the power of the dark side is insignificant compared to the power of the force"

Let the Vic-Roads battle begin!!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Appears I am allowed to use a post 97 Aus engine, this rules out the HO option I was thinking about.

I'll lead with the chin and ask for comments on say a 2000 AU Tickford 302 200 kW, any takers?

I still have trouble thinking of putting a GM product in a Ford vehicle. Does this make me troubled?

Seriously, feedback on the use of an early 2000ish AU engine such as above are sought.

More particularly does anybody know of such a beast for sale?

Cheers

Slowmeister
Old 03-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Try the auto auctions that sell damaged vechiles, i had an au v8 that was writen off and it was bought as a donor vechile for a cobra. (2 years ago $8000.00 i think).
Old 03-28-2006, 02:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Drb,5.6 8tb Windsor,TFS heads,Dart Shp,TKO600 ,4link 9in diff.Ford acid rush Paint,convopro wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hi Steve,
I actually posted on your original thread so will have another go!
Its good to know you can use post 97 engines ,
and if you specifically want to fit a windsor I would search for the last of the Au3 engines ,I think they were 225 kw.
The tickford T3 strokers were 250kw but I would think these would be almost impossible to get and probably too expensive.
Things to check for...
70mm Mass air
65 mm throttlebody
24lb injectors (blue) Not orange 19lb
Cobra Intake upper and lower(staggered circular ports not oval inline)

These engines are basically the same as an american 86-93 Ho engines anyway and dont really use any of the 94-95 engine specific parts.
They do however use australian specific ECUs with smartlock etc which will need to be re connected..

Peter..
Old 03-28-2006, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Peter

Thanks for the details though my knowledge as to where to look on the engines is limited.

Your right in that the Aus bits allow for immediate compliance hence my looking but I have been told these engines (Tickfords) can be hard to source.

I stumbled across the 200kW engine by coincidence, but the timing of this discovery and state of engine, moderate front RH crash, left me wondering if all was well with this donk.

Have some time to consider options so am not rushing in, yet!!!

Cheers
Old 03-28-2006, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Drb,5.6 8tb Windsor,TFS heads,Dart Shp,TKO600 ,4link 9in diff.Ford acid rush Paint,convopro wheels.
Not Ranked     

Steve,
I would do a search on the local Xr8/tickford forum and find out all the desirable models in the 97 onward range .
I dont think you will be limited to just a few rare models and the parts I have listed above will give you a good starting base.
even some tickford fairlanes had 200kw engines.
If you at least get an engine with the listed above components 300 fwkw is pretty easy to achieve with fitment of alloy heads and camshaft.
I also think the last Au3 engines had 8 coilpacks and no distributor which is pretty obvious difference easy to spot..

cheers Peter
Old 03-28-2006, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC 302 Windsor Supra 5 speed Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     
Default 302 AU engine

Hi Stephen,

I bought a new 2000AU 302 engine for my Cobra, it was one of a bunch for sale at AMCAP. It cost me $4,000 and came with a clutch and the fuel injection system. I am not going for max performance yet and I am happy to run my car on unleaded fuel.

Interestingly, the last 5.0 L engine was produced at Cleveland Engine Plant #1 in December 2000, as part of a build ahead to supply Ford of Australia. They installed their last 5.0 L engine in a new vehicle in August 2002.
I think my engine was Ford surplus stock when I bought it in Oct 04.

My engine has a build date of December 4th 2000, so it amongst the very last of the 17million 302 engines built at the Cleveland plant.

Cheers

Ross
Old 03-28-2006, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys

Peter

In my case the car is 1997 built, now 3rd owner and never registered. A bit of creative receipting has got me into the 2004 ADR era, and so its go go to build before the end of next year if possible. Your reference to the XR8 forum should help me.

Ross

Looks like we are running similiar cars and capabilities. I might get the power bug later, but for now it's get it on the road with a reasonable motor choice.

Cheers
Old 03-29-2006, 01:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

stephen,
found this on eaby while looking for stuff , might be what ya after?http://cgi.ebay.com.au/5-4-OVERHEAD-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-29-2006, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I suspect that's one of those quad cam monsters, they really are beefy across the hips (cams anyway).

Had seen the ad anyway!

Probably need a shoe horn to get it in the car and the $$$ are probably beyond what I want to spend.

Cheers
Old 02-20-2007, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic revival 302w
Not Ranked     

Hey steve
I used an AUII 5L i bought mine from ferntree gully motor wreckers second hand for 3K not the best price but i was under the pump to get the car started so it fell in the adr37 guide lines, he also had a stroker there TE50 which he wanted 8k for it, not real good value for money when you consider its basically the same motor with a stroker kit crank girdle and minor head work, its an awesome combination but i think you can get better value for money if you built yourself from scratch.
if you want more than 400hp get an svo or world block but in std trim im happpy with it, it's smooth heaps of grunt and its reliable.

cheers
jess
Old 02-20-2007, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

I just love hearing happy thoughts from FORD owners
Old 02-20-2007, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure how this old post re-appeared - the moderators must be having fun - but history now shows i have a 220 AU2 sitting in the car and urging me to make sparks so it can rumble to life.

Am close to getting oil lines set, so once these are done I'm tempted to hook up starter and turn her over to at least lube the bits. I'm guessing the engine hasn't run in over a year and though I've hand cranked and done some lubing, I'm sure there is a need for serious oiling.

Can anyone indicate best way to reintroduce engine to life as it were?

Cheers
Old 02-20-2007, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lucus shell, Arrow chassis, efi 5L HO, 5 spd supra, Diff 3.73:1, Rear tyres 275x60-15
Not Ranked     

Steve not shure if the VIC adr's are the same as WA but I have a 1995 5L HO Mustang engine in my cobra & it passed the pits first time. It passed WA adr's in November 06, about 3 months ago!

Might be of some help to you?

Simon.....
Old 02-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Hi Stephen

Make sure you have petrol, oil and coolant in all the right spots

Then crank her

After it fires and you eventually get an idle you hop around from one foot to the other whooping like the village idiot (who else would build a cobra?)

A few moments on you notice steam/smoke and shut her down rapidly with a concerned look on your face only realize that it was just some stray material on the headers.

You stand back, put your hands on your hips and grin with a starry eyed expression for the next 10 mins.

thats about it.

LoBelly
Old 02-20-2007, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hah that sounds like fond recent memories Michael. And very well described at that!!

I'm still well off firing - have no electrics but if I've got coolant and oil in the right places I do want to seriously crank the engine over. If nothing else but to scrape off the growth in the cylinders!!

Have you now a legal ride? For just club events or more liberal use?

Cheers
Old 02-20-2007, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lucus shell, Arrow chassis, efi 5L HO, 5 spd supra, Diff 3.73:1, Rear tyres 275x60-15
Not Ranked     

Steve just missed your last post by 3 mins.......... oh well

Hope all goes very well with the rest of your build, I just took my valve covers off and poured new engine oil all over the rocker gear, replaced the covers and intake and fired it up.

Simon........
Old 02-21-2007, 02:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I spoke to a professional "hotrod" electrician and his reason for the Chev...(Americas' VW) popularity, was that they had one,straight forward, computer whereas Ford (Americas' real hotrod source) had two computers and they were a little more complicated to wire in.
my 2-cents worth,
Smithy