Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. LS1, T56, Billy Cart
Not Ranked     
Default T56 Gearbox Mount CR

Hi Gang,

Well the LS1 rebuild is under way and I got to thinking how is the gearbox mounted. I have the patented Classic Revival piece of 3mm flat bar between the cross members and wanted to know what other CR builders with the mighty LS1, T56 combo have done for the gearbox mount.

Is it a standard GM mount, or do I have to weld or fabricate something ?

As with other matters regarding this Cobra building stuff, I have no idea how to mount the gearbox.

Cheers
Old 06-27-2006, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

I will need this one too.

My understanding is that a mount needs to be fabricated to suit a neoprene bush or two.

From memory someone has a pic in their gallery of one.

If we can get a drawing or borrow one I can get it made up at work.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 06-27-2006, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival.
Not Ranked     

This is a simple way of mounting the box using a standard VX era rubber mount. I cut Ians plate and welded a couple of tabs to the side to bolt to the chassis. The holes through the chassis have crush tubes welded in place and take a M12 fine thread bolt. Simple but does the job.

Cheers, Dale.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

That looks like a good setup Dale, very neat.

I also cut off Ians cross member mounts as I thought they were in an awkward position. I welded new ones in with nuts welded on the back so you just screw straight up into them.

I did a nolathane one using spring shackle bushes. I've changed it a bit since this one and the mount now bolts to the cross member rather than welded. makes it much easier to remove and work on.

Newer mounts that I've supplied with gearbox conversions use Ians original cross member position. I've also switched to rubber bushes because I reckon the nolathane bush hasn't got enough give compared to the flex in the engine mounts.

I've got a pic of the newer design on my home PC somewhere. I'll try to find it and post it.

Cheers

Old 06-28-2006, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the pic I found, was planning to do something similar.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hey - that mount looks familiar.

Beejay, it is made from shackle bushes out of a hilux but I am not overly happy with it, But I do like the look of Cobbindale's mount.
The bolt that runs through the centre of my mount is difficult to get at.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Here's what the last couple looked like. Two bolts run up through the original X-Member and into nuts welded into the mount. Makes it easy to remove the whole thing from under the car. Unbolt the mount from the cross member and then un bolt the cross member. It's then easy to get at the bolts attatching it to the gear box.

Shackle bushes are Mackay rubber bushes and are pressed in with a steel crush sleeve pressed through the center.

The pic shows it bolted down to a pallet for shipping. It's not a new light weight wooden gear box cross member.

Cheers

Old 06-28-2006, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any chance you have a drawing Mike?

That mount looks good enough for me!

Ben
Old 06-28-2006, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

Same here mate, if you have a drawing or a price ??

I would be very interested in not developing a new wheel when a perfectly good one already exists.

Cheers
Old 07-04-2006, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

Are you able to take a couple of quick measurements and I will weld one up. Also could you point in the right direction as to where I would buy the shackle bush. The rest should not be too hard.

Cheers
Old 07-14-2006, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

How do you guys reckon one of these guys would fit?

Here is the ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MakeTrack=true

I dont know if these are anywhere near the same size as the T400/350 box

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boxhead,

I emailed the seller. Here is his response.

Ben

Hey there, thanks for your interest in the transmission mount.
The mount will fit a T56 as the mounting holes on the T56 are listed as 3.75" or 95.3mm which matches the mount.

It is designed to be a direct replacement of a Chev type mount and fasteners are provided to suit a range of crossmember thicknesses.
Height = 55mm
Width = 55mm
Hole pitch (gearbox) = 95.3mm
Hole pitch (crossmember) = 38.1mm

Shims are also available if required which can be fastened to the base of the mount using the 2 small additional holes.

If required a custom top or lower section of the mount can be made up to suit an existing application.

Please dont hesitate to contact me directly if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Mark Georgiadis
Old 07-16-2006, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

55mm tall, I better go and measure my current mount, I want to try and get the box lower at the back.

Cruising in 5th

Old 07-16-2006, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

the ebay mount is a bit pricey I could make one for the price of the bushes and in about 2 hours .
Old 07-16-2006, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Boxhead, I designed and manufacture the transmission mount that Beejay posted above. He suggested that I post my details here for you as you may require one of these or a custom mount. Considering your last post, I should mention that this mount can be manufactured to a minimum height of 45mm which may be of assistance if you are trying to mount the gearbox lower. I generally keep quite a few of these mounts on hand so they can be sent out same day. If you have any other requirements for fabricated products or questions, feel free to contact me at amarkg@optushome.com.au.

Cobra.au, thank you for your opinion. I was wondering what you think would be a reasonable price for the "ebay mount" and which quality product(s) you're comparing it to when making your decision?

Regards,
Mark Georgiadis
Old 07-16-2006, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

Mark as you will find out on this site the majority of cobra builders will make as many components for there cars as they can (depending on there ability) and we will even do small production runs to supply each other.

Don't take offense to my comment I have a full engineering workshop at my disposal (cnc mill, cnc lathe EDM, etc and fabrication shop) so looking at it from my situation it would be cheaper / more enjoyable to make the mount myself.

I know there are other people here that will make as many components as they can for there cars but there will always be others that don't have the facilities that will purchase products like yours.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2006, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Craig, you may have misunderstood my response to your comment. No offence was taken, I was simply asking for your opinion on what you thought a reasonable price would be. Seeing your response made me curious...as I have been selling this mount for a few years and customers have been happy with the price, considering there are similar units selling for 20 to $30 more.

I completely understand the position you're in to manufacture a mount and I give credit to you guys for doing the work yourselves... after all I started this as a hobby much in the same way.. helping friends out

Apologies for any confusion, I was simply after some feedback

Regards,
Mark Georgiadis
Old 07-18-2006, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mark
Personly I feel your price is very reasnoble (I am also in the manufacturing sector) when you break down the price of singular manufactured unit

$110 =

1. nolathane bushes $30 (gesstament)
2. labour 1hr+ @ $50 (not many tradesmen contract out for less an hour these days)
3. steel, assembly, bolts, paint $20 (gess)
4. $10 profit (no one's in business for nothing)

Mark when you look at making the mount as a one off (not production run) your price is very competitive if not a little to lean on profit so I suggest that you increase your price to everyone but us Cobra builders.

Cheers
Craig

Last edited by Cobra.au; 07-18-2006 at 04:27 AM..
Old 09-01-2006, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark made me up a mount to my dimensions. Very happy with the quality.

Ben

Old 09-01-2006, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now bolt it in and let us see how it looks on the chassis with engine and box in place.

Cruising in 5th