Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2006, 12:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Les, we definitely notched our windscreen outer corners into the body on our old DRB.

On the Harrison we didn't bother, but it certainly needed it as well.

My brother keeps cracking windscreens in the Harrison. We've done everything to take any sort of stress out of the frame where it mounts to the body, but they keep cracking. Don from Snake Bite suggested urethane, instead of rubber for mounting the glass. I reckon my brother just needs to stop hitting the ripple strips so hard.

Never had a problem with the old DRB in the 7 years of ownership. But...it was never raced as hard or as often as the Harrison.

Last edited by 400TT; 07-05-2006 at 02:39 AM..
Old 07-04-2006, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Craig...although no expert this is what I have found.

Urethane is certainly better because the glass screen can take its own shape rather than being forced into a shape by the insertion rubbers into a frame. With the rubber seal the glass is forced to the shape of the frame. Any variation puts stress on the glass.

Would you believe my old RMC windscreen had 3 screens in it and I didn't even leave the car park at O'Brians glass. They all cracked whilst they carried the screen to my car.

This issue about notching the cowl to get the screens to fit is $rap in my book. Blu$$y hell, the frame section is brass...easily formed to shape. The problem is of course that all cobras are different in the cowl shape...even between bodies from the same mould.

I'm gonna make a template and get trevman to modify mine if he is willing.

Cheers
Old 07-04-2006, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hehehe....Jess comes on with an innocent question and gets years of experience.

Isn't this place great.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

My screen (english one) fits the conture of the classic Revival perfectly with a constant 5mm gap accross the bottom frame
Old 07-04-2006, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I purchased about 15-20 screens thru kev in Lilydale, they still sell for $1250 1300 as for the stuff from pommy land, I wasn’t impressed, nearly sent back $8000 worth of goods due to nearly all the items were so poorly made, anyway I am looking at purchasing a screen from trevman (hi will contact you about price on wind/visors soon), and the freight from QLD to Melb was $120, so all up inc freight was $1020. And he will change the base to suit your frame, as were kev doesn’t. All kits aren’t the same, wit a change of about 10mm in the bulk head it would throw out the base of the screen. David…….PS: at $900 that’s why I cant sell them that cheep.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

The side posts of the Python screens curve up over the top and - from memory - appear to have the requisite grooves and pre-drilled mount points for visors etc.

LoBelly
Old 07-04-2006, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1991 RMC 1966 427SC replica, 302 Cleveland, Edelbrock manifold with 600 Holley double pumper.
Not Ranked     
Default Windscreens built locally

Jess,

Kevin Meyer (Vic Club Member) builds windscreens by order. Kevin lives in Croydon.

He does a great job and also makes all the windwings, visors and fittings. It will just bolt together for you. I am pretty sure he is still doing them.

Send me a PM and I will get his Phone number for you.

Cheers

TC
Old 07-04-2006, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Jess

Kevin is the chap I was speaking of. Sorry couldnt find his details to pass on to you but Tony looks like he can help. Highly recommend Kevins product mine was a breeze to fit and follows body contour well.

Leeroy
Old 07-04-2006, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

I got mine through Classic Revival. All I can say is the screen is perfect. All the holes for the visors and fittings are done and it sits perfectly on the body. Of the ones Ive seen I would avoid screens that are siliconed in and dont have the rubber gasket between the glass and frame

Regards
Old 07-05-2006, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando
Of the ones Ive seen I would avoid screens that are siliconed in and dont have the rubber gasket between the glass and frame

Regards
Hmm, we were just talking about how much better Urethane is...no uneven pressure points on the glass, like what a rubber gasket produces. Well that's one of the theories anyway.

Last edited by 400TT; 07-05-2006 at 03:12 AM..
Old 07-05-2006, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic revival 302w
Not Ranked     

thanks guys
for all your input youre right rebel it is a great place it has made decision making a lot simpler
cheers
jess
Old 07-06-2006, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I too bought mine from Classic Revival, it is an english screen and is a great fit along the bodyline. I wouldnt say perfect as it is closer in the centre than it is on the ends, but the rubber seal still stays in good contact with the body.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '85 Dax, 302W - "Street Boss", C4, Jag suspension
Not Ranked     
Post Something to ponder....

An extract I found in Trevor Legate's new book ("Cobra - the first 40 years" - P.227).

"One important detail that many replica Cobra builders consistently get wrong is the transverse curve of the bonnet. ....... if the finished panels are not correctly supported, they drop, which is why some examples have relatively flat front sections that cannot accept an original windscreen."
Old 08-10-2006, 12:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks rebel for the welcome
sorry it took a while to answer but haven't been back to the forum, been busy, I would like to try to get down to the breakfast next month so will be in touch,
trevor
Old 08-10-2006, 01:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Hey there Trevman, If I remember correctly then you make screens and frame?

there is another thread going about aero screens, I am wondering if you could make something that was just the screen uprights, maybe 6 inches tall, with a frame around the lower part and the side of the posts?

Then I could get a leaxn or similar screen cut to suit?

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i can't see why not, may need to see one or even better get a template of it
Old 08-10-2006, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

Howdy Trevman
Whats the waiting time for one of your screens? There seems to be a shortage at the moment.
I know a couple of blokes in Sydney that desperately need them. They are considering importing a couple from the US.

Brett

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter

Last edited by Shelby400; 08-10-2006 at 02:25 AM..
Old 08-10-2006, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i do have a few here at the moment and another 2 ready for chroming, but normally 5 to 6 weeks, the platers are the biggest holdup
Old 08-10-2006, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I realise this may be a little early but any ideas on a price for the 6 inch tall posts and the lower half of the frame?

Cruising in 5th

Old 08-10-2006, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

Trevman
What are your contact details?

Brett

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter