Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Question Club Plates

As mentioned by Stephen in another thread, at the last Vic Club meeting there was a relatively vigorous discussion on the proposition that the CCCV join the Club Permit Scheme run by Vic Roads.

Generally the opposition to the proposal centered around construction standards and associated liability against the club, as well as a possible deliterious effect on the value of ICV standard Cobras.

Generally those favouring the proposition were keen on the prospect of building the Cobra they'd like too taking into consideration the prospect of limited use.

Another key consideration was the ability to demonstrate to government that the Club(s) can manage the registration of replica cars as part of a movement toward relaxing the requirements of ICV for replicas - particularly Cobras and their Kin (dont we all want a Daytona and a GT40 too ).

Following that meeting I sent an email to about 80+ members (based on the CC list in Tony's emails) seeking comment.

In an attempt to broaden the input opportunities I was wondering if anyone has any verifiable experience with Club Permits and/or any thoughts on the adoption of the program.
(noting that this is a separate exercise to the registration requirements generally)

link to VicRoads page on this topic (hope it works):
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...100429411?open

Thanks

LoBelly
Old 07-25-2006, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

LoBelly

Whilst I personally do not have a CH plate I am aware of the SR plates - Special Registration plates - that the Street Rodders have.

These are handled by Con Manzaris from Doveton who is a Street Rod delegate and Street Rod Federation member.

Con is the one and only person responsible for the registration of SR cars in Victoria.

For some time people believed that SR stood for Street Rod but it actually is Special registration. I know of one Cobra on SR plates.

Again there appears to be little problem with the SR registration. And we have all seen the Street Rods that carry the plates. I don't think Con would be involved if there was a problem.

The CH plate will give Cobra owners the option of many varied set ups. This alone would be good I think. Also the CH plate appears to be very lenient in what restrictions are placed on cars. The Vee Roads people have come down hard on CH cars being hired out for weddings etc.

If a member is found to be doing the wrong thing then the club will pick that up. If the club does not and it comes to the attention of Vee Roads then the club will receive a letter and a please explain call.

I can recal reading that there is a move to extend the usage of vehicles on the CH plates. Some mention of more weekend use etc. and more days.

Again I think it is a good option. I do not see how Cobras will be of less value if on CH plates.

Mmm now for that Daytona with a 351 carbied motor and a toploader..

Just my $0.02 worth..

KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 07-25-2006 at 04:15 AM..
Old 07-25-2006, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

From what I understand if you are on a club rego then you need to nominate which days you will be driving your rod.

May suit some, but I like the idea of going for a drive whenever I feel like it!

Ben
Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

I certainly feel that a Cobra on restricted rego would be worth less. Certainly less appealing to purchase. That's assuming it cannot be full registered.

Are the rules different down in Vic, but in QLD you don't have free reign to drive the vehicle anywhere you want. Your restricted to club events, repairs, charity events, ceremonies for family members etc etc. I know this gives a bit of scope, but doesn't give you free reign.

One of the things that attracted me originally to Cobra's, was the ability of full registration.

But hey, I'm all for people using restricted rego, if that's the way they want to go.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hi there

i have just finished building my first cobra, i purchased a half built kit and finished it off. ive been told that i cannot get full reg because it doesnt comly with current ADR.
i have also spoken to Con Manzaris about SR plates and currenlty he is not doin them for cobra's and it is somthing he is currently looking into doing.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did you check with an Engineer before finishing?

Sounds like an engine swap is on the cards.

Ben
Old 07-31-2006, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

yeh i spoke to a few engineers but they all told me the only way around it was to put a ba xr8 motor or a 04+mustang motor. Both ideas were out of my budget so i just continued building with a normal carbie motor and thought i would get SR plates, so know i just play the waiting game till there available
Old 07-31-2006, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDPWR
yeh i spoke to a few engineers but they all told me the only way around it was to put a ba xr8 motor or a 04+mustang motor. Both ideas were out of my budget so i just continued building with a normal carbie motor and thought i would get SR plates, so know i just play the waiting game till there available

Or register it with a ford 6 and swap the motor after rego
Old 08-01-2006, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Or register it with a Turbo Ford 6 and leave it there.

The XR6 Turbo boys are easily getting over 300 RWKW our if those motors.

Cheers

Old 08-01-2006, 01:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Is gas an option? I know in QLD we can still get carby cars approved on gas.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

the 6cly are to long! i already thought about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Or register it with a ford 6 and swap the motor after rego
Old 08-01-2006, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT
Is gas an option? I know in QLD we can still get carby cars approved on gas.
no gas isnt an option in Vic. but can u get me any contacts in qld. maybe ill give them a call and do it up there and then just drive it back to melbourne
Old 08-01-2006, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know an injected engine will add some cost, but surely it will be worth it for re sale value, driveability, power and fuel economy?

Ben
Old 08-01-2006, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
no gas isnt an option in Vic. but can u get me any contacts in qld. maybe ill give them a call and do it up there and then just drive it back to melbourne
Doesn't quite work like that unfortunately. QLD approval is only good for QLD rego as far as I know. Interesting enough, it's seems to be quite easy to then transfer the rego from QLD to VIC. I know our old carby Cobra was simple to even transfer rego to NSW, even though when it was built it could never have been approved in NSW. Do you have any relatives up here? I've PM'd you the engineer to speak to up here.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Wink Don't quote me but...

While looking at the whole rego thing I recall a provision in the Vic legislation (or perhaps it was the regulations) that says that you can register a car if you can prove that it was registered in another state within the last 3 months.

Which might mean that the broader Cobra community might be 'trading' thier cars a bit.

I think it's bound up with the free trade between states as part of federation.

Maybe someone from QLD and SA could PM me with the rules they have or some contact numbers and we can compare notes?

ta
LoBelly

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: