Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-27-2006, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     
Default Classic Revival Spring Rates

Hi guys
I am looking at fitting new springs to my car and I was wondering what spring length & rate people are using front and rear.
I am currently on my second set from Ian and I still think that they are to soft as I have had to wind the dampeners up to help with bottoming out.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2006, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Craig,

I finally gave up on Ians springs also. Now running Kings 450lb front and 500lb rear. Theses are not much different to Ians rates but they are the rate they say they are unlike Ians Blue springs which are all over the place.

I went with 250 mm long springs but expect these to be just a bit too long and I may have to change to 200mm long with keeper springs.

The king springs are a larger id (and OD)than Ians so you will need to make up a spacer for the bottom adjuster. The springs will fit easily on the rear but you may have clearance problems on the front depending on what top arms you have. (some are straight and some curve in).

Looks like you are getting really serious about the Nationals. If you are looking for a tuner that will out do any one else for peak and average under curve power use Sonny at Marranos 9744 5355.I reckon your combo will be good for 420rwkw

Phil
Old 07-27-2006, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Can't believe these spring rates.

In that race Harrison we run 350lbs springs in the front and unknown in the rear. Front's are King Springs.

We bought 2nd hand springs for the rear, so don't know their exact rating. They are not as stiff as the front.

That Harrison would be much lighter than a finished CR. But 350lbs in that Harrison feels very stiff, maybe too stiff for road use.

Last edited by 400TT; 07-27-2006 at 04:03 PM..
Old 07-27-2006, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneall
Craig,

Looks like you are getting really serious about the Nationals. If you are looking for a tuner that will out do any one else for peak and average under curve power use Sonny at Marranos 9744 5355.I reckon your combo will be good for 420rwkw

Phil
Sonny would be my recommendation for Sydney siders, he'll put the time in to the tune to perfect all parameters - he's not just a "one flash wonder".
Old 07-27-2006, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Gday 400TT,

I think its hard to make direct comparisons between spring rates, becuase of the different suspension geometry. You need to consider shock mounting points, angles and leverage, length of arms etc. In the CR a lot of the extra weight is in the AU rear end suspension arms as well (im guessing - as they weigh a ton), and this is actually "unsprung weight" as well.... so basically theres a lot of things to consider.

Cobra.AU, Through a hilarious set of circumsances (just ask me) I have some spare springs (maybe 2 lots of spares). 2 x 10" 400 (going on my rear) a 2 x 10" 425 (going on my front). I think I really stuffed up as I think I need 200's with a keeper (as Phil said), but Ill see how I go with ride height once I get it going (might be OK, as my shocks are a touch longer).

Your welcome to try them out if you like. They are QA1, and have an ID of 63mm through, whereas the avos standard is 65mm so not sure if they'll fit.

Cheers
Old 07-27-2006, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm using the Kings springs at the rates that Ian has specified, I find them great for street cruising, I have not used them on the track, don't have the ability, wallet or required pair to give it a go. I don't find it too harsh as I have some rough roads. I am using the AVO shocks and have not started to play with the settings. I find it a little soft under acceleration and when the speeds reach 100 +.

Can anyone advise me in relation to what damping settings they are running and also what wheel alignment settings they have. I think that mine are all set to factory standards. I believe that Ian advises different settings for front and rear when it comes to alignment. Any suggestions.

Steve
Old 07-27-2006, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca
Gday 400TT,

I think its hard to make direct comparisons between spring rates, becuase of the different suspension geometry. You need to consider shock mounting points, angles and leverage, length of arms etc. In the CR a lot of the extra weight is in the AU rear end suspension arms as well (im guessing - as they weigh a ton), and this is actually "unsprung weight" as well.... so basically theres a lot of things to consider. Cheers
Yeah, I've taken that into account, still surprising though. Most Harrison's wouldn't go near 300lbs, maybe 250lbs.

My GT40 runs 180lbs front, 250lbs rear.

Would be interesting to see weight difference between Ford & Skyline. Nissan has gone to be a bit of trouble to make it lighter, lots of alloy, hollow sway bars etc, so Skyline should be lighter.

The Harrison runs R32 Skyline GTR rear. With complete diff, cradle etc, springs & shocks. My brother and I could not lift it off the ground by ourselves. All we could do was lever it onto a trolley to install by both lifting a side at a time. We got a bit of a shock, as it's something you don't expect. Installing the old Ford 9" in the last Cobra was a breeze, but then again it was bare - no springs, arms etc.

Last edited by 400TT; 07-27-2006 at 05:53 PM..
Old 07-27-2006, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

I also gave Ians the mighty flick as they are all over the place and I suspect ratings are not correct.

I now have 350lb kings (front) and 400lb Eibach (rear) Seem great on the road but no track action yet so jury is still out on how good setup is.

Still not 100% sure on how setting up the dampening rate effects handling etc. Any thoughts here would be appreciated. Craig you & your brother are up on that stuff whats your thoughts please.

Leeroy
Old 07-28-2006, 01:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

I could always put some really stiff springs in and try some Drift racing at Wakefield.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra.au
I could always put some really stiff springs in and try some Drift racing at Wakefield.
Seriously you could do that up here. We have Powercruise Event coming up soon at Queensland Raceway. Plenty of Drift, Drags, Dyno action. My brother John entered it last year with the Harrison. The only Cobra I know that has competed in Drifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy
Still not 100% sure on how setting up the dampening rate effects handling etc. Any thoughts here would be appreciated. Craig you & your brother are up on that stuff whats your thoughts please.
Leeroy
I'll start by saying I'm no expert. But here is my take. Start with dampening set to middle for front and rear. On the track if it's pushing a lot, you need more dampening on rear. If it's oversteering you need to drop off dampening on the rear. Overall you end up with generally more dampening on front and less on the rear. I know when John added front sway bar he needed to added a lot more dampening to the rear to compensate, he didn't have to change the front as far as I know. For road a lot of it comes back to comfort and stopping the car bottoming out on rough roads. So expect to have different settings for road, compared to track.

Last edited by 400TT; 07-28-2006 at 02:18 AM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: