Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 02:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Compliance information

I though it might be useful to post correcting a few of the compliance furphies floating around as well as providing other compliance info. from time to time.

Know it is only reasonably relevant at this point in time and some info. was based on old ADR requirements but getting a build right under the current ADR's is easier if done right the first time - so the few confirmed to-date through my engineer at Enkelman.

Shiny reflective bits (bezels, chrome trim etc) in the driver's vision don't matter as the ADR regulating reflective parts was repealed some time back.

Use of pod filters is acceptable provided the necessary sensors and/or meters are retained in the intake system somehow. EPA was convinced about 3 years ago that the filters play no part in ADR regs. This means a suitable hose can take you to the best possible underbonnet location to set up your intake filter location.

Bonnet locks don't appear to be considered a protrusion.

There is no size limitation on mirrors for the cars but there are technical measurements to determine if adequate rearview vision is being achieved. The bullet mirror inadequacies I feel can be overcome by a large (wide) central rearview mirror to achieve the viewing angles needed.

I am planning to use the large clunky looking XD version glued to the screen, not as pretty as the old sports mirror, but I would prefer to avoid trouble with good vision than have an accident using a pretty mirror!

Minimum road clearance 100mm - for some reason I had thought this was 150mm or 6 inches. Can anyone comment if the 6 inch dimension was an old clearance limit?

Will post other compliance bits down the track.

Happy building!

Cheers

Steve

ps just roughed in my fuel tank location tonight, completely beneath boot to maximise boot space, but tank is a bit lower than some I have seen. Will a marginally lower tank cause issues with driving?

maindon't seem to be followedto this time frame
Old 08-11-2006, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Ground clearance has always been 100mm as far as I know, (you should be able to pass a can of Coke under the lowest part of the car). Bear in mind that the lowest part of the car includes the exhaust system, with most lowered cars it's usually the cats or extractor flanges that cause problems.

As long as there is something lower than the fuel tank you should be right, (on our cars the front crossmember is pretty low).....
Old 08-11-2006, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

also stickers, fan warning, brakes master and emmisions, three wipers, hi tail brake light, E11 lights (glass), side indicators, tyres??? got rod's car thru with 295 and 235 bfs and spoked rims, charcoal canister, over flow line back from the filler neck to the tank, battery well vented, vdo gaugers (or simler) 8 or 9 didget?, bonnet secured but dosn't need locks, o2 cencors, cats, 87db?, retractabul seat belts with no slop in the belt, red rear refletor, revers light, padded front bulk head (the section above the dash ) but you gust need the passanger side done, padded sun visors, ADR aproved seats (year, i think its mid 80s on?????, dont hold me to that), 750mm fromt the top of the base of the seat to the top of the head rest inc runners, and the engine??????????. that what i did last year and used inkelman (collin young), he was a good bloke to, sad to see him go........the bastards.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Just remember that there are different rules for each state. And then each engineer has their own interpretation of those rules.

The rule about "chrome in the field of vision", it's hit us twice. We had to cover up shiney bits on both Cobra builds.

We also had to run a stock air filter.

Go figure...

There is only 1 rule when it comes to complying Cobra's: Do exactly what your engineer says to do.

Hey no one has mentioned the really important stuff like...seatbelt warning light that automatically lights up for 10 secs when ignition is turned on. Or I know, the labels that need to be stitched into the seat belts that warn occupants that the vehicle has not been crash tested. Or is this just a QLD thing.

At least we didn't have to put 3 wipers on the last Cobra to get it approved.

Be worth measuring the clearance that the old DRB fuel tanks had. They drop down fairly low. The only problem is, the rear body on a DRB doesn't seem to have as much droop as most other bodies, so it might have more clearance than you would expect.

Photo below is of a standard DRB fuel tank. On a long trip, with a highly polished tank, with the right light, it's a killer following one of these cars. After a few trips interstate, you quickly learned not to follow to close.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     

You don't nead the three wipers any more the ADR's now say clear field of view for the driver only. The old rule was 90% of entire windscreen, ask you r engineer to look the rule up again. The problem we all have is keeping up with the changes, so do the engineers.

Steve
Old 08-11-2006, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Thanks Slowy

I'll confirm shiny bits and pod filters are ok here in Vic.

I also know of Cobras, recently engineered, that had no problems with bonnet locks.

I know that bullet mirrors don't adequately give enough vision over the rear wheel arches. So they're no good. Usually people mount crappy side mirrors on the side of the windscreen which are then replaced with wind wings.

Minimum ground clearance is 100mm but people can often forget that the headlights need 500mm clearence from the bottom of the lens.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

well i didnt know about the 2 wiper set up, is this for NSW, also on the (this cah not been crash tested) we are asked to put a plaque on the dash, this way its easer to pull of later, i mean fall of.

the bright bits that sit in front of you like screen, bonnet locks, mirror, gaugers etc, etc can be covered by black tape or paint them with kids paint, as it washes of, but dont leave it on too long as it has a tendasy to stain. or drive it in the wet.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Interesing that we have never had an issue with the following:

Side mirrors - could never see a thing at of them on either Cobra.
Bonnet Locks - anything goes.
Headlights - the cars had 100m ground clearance, so expect that headlights were high enough. You also need 500mm height for side indicators.

And we also get a few people pulled up for not having full bumpers front & rear.

Has this scared anyone off from building a car yet.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

side mirrors, yes thay are just for show, doug at lilydale has a orignal style mirror that has longer base. but as to the front and rear bumpers???.

bonnet locks got pulled up on a few car in the early days, but seams to be ok now.
and the headlight hight is 500mm from the grond to the base of the headlight rim, but when we started to do the cars, we spoke to a few guys around and we found a fault in the ADR discription, it dosnt exacly determan as to were the rim ends or starts, so do you take it from the extreme edge or from the edge of the elumnated (hope thats right) edge of the lends. we found that one of the nells cars had tape over the light to bring the car down a couple of inches, so if you had lowerd the car at the light by 1" the wheal would be around 1 1/2".
also with the side indecator, most guys/girls put them in betwen the vents so they fll of later or dont put the vents in and put them in the glass to be cut out later.
this why it's hard to build one car in one state, with an engineer from another state............dont you love it.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

I spoke to an Engineer today.

For NSW, shiny bits are now OK in field of vision, but bonnet locks are still not legal.

Cheers,

Ben