Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2006, 11:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Hi Schipps, I dont think it maters where your kit comes from, youll overcome any problems that arise with the kit you end up choosing by asking other builders as well as the manufacturer. If you think your going to get any knowledgeable answers from Classic Revival your dreaming. I bought my kit never having seen one, and couldnt believe how poor the body construction was, and the fact that the rear wheels dont have any dish. This rear dish problem exists on the Harrison as well.
Have a look at Plums gallery and see the quality of the G-Force. Look at the door sill that is part of the body as well as the shape of the guards. While this kit isnt perfect either I think the end result is much closer to the original than most other choices. The one thing I would get G-Force to do is install a Jag rear end with outboard brakes instead of inboard brakes.
Another good looking kit is the RMC.

Regards.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Schipps, I must echo Mando here, pick the kit that suits you and that your most happy with. Distance is not really a barrier. You shouldn't comprimise because one supplier is just around the corner. You can get all the help you need here.
I brought my G-Force in '90 and people were amazed at the quality finish of the f/glass. I believe Rob now has an even better body.

Last edited by David Hodgson; 09-08-2006 at 12:13 AM..
Old 09-08-2006, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando
This rear dish problem exists on the Harrison as well.
Only with Harrison fitted with Skyline R32 rear end. Why pick Skyline rear, it's just fasntastic bang for buck. That's why we used it on our Harrison. If you want independent rear and deep dish, then talk to Harrison, it will be worth you while.

Yeah, that G-Force body looks trick. Although I am skeptic of the massive prep time savings being thrown about, especially after taking to paint guy that does most of the Cobra work up here. But to me a saving is a saving and less body work, means less possible problems in my books.

Not bloody old Jag stuff again. They don't even come with wheel speed sensors.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Schipps,
I bought a Classic Revivval due to most of the components being unmodified factory bits.
To me if CR goes belly up there will never be a big problem with spares. Many kits use parts exclusive to their own kit. To me as I am relatively remote was a real issue.
I will echo what the other guys have said in that the best build manual is this forum.
However I do disagree with one of Mando's points and that is the positive offset of the wheels on the CR. I think it gives the car a more modern look, I am not trying to replicate an oridgonal but are building an older looking modern, sports tourer.
Your choice will realy depend on what look or style you are expecting to achieve.

Lastly you do realise Shelby approached Chevrolet first, don't you?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I didn't like the CR's shallow rear dish at firs either. Once I got my wheels built and looked at it long enough it really grew on me.

Best advice I can give is to look at as many different Cobras as you can. Then sit down with a pen and paper and write down all the features that are important to you ie body shape cost etc. Prioritise them and then go look at the different kits with those priorities in mind.

Ask lots of questions on the forum here and your sure to get a bunch of useful info back. Some of it may be coloured by personal experience good or bad but you will get a feel for which kit will suit you.

Cheers

Old 09-08-2006, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

G'day Mick,
I'm in NSW. When I bought my Cobra from a WA producer I asked If there was an instruction manual and the reply was...If you need instructions you shouldn't be building one of these cars ! That man has sold his business and the new owner is much more approachable and very helpfull.
I am nearly finished after 6 years......don't be disheartened or mislead about the time span...I'm just fussy and slow ! Good luck with your search and purchase.
Smithy
Old 09-08-2006, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

I think that the body finish is not a factor of time/money saving, but shows the overall quality put into a product.

I am a fan of the original not modern looks of a Cobra, however if G-Force is still using Jag rears, I think they are missing out on the advantages of late model rear ends.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I love the Ben Hur look there Mike,

Still I also like the look of a deep dish wheel.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Schipps, I think the most important thing (appart from the look)is the chassis design/ strenght of the vehicle - if it aint strong, it aint going to handle. That is why I spent my money on the Classic Revival. I don't know about anyone else, but I found Ian to be extemely helpfull both before & after purchasing. His manual runs to over 50 pages of very useful info & any additional info I needed he cheerfully supplied no problem. This seems to be why he has customers all round the country building his kits!
I suggest you give him a call or email & see for yourself how helpfull they are.
Chris
Old 09-10-2006, 12:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Chris,

Did you build your car or was it a turnkey?

You are the first person I have heard that has glowing reports of Ian.

Ben
Old 09-10-2006, 12:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

Come on Ian is allowed to have a good day every now and then it just seems that Chris was lucky enough to strike everyone of them.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Also I am wondering about the glowing report of the 50 page manual that is "very useful"

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Thanks guys, but you are all starting to confuse me on which shape is what. I think Craigs idea of taking piccies of the different bodies at the Nationals is a great idea. I just want a Cobra...I thought I had it narrowed down to CR or a DRB, then I swung over to a Harrison or DRB.
I have to say though that Ian at CR has helped quite a bit with his answers to my questions and seems willing to email replies very quickly. DRB send out a lot of info as well. I am really looking forward to November and meeting Craig and a tour of the Cobra places around the Gold Coast and meeting a few of you guys at the November CLub meeting.

regards

Mick
Old 09-10-2006, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mick, the only sad thing is that I doubt you won't see a single CR at QLD Breakfast. We only have one in the club and it's the same old CR that David Samson built. It's rare to see it now.

Although Ian's CR product is good, it's pretty difficult for him to compete on home turf of Harrison and DRB. Especially when both of these manufacturers are so strong in their support & participation of local club. Actually both support club at National level as well, especially Warwick Harrison who will attend & compete at both Shelby Fest & Nationals this year, now that's enthusiasm.

Same goes for all the other brands. Expect to see a few old RMC's. We have a few Robnells in the club, but you don't see them often either.

Last edited by 400TT; 09-10-2006 at 04:00 PM..
Old 09-10-2006, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Totally agree.

The Harrison is a better choice anyways.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     
Default Deep Dish

Gotta luv deep dish

My Cobra is a RCM (not to be confused with RMC or RC) made by Laurie Bongailas. RCM's are common in Vic but I don't think any have left the state. Btw the rear end is a shortened and beefed up Jag rear
Old 09-10-2006, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Very nice Al.

Nuffin like the deep dish a jag ar$e end will give ya.

And.......

Those wheels look real trick.

Cheers
Old 09-10-2006, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Thanks Les. on't be too long now before the wheels are turned in anger
Old 11-18-2006, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the input guys. I have finally done it and put in my order for a Cobra. I have gone with the Harrison kit for a couple of reasons. One is Warwick Harrison and the way he has refined his kit to suit a wide variety of builders. If he can make it simpler for the builder, he builds it into his product and he is a Great guy to deal with. Secondly, he is in Qld (home of the premiership winning BRONCOS) and not too far away if, sorry that should be When, I get into trouble with the build...

Thanks again you guys for answering all of my questions so far. So now I have a LONG LONG 16 weeks or so to wait now...
A big thanks to 400TT and 07COB for the tour a few weeks ago.

ANyone have a spare LS1 and T5 lying around...

cheers
Old 11-18-2006, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Congrats, you won't regret the purchase of a Harrison. Warwick will try to help you any way possible with your build.

It was no problem showing you around and was great to be able to catch up in person.

Hmm, LS1 & T56. Sounds like you've finally made your drivetrain choice. The first of many, many decisions.

Last edited by 400TT; 11-18-2006 at 11:21 PM..