Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 01-19-2007, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival (CR3204) 6ltr s/c, T56 6spd
Not Ranked     
Default CR3204 Progress Update

Hi all,
Thought it about time that I posted some progress shots.

For those of you that don't know, I started my build around April 06' and it is currently at the rolling chassis stage. I've still got a little work to do on the brake lines, but will probably wait until the body is back on to finish the connections onto the master cylinders. Although I've worked out the fuel tank mounting and have most of the bits for the fuel system, none of the fuel lines are run yet. That will be one of the next tasks.

This will be pretty much a stock CR build (at least until registration ). The only exception so far has been a front brake upgrade. One of my earlier concerns was the differing stud patterns between front and rear. At the recommendation of Aussie Mike, I contacted my new friends at Hoppers Stoppers who supplied me with the necessary bits and pieces to convert the front hubs to a Ford stud pattern as well as supplying me with new slotted rotors, pbr calipers etc.

To get my beast mobile , I now had to find some 15" rims to fit over my new brakes. I had trouble finding some temporary steel rims, hence the 15" alloy rims off a Fairlane (I think they're called snowflake's), which fit with millimetres to spare. I got this set pretty cheap and figured that I should be able to offload them when I'm done with them. I haven't made a final choice on rim type yet, but I'm leaning towards the Boyd Smoothies II. I've always liked these rims and have seen them on a few cobra's. Not sure about offsets etc. yet.

My biggest problem at the moment is finding quality time that I can spend in the shed
Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics.
Luke....
Old 01-19-2007, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 3205
Not Ranked     

Nice work what brakes are you using ??
Old 01-19-2007, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Looking good!

Brakes and suspension look great.

Must be good to be able to remove the body. Only problem with DRB. Not being able to remove the body makes the build more difficult and a lot squeezier (got to fit into thoose small spaces).
Old 01-19-2007, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Slow427,

The front rotors are 298mm, which is only slightly larger than the old Jag rotors (280 or 285mm???). The calipers are a 2 piston PBR caliper which looks very much like the ones used on the VZ Commodores. One of the benefits of this setup is that if I choose (and my wheel size choice lets me!), I can go up to a 330mm rotor with out too much heart ache. I will only need to fabricate a new caliper bracket.

One of the things which surprised me was the weight of the Jag calipers. The PBR calipers are about the same size but only half the weight.

I can dig out the models numbers etc. if you like.
Regards,
Luke.....
Old 01-19-2007, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Cameron,
It’s amazing what a wire brush, a bit of elbow grease and a few coats of POR15 can do.

The removable body was actually one of the reasons I went with the CR. I’m almost at the stage where I’m ready to put the body back on so I make a start on some of the body work items (and so I can sit in it and make vroom vroom noises ).
Regards,
Luke……
Old 01-19-2007, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Lookin good Luke.

You have made a lot of progress!

Ben
Old 01-19-2007, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Brake upgrade

HI Luke,
looks great.

I think Ian also offers the front hub set up now as an option.

May the force be with you. ( I am sure you have heard tis 200000000000000times)

Phil

Last edited by Philm; 01-19-2007 at 11:30 PM..
Old 01-21-2007, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

You're making great progress Luke. It's all looking very good. It's a good feeling getting the car to the rolling stage. A big mile stone.

Cheers

Old 01-21-2007, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival LS1 6spd
Not Ranked     

Luke

I see you are running a rear sway bar, did you get that from Ian, or did you have it made?

Rod
Old 01-22-2007, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone for the kind words and votes of enthusiasm.

As Mike said it is a bit of a milestone and a great feeling to be able to move the chassis around. I'm still trying to convince my wife to push me around the block

Phil, I think you're right, Ian does offer the option, and I would certainly recommend converting the front to a Ford stud pattern to anyone considering the CR.

And yes the force is with me, I use it constantly. BTW, I've now heard it 200000000000001 times Given that I'm going down the darkside route, my wife thinks this whole cobra thing must be sign.

Rod, the sway bar you can see is actually the one from the AU rear end. At the moment I've only got it attached to the lower control arms, but not to the chassis. I've recently made up a couple of brackets so that I can bolt the sway bar saddle brackets to the 50x50 RHS just in front of the diff. I was wandering if I should persist with this rear sway bar setup, but a few of my mechanical engineering colleagues at work crunched a few numbers said it should be ok...time will tell.

All the best,
Luke...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: