Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-13-2007, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. LS1, T56, Billy Cart
Not Ranked     
Default Body Prep ?

Hi Gang

Whilst I am waiting to find a money tree to buy bit's of bling for the Cobra. I thought I would throw out what seems like a simple question but I know will get quite complex.

I want to start preparing the body and was wondering, what others have used? What's good and what's not good? My Fibreglass experience is limited to damaging surfboards when I fall off and hit them with my melon

What did you do first? What process did you use for sanding and smoothing? What products and process did you use for the bog? Or did you use bog ?

I have no idea when it comes to body prep, but would like to do the majority myself, rather than pay somebody to have a pimply apprentice do the hard yards.

Thanks
Mark
Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Churchy, read every post 0n this site:

http://www.ffcobra.com/cgi-bin/ultim...=0;DaysPrune=0

That'll keep ya busy awhile.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Hey Les,

I have read through a lot of that forum, and Ive noticed that they repeatedly talk about grinding out the seams to remove all traces of gel coat from the joint. Do you think this is something specific to the way they assemble the FF bodies? From what I can tell (and I could be wrong here) the FF body is first layed up in the separate segments of the mold, then the mold is assembled and then addiitional layers added. This way the gel coat extends quite deep into the joint, whereas most the local kits have the bodies layed up from the first layer with the mold fully assembled. (Like I say - I could be talking\typing- out my arse here)

I dont think the guys painting the CR bodies have been as severe on the joints, just sanded them over to knock off the ridge then a coat of filler feathered either side of the joint?

Cheers.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Tenrocca, correct again mate.

That seam grinding process is not required for any of the Australia made bodies. It is, as you say, a process needed because of the sectional molds FFR used.

However, on most of the Australia bodies I have noticed a very slight "Flat" on top the front guards. Leastwise I've noticed it in RMC,s, Older G-force, BRD's and Harrisons. It is hard to pick but can be felt.

Best felt with a piece of cloth between the palm of your hand and the car when checking for it.

Because it is a very slight flat, it is often not noticed until after painting and then it is too late.

It tends to give the cars a flattish look to the front and makes the guards look wider than they are. ( normally a good thing but not in this case)

Have a really good feel for it and use a blunted hacksaw blade to get the curve when you bog it up.

You'll be cranky with yourself if you paint without fixing it cuz thats exactly where everybody looks when admiring a good paint job.

They might not notice it but you'll be conscious of it.

Hows your glasswork going now?, you happy with the rolled edges you did?.

Last edited by Rebel1; 02-13-2007 at 11:14 PM..
Old 02-14-2007, 12:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

It's a bit mis-leading when they talk about "removing all traces of gel coat". The thing they are essentially removing, is any mold wax/release agent that may be squeezed between some of the gel coat at the joins.
Gel coat in itself can be sanded and painted (as nearly all of these Cobra's are done this way). Wax, release agent or any foreign substance will wreak havoc with paint, (as I found out, the hard way).
Old 02-14-2007, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeppers Plum...to a point

The main reasons for grinding all the gel coat out was not only to remove whatever parting agents were on the surface but also to remove any voids under that gel coat. It was mainly these voids the painters had troubles with.

The way the earlier FFR cars were molded allowed for the possibility of a multitude of voids under the gelcoat at the seam . If these weren't removed then they would erupt through the paintwork at some time in the future.

Professional painters then had to repaint these cars ( no cost to the owners) so they developed this procedure to ensure it didn't happen.

Later cars are molded in a different way so don't require the grinding of seams.

The early RMC cars had a similar problem at the curlunder at the bottom of the rear guards.

Frankly, all caused by poor workmanship when laminating the glass.

You are very lucky to own a G-Force as it is one of the best bodies around...specially those from his new mold.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Good point with the voids, I didn't think of that

You are right, the G-force body is pretty good. I didn't use any bog at all, I just sprayed a couple of coats of primer on all of the seams then blocked them back to get them right, (well it looks ok to me anyway)....
Old 02-20-2007, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default Found Gold...

Rage gold, which is the body filler most recommended on the FF site. Not a lot of places have it but found it at mourans paint at wetherill park. $42 for a 3.4 litre can.

Les, that tip with the hacksaw blade is possibly the single best body tip Ive come across - One run across with that formed a perfect smooth curve over the top of the front fender...brilliant!

RE the rolled edges. I still have some work to do but the basic shape is right and I think it makes a huge difference to the finish of the cockpit - as did a few fellas who dropped in the other day. I think some are planning the same mod.

Last edited by Tenrocca; 02-20-2007 at 06:51 PM..
Old 02-20-2007, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca
RE the rolled edges. I still have some work to do but the basic shape is right and I think it makes a huge difference to the finish of the cockpit...
Yeah, we also glassed on some rolled edges to front & back edge of the cockpit on our first Cobra(DRB). Made a huge difference.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush fibreglass body and chassis, running stage2 302 cleveland on LPG.
Not Ranked     

us the back of a flexibl knife along the seams to scrap off most of the seam
Old 02-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchy
Hi Gang

Whilst I am waiting to find a money tree to buy bit's of bling for the Cobra. I thought I would throw out what seems like a simple question but I know will get quite complex.

I want to start preparing the body and was wondering, what others have used? What's good and what's not good? My Fibreglass experience is limited to damaging surfboards when I fall off and hit them with my melon

What did you do first? What process did you use for sanding and smoothing? What products and process did you use for the bog? Or did you use bog ?

I have no idea when it comes to body prep, but would like to do the majority myself, rather than pay somebody to have a pimply apprentice do the hard yards.

Thanks
Mark
There's a nice article in the latest issue of Kit Car magazine...it covers much of what you asked.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can anyone give me a run down on modern auto paints and safety. I plan to do all the body work and primer myself, then send off to get the colour done by a pro. Im confident I can do a decent job on the body work, and as the primer\surfacer get block sanded anyway Im guessing (hoping) spray technique wont be too critical. I will be using a catylised (2pak) primer\surfacer. Obviously not wanting to poison myself and or my wife, dog or kids - Is this somethign that can be done safely at home ? What products would you recommened (I know the FF site recommends featherfill, which I havent found locally) - and what safety aperatis would be required.

Cheers
Old 03-04-2007, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Andrew,
I work with quite a few spraypainters and I am sure you will find that you will need to decide (I know its hard) who is going to paint your car.
Different paint brands require different prep products.
PPG will use a different type of primer to lets say House of Colour.
At the end of the day to reduce costs and prep time, your painter is going to want a particular base to work with. Talk with him and I'm sure he will not only specify what you want, but sell you the paint and give you loads of help too.