Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2007, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Steering Column Controls

Can not make up my mind wether or not to use the steering column controls for the lights, wipers and ignition for my Harrison build. Seems to me less hassle using the current controls (laser column) and just shorten up the indicator stalk. My build will not be period correct anyway and I am not to keen on the inside looking like a helicopter with all the toggle switches.
Those guys who have used the column controls do you now regret your decision and if so why.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by macloft
Can not make up my mind wether or not to use the steering column controls for the lights, wipers and ignition for my Harrison build. Seems to me less hassle using the current controls (laser column) and just shorten up the indicator stalk. My build will not be period correct anyway and I am not to keen on the inside looking like a helicopter with all the toggle switches.
Those guys who have used the column controls do you now regret your decision and if so why.

I'd be interested in the responses to this one too. I tried my Laser stalks and the indicator stalk actually hits the side of the car.

What have the other Harrison builders done with this one???

Mick
Old 05-28-2007, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     
Default Column controls

Bruce, Mick

I bypassed the wiper and washer controls, and changed the functionality of the indicator stalk so the parkers and low beam are on the dash while high beam, pass and indicators are on the stalk.

Mick, are you using the KE (ish) Laser column. My indicator stalk is a reasonable distance from the body. I am wondering where yours hits?

Cheers

Geof
Old 05-28-2007, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Neutral     

Geof,

Yes I am using the KE laser column. I will take a picture

Mick
Old 05-28-2007, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     
Default Column controls

Mick

Here is an older photo of my column - there appears to be plenty of room for the indicator stalk.

Geof

Old 05-29-2007, 01:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: drb,5.4 ltr,jag f/r
Not Ranked     

gday guys i thought i'd drop my 2 bob's worth in,, i also have laser column and wondering what to do with the indicators and decided to rotate to left side of column and patch up existing holes,my work vehicle has all controls on opposite side and every time i get into the family car and want to turn the corner, the wipers/washers coming on and off and vise/versa what a pain in the ass!@#*,then i will move wipers onto dash along with lights on toggle switches ,although i would go for a remake on the stalk possibly stainless or aluminium,anyway just my thoughts

cheers darrell
Old 05-29-2007, 01:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Darrell
Nice to know your work provides you with a BMW or was that a Merc (indicators on the left).
I read somewhere else you were doing this and have given it some serious thought. By undoing the clamp the whole unit just flips around 180 on the column. If I make a new stem this sorts out the graphics being upside down but how would you make the steering column cover look professional with a big hole in it on the right hand side. Could you glue in a piece, fill it then paint the plastic. I would actually like to just have a round cover but how to do this ??.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Schipps
mine also hits the door top. Warrick showed me how, by undoing 2 screws holding a Y shape plate in, you can get at a small screw which attaches the inner steel shaft to the light switch. Undo this screw and presto the whole stalk comes out. You then shorten up the stalk make a new spacer (throw away the plastic part) and you ahve a shortened indicator stalk.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by macloft
Schipps
mine also hits the door top. Warrick showed me how, by undoing 2 screws holding a Y shape plate in, you can get at a small screw which attaches the inner steel shaft to the light switch. Undo this screw and presto the whole stalk comes out. You then shorten up the stalk make a new spacer (throw away the plastic part) and you ahve a shortened indicator stalk.

Bruce,

Thanks, I Will be slipping out to the shed to do that shortly, after I saw Geof's picture I was certain I had the wrong model laser column.

Mick
Old 05-29-2007, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

bruce,you could niki up the hole and paint column ,but as you say painted plastic doesnt look so crash hot, im possibly looking at 125+ mm diameter s/steel as a cover but my staino guy can only get in lengths of 6.0 mtr for 60$/mtr thats a lot of columns or a lot of prototypes,or possibly you could fill holes and top the remainder to get rid of the texture of column, sand and prep for paint ,,not forgetting the huge hole for the ignition barrell,,,,,

cheers darrell
Old 05-29-2007, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey bruce ,sorry but i dont have the luxury of a bmw or a merc but it is an italian made vehicle.........................iveco daily 3.0 ltr turbo with 14ft tray... but she's my merc,.2 year old 135,000 ks and going strong
Old 05-29-2007, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB. Engine out :)
Not Ranked     

Go the Iveco's
MP4500 505 hp 18 roadranger
Old 05-29-2007, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

macloft / schipps

Have a look at the 1st and 3rd pics in my gallery.

I grafted a hyundai combi switch on to my sigma column, but it too was hitting the door. However the hyundai stalks can't be shortened or swapped so I got around my dilema by bending the light stalk downwards as the pics show.

The stalk is still well within reach to activate all the functions but now misses that top part of the door where it flairs into the body work, even when the stalk is pushed up for a left turn signal. Knees don't hit stalk when it is down either.

Just a thought!

Cheers
Old 05-29-2007, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

Stephen,
If you have sigma column why not use the indicators from a colt. They bolt straight on as well the colt indicator cover is used which small and neat. I went this way. Although it is not the best picture of the indicatior, in my gallery there is a picture of the indicatior mech attached to the column .

Warren

Last edited by WKB; 05-29-2007 at 02:39 PM..
Old 05-30-2007, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Warren

I think when I looked I wasn't happy with the colts I saw, may have not been the best examples, but am happy with what I have so will continue down this track. Also at the time was unsure if I'd have to graft the AU gear in to match my engine computer, so the whole decision process was a little tense.

Anyway I reckon if I can manage what I did, then the others also have a fighting chance if they're happy to have a down sloping light stalk.

Like the colour of your car though, what is it?

Cheers
Old 05-30-2007, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

Stepen,
The colour is a BA falcon colour, mandarin mica. The strips were a result of my getting my wife involved with picking the colour and are going to be repainted Prysm. This is a contrast colour ford uses with mandarin.

Warren
Old 05-31-2007, 02:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ahh - you have to let the boss do something!! Even if it turns out wrong!!!!

Sorry, not quite as good as it could be!

I've had my stripes changed from black to a darker blue and the car wont be near paint for years!

Cheers
Old 06-03-2007, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey bruce, i done my column today ,rotated the indicators and cut of the other useless stuff(wipers) seems to work ok but because the inner is rotated the column cover is a bit hard to line up,i didnt want to mount it upside down but the screw holes and mounting plates are tending to make me lean towards a s/steel column cover ,,,,indicators look good but i will have to make a new s/steel stalk to suit, should be good ,,must try to post some pics one day when i work out how to .

cheers darrell
Old 06-03-2007, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Today after going to Queensland Cobra club meet (which was huge 120 + people, the caterers run out of food) and staring for hours at all the different styles of dash and columns I came home and lowered the column with a couple of packers shortened the indicator, glued up the light switch and left the washer stalk as is. I will retain the original Laser column cover with the stalks in the same position.
Now to shape the dash.
Bruce
Old 06-03-2007, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Bruce, keep us posted on things please - and pictures if possible too! My Harrison isn't far off and the column is one of the first jobs I will be tackling.
Cheers,
Paul