Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCC
I remember a certain Harlequin Cobra that ran out at the Nationals a few years back - beautiful car, but worth $90,000 then.

How can a $50,000 car compete with a similar model, but which has had $40,000 more spent on it.
You know Pete that a few cheaper cars from time to time have beaten that Harlequin beast. Not at the Nationals from memory. But our old $50k DRB, beat it at QLD AGM show one year. And I know Pete H's sub $50k DRB did it as well.

But I see what you are saying. But in all honesty I'm quite happy for someone to spend big $$$, produce a Cobra that is amazing and for them to come at the top of the field at the Nationals. I also can't see a way that we could ever police what has been spent on cars or even value of them.

I'm still behind the Top 10 idea. Throw out the notion of Street & Show class.

Keep the judging the way it is. They do a top job.

As per PhilM's suggestion, add a couple of more trophies for things like best innovation, best engineering etc.

I think it was one of the best Nationals Show & Shines for ages. It was on bitumen, the cars were spaced well apart, most people participated fully by opening bonnet/boot etc.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default No appearance of AC-460 in the Show/Shine results.

The duco which really appealed to me was on Cobra Rego No. AC-460 with the +500 c.i. motor and a pair of 300mm roll bars.

It was painted in a magnificent metallic eggplant colour. The car definately lined up in the Show and Shine, but didn't compete in any of the other events.

I thought it would win 'Best Paint', but it doesn't rate a mention on the 'Results' pages.

Does anyone have any idea why this is so?

Baz.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '85 Dax, 302W - "Street Boss", C4, Jag suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
The duco which really appealed to me was on Cobra Rego No. AC-460 with the +500 c.i. motor and a pair of 300mm roll bars.
Baz.
Hi Baz - this car is not in the entrant list - I think it belongs to Mark Liebich from Grenfell NSW. There were a number of cars that were not entered that got out for the picture, then stayed when moved for the S&S.
edit: sorry - found him at the bottom of the S&S list - no. 500 (=2nd for paint) - he is not on any of the track event lists....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT
I think it was one of the best Nationals Show & Shines for ages. It was on bitumen, the cars were spaced well apart, most people participated fully by opening bonnet/boot etc.
Spot on Craig ... the idea of moving after the photos was excellent (anyway, they are always way too close for judging when placed for the photos) - Stephen did a great job on the photos, and made sure the cars were placed in a way that was completelly unsuitable for judging - must make sure that happens all the time ....

Last edited by Ralph_C; 11-03-2007 at 06:30 PM..
Old 11-03-2007, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Philm

Phil

Well done with the trophies. Do I sense a trophy hunter now..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 11-03-2007, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Jenn Hawkins is definitely the elite level.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz

It was painted in a magnificent metallic eggplant colour. The car definately lined up in the Show and Shine, but didn't compete in any of the other events.

I thought it would win 'Best Paint', but it doesn't rate a mention on the 'Results' pages.

Baz.
i thought he and Phils cars were the 2 standouts in the paint department. Quite a few cars scored 18 along with this car - all nice paint but it was definatey a step from those up IMHO - and the amount of people admiring the paint on Mark's car would also indicate that.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Mounted

I was looking for the best engine bay trophy, I worked hard on getting that right and against common opinion most of the work was done my self, yes the welding and folding was done by shaun it is all my design and most parts were made out of cardboard first.

The radiator and shroud is all Shaun design and work.

So I accept the trophy and say yes I am over the moon with the recognition.

Baz, I accept your opinion on who should of won best paint. I feel a little awkward that you would make that statment though.

I have done what I intended to do the car was at it prettiest for the nationals, hunting more trophies yes but not S&S, I ant to try and get a trophy, or recognition for my driving, I am working hard at getting competitive here.

Phil
Old 11-03-2007, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm
I was looking for the best engine bay trophy, I worked hard on getting that right and against common opinion most of the work was done my self, yes the welding and folding was done by shaun it is all my design and most parts were made out of cardboard first.

The radiator and shroud is all Shaun design and work.

So I accept the trophy and say yes I am over the moon with the recognition.

Baz, I accept your opinion on who should of won best paint. I feel a little awkward that you would make that statment though.

I have done what I intended to do the car was at it prettiest for the nationals, hunting more trophies yes but not S&S, I ant to try and get a trophy, or recognition for my driving, I am working hard at getting competitive here.

Phil

Phil,

I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. That was the furthest thing from my mind. Your paint was exceptional too but remember that this was only MY humble opinion. Surely individuals are permitted to have their own views on things. I really liked the finish and depth of colour on Mark's car.

Youv'e got to admit that I was close in my judgement. You scored 19 for paint and he scored 18.

I don't know why you would feel awkward about me stating my humble opinion and I hope there's no hard feelings. I admire what youv'e achieved with your fabulous car.

Regards Baz

Last edited by Baz; 11-03-2007 at 11:04 PM..
Old 11-04-2007, 12:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mmmm, I'm no judge, but hell I cannot see what part of Megan resembles a horse.

I know what I would rather ride home....
Old 11-04-2007, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can someone post a picture of the top three cars...

I can remember two of the Cobras mentioned in the high point category.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default Clarification needed

Just to clarify my post Phil - you should have won paint (as you did), Marks car should have been a clear second IMHO....dont want to get in trouble there

Last edited by Tenrocca; 11-04-2007 at 01:21 AM..
Old 11-04-2007, 01:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The awkward explanation

I better explain my statement, as my feathers are not ruffled.

People who know me a little better would understand that I can get prickley about a few things but that is usually because you hit righ on an insecurity I have.

I was very concerned that the "graphics" may have either influenced or detered the judges from scoring the car appropriately, Marks paint is awsome perhaps a better paint job. This is where I get prickly if I was awarded the trophy but majority of opinion would say otherwise that is awkard and uncomfortable for me.

Baz please accept my appology, Tenrocca you can go Jump

Phil
Old 11-04-2007, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think this is the car you guys are talking about.

From memory it is a Homebush body with a custom chassis. Very wide tyres.

Ben
Old 11-04-2007, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay
I think this is the car you guys are talking about.

From memory it is a Homebush body with a custom chassis. Very wide tyres.

Ben
That's the one Ben. Thanks for your help. I have a couple of photo's of it too, but unfortunately, they are in film and not suitable to download here.

Baz.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm
I better explain my statement, as my feathers are not ruffled.

People who know me a little better would understand that I can get prickley about a few things but that is usually because you hit righ on an insecurity I have.

I was very concerned that the "graphics" may have either influenced or detered the judges from scoring the car appropriately, Marks paint is awsome perhaps a better paint job. This is where I get prickly if I was awarded the trophy but majority of opinion would say otherwise that is awkard and uncomfortable for me.

Baz please accept my appology, Tenrocca you can go Jump

Phil
Phil,

No offence meant and none taken. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Baz
Old 11-04-2007, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Back to my idea of creating a level playing field based upon value..............

One fair way would be to take the Market Insurance Value of a car.

Show us your Insurance Policy and categorise your car to the pre-determined market range i.e under 50k etc etc

1st, 2nd, 3rd for each class and then an overall winner based upon People's choice.

Judging would still be based upon the existing criteria i.e. paint / engine bay etc etc.

Only a thought
Old 11-04-2007, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Pete, I thought my idea was a can of worms... Are you saying that because an insurance company insurers a car for X $'s that means its worth that much!!!!!!! :-)

I say the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) method works best. Voted by the group!!! Then again, I've never won anything so why should that mean I'm a chance... hehehehehehhe

Spooky e PT
Old 11-04-2007, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Matt,

Its up to you what you have as Market / Replacement Value on your Insurance Policy assuming its acceptable to the Insurance Company.

I doubt anyone would want to fiddle the value just so they could win a $20 trophy.

Then again, I've spent heaps of time polishing my rocket for a $15 one - I think I'm the last S on the KISS
Old 11-04-2007, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's my point though.. If I insure my car for 80k but it is only really worth 60 then shoudln't I be competing on the 60K catergory not the 80??? And vice versa!

Ahhhh.... as usual it's all too hard! Now where is my polish cloth as want me a $15.00 trophy!

That said... I could insure my car for 25K and then maybe I'd have a chance?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you want to win a S&S, you either put in time or money or both. I think most people are happy with that and realise that opinions vary (see above!). I agree with Spooky: KISS!
Richard