Absolute Pace

Welcome to Club Cobra.

You are currently viewing the world's largest resource for Shelby related information as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

  •  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
January 2021
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31            
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:05 PM
gtc gtc is offline
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, NSW
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 25
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo
No worries Graeme. I will accept a crate motor as spotter's fee!
Crate is on the way. Motor on back order.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Cameron Parsons's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia, WI
Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Posts: 768
Not Ranked     
Default

Here's another thought. Superformance. Comes as a complete roller and the guys at CTC will hook you up with a complied drive train of choice. You would have to contact Colin for details, but I am guessing with the Aussie $ on the high, prices may be in the high quality 'built for you' category.

In any case, Colin is a good bloke and will give you a straight answer.

www.cobtech.com.au

www.superformance.com

or check out my gallery for some pics.

Good Luck on the search.

Cameron
__________________
Queensland Cobra Car Club
Wisconsin USA Chapter
ex: Beijing Chapter Member
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007, 08:00 PM
LoBelly's Avatar
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Posts: 1,291
Not Ranked     
Default

If you are looking for a more complete set-up then I would suggest that you contact the local (to Australia) Superperformance dealer.

http://www.cobtech.com.au/
http://www.superformance.com/

They are amongst the best looking cars and have performed well at the recent ShelbyFest events I've seen.

I think these cars are likely to give you the highest base to work from.

I enjoyed the build process but if you dont have good facilities then it could be a real chore. Even with the facilities at hand I sometimes wished I just purchased one.

Also a note of caution - my first few meetings at club events I was warned several times by people who had been burned about non-delivery of cars/parts etc and unforfilled promises.

So do your research and sums properly.

Good luck

LoBelly
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Cameron Parsons's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia, WI
Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Posts: 768
Not Ranked     
Default

What do they say Lobelly

"Great Minds..... etc"

I'll leave it to the bards on this board to contribute the alternate saying

Cameron
__________________
Queensland Cobra Car Club
Wisconsin USA Chapter
ex: Beijing Chapter Member
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007, 08:32 PM
gtc gtc is offline
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, NSW
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 25
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Parsons
Here's another thought. Superformance. Comes as a complete roller and the guys at CTC will hook you up with a complied drive train of choice. You would have to contact Colin for details, but I am guessing with the Aussie $ on the high, prices may be in the high quality 'built for you' category.

In any case, Colin is a good bloke and will give you a straight answer.

www.cobtech.com.au

www.superformance.com

or check out my gallery for some pics.

Good Luck on the search.

Cameron
Thanks Cameron, very interesting especially, as you say, with the favouable exchange rate at the moment. I'll definitely add this option to my list.

Reading CTC's site, do I take it that you have a 351 Ford with Tremec 5 speed?

Cheers, Graeme
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007, 08:34 PM
gtc gtc is offline
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, NSW
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 25
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly
If you are looking for a more complete set-up then I would suggest that you contact the local (to Australia) Superperformance dealer.

http://www.cobtech.com.au/
http://www.superformance.com/

They are amongst the best looking cars and have performed well at the recent ShelbyFest events I've seen.

I think these cars are likely to give you the highest base to work from.

I enjoyed the build process but if you dont have good facilities then it could be a real chore. Even with the facilities at hand I sometimes wished I just purchased one.

Also a note of caution - my first few meetings at club events I was warned several times by people who had been burned about non-delivery of cars/parts etc and unforfilled promises.

So do your research and sums properly.

Good luck

LoBelly
Thanks LoBelly. When you refer to non-delivery/unfulfilled promises, are you meaning in regard to Superperformance in particular?

Cheers, G.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Aussie Mike's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sunbury, VIC
Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Posts: 5,407
Not Ranked     
Default

I think Lobelly is refering to some other people in the industry. CTC have a very high degree of integrity and are keen supporters of Aussie Cobra enthusiasts. They have sponsored several of our events in the past and really love their Cobras.

I've done a bit of work on one of the Superformance Cobras they built for a Melbourne customer and the quality of fit and finish on these cars is second to none. Track manners and performance potential is also excellent and reflected in their results at the Nationals and Shelbyfest over the last few years.

Cheers
__________________
Mike Murphy
Melbourne Australia

Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007, 08:45 PM
LoBelly's Avatar
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Posts: 1,291
Not Ranked     
Default

No - not referring to Superformance

I have not heard any non-delivery stories or rumors or anything of that nature.

I have however been the 'beneficiary' of several tales of woe regarding actual vs. promised times for components/kits and a couple of stories concerning non-delivery.

If you hop on here and say 'I have cash and want a cobra built for me' you're likely to get several private messages helping you with your decision. This is why I'm telling you to do your research.

I have not met an unhappy Superformance owner - to be fair CR owners and those of other known brands seem to be drinking the coolaide too, so maybe the Cobra business is more stable than in the (not too distant) past.

LoBelly
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Cameron Parsons's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia, WI
Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Posts: 768
Not Ranked     
Default

Graeme,

I have a Ford 347 (Stroked 302) with an 8TB injection setup, and Tremec 5 Speed. To be honest given another go, I would have chosen the 6 speed. Not for the gearing, but for the gear change. I have driven a few and they seem far smoother to me.

For me the 347 has plenty of PEP, It allows me to drive hard without having to be 'too' careful of giving it a bootful out of the corners.

It's all personal preference though. FYI I get mid 300's RWHP. I also run all the 'girly' stuff like Air Conditioning, Hardtop etc... etc...

Cameron
__________________
Queensland Cobra Car Club
Wisconsin USA Chapter
ex: Beijing Chapter Member
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Aussie Mike's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sunbury, VIC
Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Posts: 5,407
Not Ranked     
Default

And with all that he still gets fastest lap at Shelbyfest this year

Cameron knows which way to turn a steering wheel.

Cheers
__________________
Mike Murphy
Melbourne Australia

Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2007, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Perth, WA
Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Posts: 218
Not Ranked     
Default

Hi Graeme,

I can also vouch for the crew at CTC and the Superformance product.

I was in the space you're currently in for about 5-6 months researching and deciding on what was the right option for me. I found the contributors to this forum an invaluable source of knowledge & experience and to be frank, a terrific bunch of guys willing to help a fellow enthusiast!

I'm now a confirmed addict of the forum and read every post...

If your experience is anything like mine, you'll find the whole process an incredibly personal and satisfying experience because you'll be essentially realising a life long dream!

I've ordered and am patiently waiting the arrival of my Superformance roller and I have found Colin, Shelly and Keith at CTC incredibly helpful, straight and willing to accommodate a few of my personal tastes/desires and objectives!

I'd definitiely consider them in your deliberations.

Regards......Paul
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 AM
gtc gtc is offline
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, NSW
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 25
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly
No - not referring to Superformance

I have not heard any non-delivery stories or rumors or anything of that nature.

I have however been the 'beneficiary' of several tales of woe regarding actual vs. promised times for components/kits and a couple of stories concerning non-delivery.

If you hop on here and say 'I have cash and want a cobra built for me' you're likely to get several private messages helping you with your decision. This is why I'm telling you to do your research.
Thanks, mate. The thought had crossed my mind as a build-myself option to perhaps canvass a private assembler with facilities but, if I went that route, I'd be interviewing them like they were a potential employee, and I'd be doing reference checks myself on work completed, etc, the same way I'd be checking on any of the manufacturer/assemblers before signing a contract.

Quote:
I have not met an unhappy Superformance owner - to be fair CR owners and those of other known brands seem to be drinking the coolaide too, so maybe the Cobra business is more stable than in the (not too distant) past.

LoBelly
Yes, I note that people are speaking highly here of the CTC/SPR operation.

Cheers, G.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2007, 02:35 AM
gtc gtc is offline
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, NSW
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 25
Not Ranked     
Default

[quote=LoBelly]If you are looking for a more complete set-up then I would suggest that you contact the local (to Australia) Superperformance dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidelberg
Hi Graeme,

I can also vouch for the crew at CTC and the Superformance product.

I was in the space you're currently in for about 5-6 months researching and deciding on what was the right option for me. I found the contributors to this forum an invaluable source of knowledge & experience and to be frank, a terrific bunch of guys willing to help a fellow enthusiast!

I'm now a confirmed addict of the forum and read every post...
I agree that this is a great forum, and I have been already impressed at the enthusiasm and of the membership to give considered feedback and suggestions.

Because I'm free to spend the time I'm hoping to complete my research in less than 5 to 6 months, although I acknowledge that there are lots of variables to consider and balance. I'm already starting a big spreadsheet of the combinations, issues, etc, which I hope will assist me to create a shortlist to zero in on.

Quote:
If your experience is anything like mine, you'll find the whole process an incredibly personal and satisfying experience because you'll be essentially realising a life long dream!

I've ordered and am patiently waiting the arrival of my Superformance roller and I have found Colin, Shelly and Keith at CTC incredibly helpful, straight and willing to accommodate a few of my personal tastes/desires and objectives!

I'd definitively consider them in your deliberations.

Regards......Paul
Yes, I definitely want this to be an enjoyable research and select process.

A couple of questions, if I may:

What was the lead time quoted to you by Superperformance between placement of order and delivery of the roller?

What was the lead time quoted to you by CTC between placement of order and delivery of the compliant Cobra?

Cheers, Graeme
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 AM
Cameron Parsons's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia, WI
Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Posts: 768
Not Ranked     
Default

Heidelberg,

welcome to the club!!

I look forward to seeing the finished product. I will be at CTC in mid Feb, will I catch a glimpse there??

Cameron
__________________
Queensland Cobra Car Club
Wisconsin USA Chapter
ex: Beijing Chapter Member
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2007, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Perth, WA
Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Posts: 218
Not Ranked     
Default

Graeme,

I'd call CTC to get accurate delivery times as I was able to pick up one of a few Cobras that CTC had already ordered from the factory in South Africa and therefore did not get to discuss "normal delivery times".

I had been liaising with CTC for about 6 weeks including a visit to their showroom not too far outside of Melbourne before I confirmed my order by specifying colours, sidepipes, bumper bars, wheel size, dash layout, roll bars, and paying my deposit about 4 weeks ago and I'm expecting delivery end Jan/early Feb.

Regards......Paul
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2007, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Perth, WA
Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Posts: 218
Not Ranked     
Default

Hi & thanks Cameron,

I'm hoping I'll have delivery of my roller in Perth by mid Feb!

When I was with Colin and Shelly at their new showroom about 5-6 weeks ago, they had a beautiful car in the showroom that looks a lot like your car from the photo's in your gallery....Is that your car?? If it is, it's a lovely car Cameron!

I know it's a bloody long way to come, but I'd really like to come East for one of the main Cobra events next year once my cobra's on the road...I've seen a few of the Perth guys express similar aspirations, so who knows, maybe we could russle up a few interested guys from the West to make the trek East next year!

Regards......Paul
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2007, 02:01 PM
boxhead's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Alice Springs, central Australia, NT
Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Posts: 5,699
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default

Hi there Paul, If the expected completion date is Feb why not leave it in Melbourne, fly over for the Shelby fest then have it trucked home to you in Perth?

Just a thought.
__________________

Cruising in 5th


---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Cameron Parsons's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia, WI
Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Posts: 768
Not Ranked     
Default

Thanks Paul,

yes that's my car. Colin keeps it for me while I am away. The showroom floor is the safest place for it to be, and they give it a run from time to time to keep it all going.

It's also a good jumping off point for ShelbyFest

Cameron
__________________
Queensland Cobra Car Club
Wisconsin USA Chapter
ex: Beijing Chapter Member
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2007, 05:41 PM
gtc gtc is offline
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, NSW
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 25
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidelberg
Graeme,

I'd call CTC to get accurate delivery times as I was able to pick up one of a few Cobras that CTC had already ordered from the factory in South Africa and therefore did not get to discuss "normal delivery times".

I had been liaising with CTC for about 6 weeks including a visit to their showroom not too far outside of Melbourne before I confirmed my order by specifying colours, sidepipes, bumper bars, wheel size, dash layout, roll bars, and paying my deposit about 4 weeks ago and I'm expecting delivery end Jan/early Feb.

Regards......Paul
Okay, thanks Paul!
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2007, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Perth, WA
Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Posts: 218
Not Ranked     
Default

Hmmm....When and where is the Shelby Fest held?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: CC Policy