Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Which Oz kit/assembler?

Hi folks,

After a few years of procrastination I'm finally actively thinking of taking the plunge and either buying or building a Cobra replica, or maybe buying a well made and looked after second hand replica. Although building a kit car appeals to me, I don't currently have access to suitable premises to store and build one in, so I'll likely pay to have it built.

Forgive me if this question has been done to death, but I really need the sage advice of Cobra owner-builders.

I have seen the supplier list on the Australian Cobra Car Club's site, and it seems from the NSW Cobra Club's pages that their members own quite a variety of Cobra "makes".

What would be useful to me, are pointers to any articles that discuss/compare the pros and cons of those various manufacturers' products, if available.

Cheers, Graeme
Old 11-18-2007, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Graeme,

My advice would be to buy a rolling chassis that is started maybe, but most of all you 'buy' the person who supplies the kit/components. Their support, advice and honesty are critical dimensions. The building process is also well supported by the members of this forum. Their assistance is really invaluable. Cobra 'replicas' or recreations are fun to build as the possibilities for customising to your suitability are endless. The kit field is changing rapidly in Australia and overseas and the big changes are in use of modern suspension systems, brakes and power units. No longer is it necessary to use a significant volume of donor parts as many parts are new or made for purpose. I believe that there was a recent forum discussion about a question similar to yours and that may be worth reading through.

Best wishes,

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Graeme, we keep an up-to-date list of Cobra manufacturers on our site.
http://www.snakebite.com.au/kit_man.html

I would have a good look at this forum as there has been a lot of discussion about the different kit types. Try using the search function.

A good starting point would be to roll up the a NSW club meeting and see the different kit types in person and talk to their owners.

To determine whether you should go new or 2nd hand and also which kit type would suit you best, you should think about what you specifically want out of a Cobra...The following questions should help guide you.

1. Do you have specific requirements for your Cobra(look, design, space, performance etc)? If so, new might be the best option. If you are willing to compromise(a lot) then 2nd hand could satisfy.

2. Do you want an original style drivetrain? e.g. Ford 302w, Ford 351w, Ford 429/460 etc. If so, then 2nd hand is your only option and these engines can no longer be complied.

3. Do you have specific requirements on what suspension setup your Cobra should have? e.g. Jag, modern independent, fabricated or combination of.

4. Are you concerned with how original the body shape is?

5. Do you want(or care) if your Cobra has a separate body/chassis unit or monocoque body/chassis unit?

6. Do you want to deal with a local manufacuter or are you happy to deal with someone interstate?

7. What sort of timeframe are looking at? To get a professional to build a Cobra & get it complied will take around 12 months. To build one yourself ranges on average from 12 months - 5 years.

8. Do you have enough funds to purchase a Cobra upfront or would you prefer to pay for it over time?

9. What do you want out of your Cobra, what do you want to do with it? Weekend cruiser, daily driver, show car or motorsport.

10. Do you want an original looking car or as close to original as can be made? Then 2nd hand is the best option, especially buying a Cobra that is already registered and can be rebuilt close to original specs.

11. Do you want a carby engine? If so, then 2nd hand is the best option.

12. What is your budget? 2nd hands cars of any substance start close to $20k these days. $50+ starts getting you into the better 2nd hand cars. You would be looking at around $60k+ to build your own car. Professionally built Cobras would start at around $70K - $80K.

Hope this helps. Owning a Cobra is definitely one of the best lifestyle choices I have made. Good luck with your search.

(I'll write this up better and put it up online, let me know if there is anything I have missed)

Last edited by 400TT; 11-18-2007 at 04:31 AM..
Old 11-18-2007, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon
Graeme,

My advice would be to buy a rolling chassis that is started maybe, but most of all you 'buy' the person who supplies the kit/components. Their support, advice and honesty are critical dimensions. The building process is also well supported by the members of this forum. Their assistance is really invaluable. Cobra 'replicas' or recreations are fun to build as the possibilities for customising to your suitability are endless. The kit field is changing rapidly in Australia and overseas and the big changes are in use of modern suspension systems, brakes and power units. No longer is it necessary to use a significant volume of donor parts as many parts are new or made for purpose. I believe that there was a recent forum discussion about a question similar to yours and that may be worth reading through.

Best wishes,

Merv
Merv, many thanks. I actually had done a keyword search on 'kits' within the Oz forum and it returned a gazillion posts, so I was hoping (against hope) that there might be a neat summary. Nonetheless, I have ploughed my way through a lot of those hits and picked up a tremendous amount of info. The comparison photos among the makes was very interesting, and has helped me come to a decision, which I'll discuss below in my second response. Thanks again!!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT
To determine whether you should go new or 2nd hand and also which kit type would suit you best, you should think about what you specifically want out of a Cobra...The following questions should help guide you.

Chris, that list of questions and facts was extremely helpful to me.

Here's a bit of background on how I got to this cross roads. (Sorry folks, it's a long post, but I can't sleep tonight with all of this on my mind, so I might as well be tapping away on the keyboard.)

I took early retirement almost a year ago and, with money in the bank, and practically no commitments now, I have started to wonder why I'm not spending it. On top of that every Wednesday night there's the "Cruizin" hot rod show on TVS followed by Classic Restos where I see guys with their dream machines having the fun of their life. Why am I not doing that?

There are really only a handful of sports cars (apart from the Ferraris and Lambos, etc) that make me take notice every time I see one on the road, and they all have some emotional tie somewhere -- and you'll see that I tend towards the General rather than Henry.

a. Lotus Elise - because they are simply beautiful.

b. Corvette Stingray C3 series - because when I was 17 waiting for the school bus every arvo one would roar past the bus stop and I fell in love with that car.

c. GTR XU1 - because when I left school and was zooming about in my Mazda 1200 Coupe, the XU1 was released and I wanted one so bad it hurt. I could not raise the funds. When it went on to win Bathurst I was even more crazy to get one.

d. Cobra - simply because it is such a great looking car.

Okay, so in order:

a. Unfortunately too expensive for me.

b. I have been looking for a schmick properly-converted RHD Stingray for a while with no luck. Lots of rubbish out there and the really schmick ones are $70k and above, which is too much for that technology.

c. Price has gone feral, and there aren't any resto opportunities left either.

d. This is where I'm at.

To address your very useful list as to the sort of Cobra I will go for:

I want a muscle car in a sports car format. Like somebody else said in another post, I already have a 4 door commuter vehicle, so my sports car will be fast and loud, and I want the biggest badest engine I can legally get. I don’t care a whit about faithfulness to the original Shelby, I like what I see today.

It won’t be a daily -- more weekend cruiser, show, and social trips machine.

(I should mention that I ride a Yamaha XJR 1300 motorcycle so my sports car had better have something to challenge the grunt of the bike!)

I don’t really have an opinion on separate vs monocoque body/chassis. I suppose I don’t care about that either.

After a lot of thought during the past 10 or so hours, I’m inclined to a brand new car because if I’m going to outlay some serious money, I might as well get the latest technology and new bits wherever applicable. I figure I’ll be keeping the Cobra for many years so I might as well start with a fresh one.

As regards carby or EFI, I expect EFI. I’ve had 2 EFI Mazda 626s and I’ve never had a problem and they stay in tune magnificently. I would also very seriously consider LPG with the price of petrol already a bad joke.

As for drivetrain, I would like a 5 speed box with 5th being overdrive. I have no preference for suspension, other than it is compatible with the weight and power of the engine, and can support big enough brakes and wheels.

Given that I will be paying for the build, locality is very important to me so that I can readily view progress, etc.

Cost is the last consideration for me. If I get what I want from a reputable builder, with a solid contract, then I will gladly pay what I feel is a fair price.

Now, taking all the above into consideration, I’m thinking that either Classic Revival or Homebush would be the likely contenders, but I think only CR does GM engines (is that correct?)

Cheers, Graeme

PS: Thanks again guys. I really appreciate your help, and discussion. Feedback on the above is welcome.

Last edited by gtc; 11-18-2007 at 09:43 AM..
Old 11-18-2007, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc
but I think only CR does GM engines (is that correct?)
Gday Graham - im pretty sure Brian at Homebush can and will adapt his chassis to any engine you like. If he can fit one of the modern ford boss motors in, a smaller lightweight LS series engine will be no probolem.

Best suggestion I can offer is get out to one of the NSW meeting monthly and check out as many as you can. Thats the only way you can get an appreciation of the differences between the kits. And go with a list of the specific things you want to check out, otherwise youll be heading home with stars in your eyes not knowing any more then before you got there!

Cheers.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca
Gday Graham - im pretty sure Brian at Homebush can and will adapt his chassis to any engine you like. If he can fit one of the modern ford boss motors in, a smaller lightweight LS series engine will be no probolem.

Best suggestion I can offer is get out to one of the NSW meeting monthly and check out as many as you can. Thats the only way you can get an appreciation of the differences between the kits. And go with a list of the specific things you want to check out, otherwise youll be heading home with stars in your eyes not knowing any more then before you got there!

Cheers.
Thanks, I must do that. Does Brian have a webpage? I haven't been able to find much data on the Homebush company.

And I know what you mean about information overload. I like to use my video camera with sound for info gathering days.

Cheers, Graeme (that's the kosher version ==> no ham)

PS: Why are you telling me about Ford donks, I see you have a Chev!!! I'm a Chev/GM man at heart.

Last edited by gtc; 11-18-2007 at 01:04 PM..
Old 11-18-2007, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Graeme,

Hi mate.

Welcome to the forum and the first of your big decisions.

Mmm wait until you start thinking about colors...

I think the advice of attending meetings and looking at cars under construction is good.

400TT - Craigs advice is right in that you don't want to get caught with an engine that is not 2008 ADR emission compliant.

The NSW gang will give you accurate advice in this area. It is timely that you ask these questions and I don't think any of us would be at all concerned with your list of questions - just keep asking.

I don't stay up worrying about cars, I sleep like a baby - sleep for an hour and cry for an hour.

Good luck with your choice.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 11-18-2007, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

Graeme,

Where abouts in Sydney are you located?

Brett

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter
Old 11-18-2007, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby400
Graeme,

Where abouts in Sydney are you located?

Brett
G'day Brett. Ryde district (so CR is just up the road).

Cheers, G.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

And Homebush is just down the road.

I am in Hornsby. You are quite welcome to come and have a look at my nearly finished Homebush.
CR is also located in Hornsby so maybe you could have a look there as well.

Brett

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter
Old 11-18-2007, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby400
And Homebush is just down the road.

I am in Hornsby. You are quite welcome to come and have a look at my nearly finished Homebush.
CR is also located in Hornsby so maybe you could have a look there as well.

Brett
Hey Brett, thanks for the offer of a look-see. I will take you up on that, gladly. I'll be in touch in a few days to arrange a good time.

I understand that CR are not too fond of the "drop in", and require appointments. I can understand and respect that. I intend to book an appointment with CR after I receive their latest brochure and price list.

This morning I'm off to take a final look at a 1970 Corvette Stingray 454 big block that I had a quick look at on Saturday. It's a brute that's essentially tuned for drag racing and I'm going to have to say 'no' unless they give it to me for a song. It would be nice to own one at least once in my life and have a muscle car while I'm waiting for the Cobra to be built. But it needs a lot of work to get it up to my standard.

Cheers, G.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Graeme, sounds like you are well on the way.

I would also contact the large interstate Cobra assemblers just to get a comparison. Air fares are cheap these days to pop in and see the progress. I expect most will email you photos of the progress as well.

Doug Pearce Engineering(VIC) is someone I would definitely speak to. Independent of a manufacturer and his built many, many Cobras.

In QLD, we only have the manufacturers themselves that I can recommend to build your Cobra - Harrison & DRB.

For the sort of money you will be spending I would be shopping around as I think you will be surprised how good the options get if you look further afield.

Hmm, Corvette, very nice. We've had guys up here buy something like that to enjoy while their Cobra is being built. We've also had guys buy 2nd hand Cobras to drive around in while waiting for their own car to be built.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Doug Pearce Engineering(VIC) is someone I would definitely speak to. Independent of a manufacturer and his built many, many Cobras.
Doug’s completed dozens of cobras from many different Manufacturers.

I'm sure he would be happy to pass on his recommendations on price and ease of build.

My little bit of advice. Don't go too cheap. It may cost you in the end.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPTYL
Doug’s completed dozens of cobras from many different Manufacturers.

I'm sure he would be happy to pass on his recommendations on price and ease of build.

My little bit of advice. Don't go too cheap. It may cost you in the end.
Thanks, mate, will consult Doug, and I heed your advice on going too cheap.

BTW: Your car looks superb. Love that paint job!
Old 11-18-2007, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Classic Revival will charge around 97k for a complete registed on the road Cobra with a LS2. When you go through the differnt kits compare prices and keep in mind not all kits come with brand new parts.
Talk to an engineer before buying anything. The LS7/LS2/L76 engines are about the only GM engines you can use. The t56 would be the best option
Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT
Graeme, sounds like you are well on the way.

I would also contact the large interstate Cobra assemblers just to get a comparison. Air fares are cheap these days to pop in and see the progress. I expect most will email you photos of the progress as well.

In QLD, we only have the manufacturers themselves that I can recommend to build your Cobra - Harrison & DRB.

For the sort of money you will be spending I would be shopping around as I think you will be surprised how good the options get if you look further afield.
That's definitely an option I should consider. While I will pay what I think is a fair price for what's to be delivered, I'm not a fan of sqaundering $k's either.

Quote:
Hmm, Corvette, very nice. We've had guys up here buy something like that to enjoy while their Cobra is being built. We've also had guys buy 2nd hand Cobras to drive around in while waiting for their own car to be built.
The 'vette is still on hold. I was to meet a C3 series owner and expert from the Corvette Club on site this morning so he could give it a look over and comment, but something came up at last minute and he couldn't attend. Hopefully he will be free tomorrow.

A second hand Cobra is definitely not out of the question for me, I suppose like always it depends on price and condition. The main reason I started to get serious about a build from new is the scarcity of Cobras on the market in NSW. I don't really want to travel interstate to look at cars for sale.

If somebody in Sydney is thinking of selling, then I'm a genuine and cashed-up buyer.

Cheers, Graeme
Old 11-18-2007, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Graeme, I don't want to talk you out of the Cobra, but how hard have you looked for a Lotus Elise? Here's one for 30k on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/lotus-elise-m...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-18-2007, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

^^ OMG and it's yellow, too, which seems hard to get in Oz. Ain't it the spunkiest lil thing on 4 wheels!

Now, "Must sell am going overseas" would normally mean DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER to me. Also a bit suss about the "most" titles available statement.

Let's see, circa $75k on road to buy brand new. This one is a Brit import, has done allegedly only 79,000 klicks in 7 or 8 years and has probably been raced. I must try to find what Glass would price that at, but I'm thinking probably $35k tops for schmick with log books, etc.

Thanks for the tip, this could be an intermediate sporty for me pending build/buy of thumping big Cobra. I shall ask the seller a few pertinient questions. Pity he isn't displaying a visit counter.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

No worries Graeme. I will accept a crate motor as spotter's fee!