Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     
Default ICV Regulations Meeting (QLD)

Don Pilling has organised a meeting to discuss the current ICV Regulations on Wed 21st Nov at 7:30pm @ unit 12/33-43 Meakin Rd, Medowbrook.

For anyone interested in discussing future changes to our current regulations e.g.

1. Forming an organisation(name to be decided) in QLD and then other states to follow.

2. Loby government for concessions to the current regulations.

3. Drafting our own Regs(can be based off Street Rod regs) and becoming self regulated as Street Rod Federation has done.

http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safet...treet_rod.aspx

http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safet.../vsb_ncop.aspx

Bring your own chair.

Hope to see you there.

Last edited by 400TT; 11-14-2007 at 09:58 PM..
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Personally I think option 3 is the go.

1. We just form an organisation like the Street Rod Federation.
2. We define what our vehicles are called e.g. Shelby Classics and include in that definition Cobras, Daytonas & GT40s.
3. We just copy and paste the Street Rod regulations and change what is different for us. Street Rod regulations already include nearly everything we want. We should make them as tight and safe as possible without compromising what people want out of a Cobra/Daytona/GT40. e.g. specify chassis torsional test requirements, side anti-intrusion bars etc.

I think our best chance is arguing that if the Street Rod regulations are allowed, then we should be able to do the same thing.

We may not get anywhere, but it's certainly worth a try.

Well that's my opinion anyway...
Old 11-19-2007, 01:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

Quite a few views of this thread but no responses.
I hope those that are closer than myself to the venue can attend and speak up for us bushies that cant be there.
I'd suggest that those planning to build, those building and the ones that have a finished unit could provide a good cross section of opinions and recommendations.
Even if you have a registered car now, bear in mind you may one day choose to do it all again to have a better Cobra or step into a GT40 or Daytona.
I'll be there in spirit and applaud those in advance that will attend and add thier 2 bobs worth.
Have a great night.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks mate, I hope we get a good turn up.

Just as an importantly, I hope it's a productive meeting.

I'll post the results of the meeting here so that everyone is informed.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Meadowbrook !!!, I don't go that far for holidays

Craig, I'm certainly attempting to get there tomorrow night. Just hope I don't get called out on a Job.

I also prefer option 3.

Do you know if Don has invited anyone from the Street Rod Federation?. A few weeks back I gave Don the name of an approved engineer who had considerable input into the drafting of the street Rod regulations.

I know we don't wish to be allied with them but having some-one with intimate knowledge of how those regs work and the problems involved would be beneficial.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure Les, I expect he has looked into it.

He has also been speaking to this group. (A lobby group for aftermarket auto parts): http://www.prtc.com.au

Hope to see you there.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I would have expressed my support on option 3 sooner but dial-up and optus has again left me in the past.
I went through horrendous rego trials in NSW and another fellow cobra owner faired worse. we both succeded in the long run but the rules were ridiculous.

I remember writing to the hot rod mob asking about jag suspension and have never received a reply...one week after I sent the letter. I sent another letter in another name and different address saying that I was building a 32 roadster and I got a reply with losts of information. hmmmm ?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Adding To the subject, my engineer told me to persue the issue of individually constructed vehicles and the issue of hotrod compliance rules. I regret that I am too busy to persue this issue although I am really cranky about it.
More than six years building my Cobra because of work and lifestyle interruptions; I am generally " pissed off " with the whole RTA crap regarding these vehicles. It boils down to liability,the fear of it and the incompetance and ignorance of those that run the place.
Basically....nobody has the morals to make a commonsense decision.
My rego compliance approval travelled from one outbox to another inbox and back everyweek for ten weeks before my engineer intervened. ( if not for him my car would not be registered 5 years later ) I truly feel we must create a proposition {regardless of state} to recognise these vehicles (ICVs) as an equal or better than hotrods and should have the same dispensation as hotrods enjoy.
I'm in a bad situation right now to persue this issue at this time (I've got the s***s again) but I think we,the club, should seek some sort of argument to put forward to the government and the RTA to get a standard compliant result. maybe a lot of wind but maybe not

Last edited by Rob. Smith; 11-23-2007 at 06:01 AM..
Old 11-23-2007, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We had the meeting and a plan to progress on a National basis. We will find what others have been up to and come up with an agreed position and plan.

Details will be available soon. We are looking at something like a private Yahoo group for communication and information sharing. All club members and manufacturers would have access.

In my opinion, we will need strong manufacturer support and club support, both in spirit and financial terms. This may cost serious dollars. If new rules are rolled out Nationally, I imagine you would have to be a member of a club that pays a levy to the organisation that manages the compliance...just as the hot rodders do.

You will always be able to build Cobra's etc under the ICV rules. The ICV rules will always be there.

But Cobras do not fall nicely under the ICV rules, so we need new separate rules to accomodate them.

I know exactly how you feel Rob, my brother & I felt the exact the same way after the registration of our last Cobra. Due to timing etc, our last Cobra was caught in a period of QT transistion and it cost us a lot of time, frustration and extra money.