Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sambo

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     
Question A call to all backyard engineers (steering woes)

I've fitted a 90s model Ford Laser column to the cobra as per the Harrison specs. This will be mated to the VK Commodore power rack that is also now in the car. All the mounting brackets and pre-cut holes in the firewall look spot on... so far so good.

Here's a photo of the end of the steering column. It's a 36 spline shaft with a very odd diameter of 15.75mm as measured with digital vernier calipers.

I have both 9/16" and 3/4" 36 spline universals and they are too small or too big respectively. Doing the maths using 1" = 25.4mm, they equate to diameters of 14.285mm and 19.05mm.

Next is the line-up of potential suspects that I am trying to pin this engineering crime upon! Left to right we have the steering column, the factory Laser universal, the 9/16" uni and the 3/4" uni.

Before I go any further, this is nobody's fault but mine. Ordered the shiny bits without measuring twice - lesson learnt.

The rack has a 3/4" 36 spline shaft, and I have a length of 3/4" stainless to run up to the column shaft with uni-joints in between.

Is it be possible to safely mill the steering shaft down to 9/16" diameter and use the 9/16" uni? (which is 3/4" on the other side in keeping with the connecting shaft and rack).

Or would it be better to use the factory uni and mill the 3/4" connecting shaft down to that diameter at one end? Personally I prefer the idea of new parts over old, but I know they're not a high wear component.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Jokes and ridicule a close second.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: drb,5.4 ltr,jag f/r
Not Ranked     

paul as i remember when doing my laser column the uni's were very very tight i thought that it was the wrong size fittings also cant remember what size exactly they were but with the use of a large flat blade screwdriver to slightly pry open the uni enuf to insert spline then a few gentle taps with a large(small )hammer all prevailed,

darrell
Old 02-07-2008, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Darrell. However, the 9/16" uni which is the closest fit (second from the right) cannot be pried apart.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: drb,5.4 ltr,jag f/r
Not Ranked     

back to the parts supplier withspline in hand to get a match soorry i couldnt help mine were the ones on the left good luck
darrell

where did you get your fuel tank from and how $$$$
Old 02-07-2008, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Sambo
Warrick sells the splined connecting shaft and appropriate bottom uni the top one I used is the laser. As Darrell said use a flat blade driver to open the uni up to fit the shaft. I only have two unis one on the end of the laser column and one connecting to the steering rack. Will you have a uni in the middle to? My shaft hit the exhaust manifold.
My connecting shaft is 16mm dia.
I would lathe down your 3/4 stainless rod at the steering column end and spline it to fit the laser uni.
Bruce
Old 02-07-2008, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Darrell - it's by Sean Mullins down here in Melbourne. He's made a few for the Harrison. $550 with baffles and built around the VZ fuel pump.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by macloft View Post
Hi Sambo
Warrick sells the splined connecting shaft and appropriate bottom uni the top one I used is the laser. As Darrell said use a flat blade driver to open the uni up to fit the shaft. I only have two unis one on the end of the laser column and one connecting to the steering rack. Will you have a uni in the middle to?
My connecting shaft is 16mm dia. I would lathe down your 3/4 stainless rod at the steering column end and spline it to fit the laser uni.
G'day Bruce. I think because I went with the VK power rack Warwick wasn't able to supply the lower uni. The Laser uni fits fine, no screw driver needed. Ideally I would like to machine the end of the column if it's physically possible and so long as it doesn't overheat the bearings. Then I've got new, serviceable u-joints and 3/4" all the way from the top uni to the rack.

And yes I have the same setup as you: steering column, uni, connecting shaft, uni, rack.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

Paul,
Wouldn't it be easier to phone Warwick and ask him what he uses for the steering intermediate shaft.

As he still uses the commodore steering rack dosn't he use the commodore intermediate shaft with the splined part of the commodore steering shaft welded to the laser steering. My car uses a sigma steering column attached like I described above, I would have thought Warwick would be using the same system for the newer steering columns.

When I bought my kit he supplied me with a modified shaft for the sigma steering column on an exchange basis.

Warren
Old 02-07-2008, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Sambo
I would then machine down the 3/4 shaft to fit the laser uni. So long as the laser uni of course is not stuffed. It shouldnt be it doesnt do much work.
I had a look at my spare column and I would not attempt to machine it, but I am not Aussie Mike.
Bruce
Old 02-07-2008, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Warren, when I spoke to Warwick about it he was uncertain about the VK power rack, saying that Doug Pearce did the last one and to ask him. I know it's easier to get an intermediate shaft to suit the Laser uni but that leaves me with $400 worth of unusable u-joints and I'd still need to source the lower one. So I'm just trying to see what I can do with the parts I have - at least for now.

Bruce, I've also got a spare (that's the one in the pictures) so I might get someone to attempt an "Aussie Mike", and if they stuff it up I'll, I can always get the intermediate shaft machined down as you've suggested.

Can anyone recommend a good "machinist" in Melbourne? I've no idea what they're even listed under in the yellow pages. SE suburbs if possible.
leroy17 likes this.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Heat your column end and put the uni in your freezer for a few hours and then mate them together. The contraction and expansion should allow you to get the two parts fitted together if they are just mm off.

Just a thought!

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1991 RMC 1966 427SC replica, 302 Cleveland, Edelbrock manifold with 600 Holley double pumper.
Not Ranked     
Default Machining

Sambo,

Give Marty Govett (Kenmer Engineering 0418 538 329) a call I am sure he can make the modifications you need to make things fit and use the parts you have bought.

Cheers

TC
Old 02-07-2008, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, thanks for that. As it turns out I've just phoned him - knowing the work he has done for Slowy. Cheers mate
Old 02-13-2008, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, a happy ending. Marty Govert machined up an intermediate shaft from 3/4" axle material and also managed to fit the 9/16-to-3/4 u-joint to the column using a bit of force.

Now being able to roll the car backwards into the narrow shed using the steering wheel - luxury!

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Paul

Last edited by sambo; 02-13-2008 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: added picture