Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, 5.0L Tickford LPG
Not Ranked     
Default Lucas indicator lights

Anyone know the difference between the L-691's and L-692's. Are these ADR approved?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I believe the 692 is just the red tail light version of the 691, which can come in orange and clear. The 692 has wiring for a dual filament bulb. If you buy them new these will have an E-Mark, so are ADR aproved. The L-539 (sometimes used on the front) is not available with an E mark.

Cheers

Last edited by Tenrocca; 02-28-2008 at 07:52 PM..
Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Tenrocca's correct between colours though can't recall if he's also on the money with the 692 being red but he probably is.

Also right that the 692 body has the globe holder that is dual filament where as 691 is single filament. And if you know your globes the dual filament has offset bayonet pins so it will only fit that connector.

The older Minx, Healey etc sourced lights ie true Lucas versions have non stamped and stamped versions dependant on their age. If you have time and want originals, EBay or similar throw them up with some regularity, but do check on the E stamp status particularly. Also use US EBay they regularly appear there.

Also check what the attachment studs are like, they can be rusted out but again Bill Thompson rubbers carry square shanked studs that will do as a replacement very nicely.

If you luck on well priced originals that aren't E stamped, you might be able to get E stamped lenses off Jim Withers at JW classic car parts for about $20 each.

Watch the repro sets., some are good copies some are crap.

I'd been caught but was lucky because of very poor descriptions so my main set cost me nothing in the end but I had to do a fair bit of chasing around to cover all the bits. And I still have double filament bodies in my front indicators but the sparky wired these up to just both flash together to overcome any issues.

The hardest bits to find are the lens studs though I have seen packets of these advertised and particularly that funny shaped brass nut that is held captive by the fitted lens body that the lens studs screw into. I have not yet seen these sold separate, they are usually provided with the lense body, another trap for the unwary.

Too much information? - happy hunting.

Cheers
Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Ring Anthony at Classic and Vintage Bulbs. He has new L691 and L692 with E marked lenses. Classic and Vintage Bulbs

Cheers

Old 03-12-2008, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Angry Ouch...I think

Just took delivery of my new L691/2 indicators and brake lights from a supplier in the US. They've been mentioned in other threads here as supplying ADR compliant L691/2 lights.

I don't see any E mark on them.
They've probably changed their stock.

They only show the following
SAE SRP69
Anyone know what that means?

I assume I need to now buy some lenses with an E-mark???
Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 Mass-Flo mild race engine
Not Ranked     

Aussie Mike....A bulb store???? WOW!!...Never have seen one in the U. S. OF A ..You guys are really advanced.....Dave
Old 03-12-2008, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscobra View Post
I don't see any E mark on them.
The cheaper lights that are made in taiwan do not have E mark on them. You need to find the lights/lenses that are made in England.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Off to Jim Withers you go.

He should have the E stamped lenses and last time I enquired they were about $20 each. Just make sure you say you need the E stamped versions.

JW Classic Car parts 0411 088 342

Cheers
Old 03-12-2008, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Or find a mate who is happy to swap his emarked ones for rego, and back again after.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Under 6 quid here: L691 and L692. That should work out to under $60 plus freight.

Click for larger images, you can just make out the "E" stamp on the glass. Just be sure to check the freight before you order!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Yep, check the freight cost. Freight cost from the UK is a killer.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra International body Waltech frame
Not Ranked     

Moss has them.

http://www.mossmotors.com/
check the site.

Last edited by Venamm; 03-12-2008 at 09:12 PM..
Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Auscobra you're in Victoria aren't you? Forget OS, Jim's in Lilydale!! And you can see what you are buying.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2008, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default All sorted

Thanks Guys,
I've called JW's and ordered some "E" lenses.
Total cost all up has come in close to buying the lot locally, but fortunately is still less.

Slowy,
I'm in WA. I realised that my location was not showing in my profile. Has been amended now.

Cheers,
Auscobra
Old 03-13-2008, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

I would be surprised if anybody actually checked your lenses. Mine are lucas and are pretty old I never even knew about the E stamp.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You were lucky Cameron.

Bernie at Enkelmans was all over the lenses, rightly as the main thing the Vicroad nuff nuffs would have any sensible knowledge on and could check, if they wanted to!

Of course they weren't looked at but who knows, that one prang you dont want to have sees a smart arse insurance assessor go over the car - ah not legal lenses sir - worst case is your insurance claim is denied.

There was a similar thread once here where an ex US insurance assessor chimed in with some horrific advice. Never heard of such things locally but the insurance companies don't want to just give away their money, it stand to reason.

So I'm sure it happens in one form or another, perhaps just with the percentage liability tipped further your way, lessening the insurance company's costs to them.

Anyway back to the thread and I'm sure the WA types are way too relaxed to care for such trivialities. Perhaps the borrow off a mate isn't such a bad idea for over there!!

Cheers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: