Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default Seats trimmed. Wheels waiting for car.

I picked up my MX5 seats from the trimmers this morning. I had them done by Mark Wood at Classic Car Interiors in Caringbah and couldn't be happier. His workmanship on that Connolly leather has to be seen to be believed. Should get the dash and gear selector knob back from Mark this afternoon. Can't wait to get them into the body now. Have included a few pics, but my Gallery shows it all. I've also included some pics of my wheels.

My MX5 Seats trimmed in Connolly Leather.

Cobra seats trimmed in Connolly Leather.

My rear 315/35/17 HTRZ Sumitomos on 10 1/2" Vintage Pin Drives. Fronts are 255/45/17 HTRZ II on 9 1/2" rims.

Baz & Mark Wood setting out VDO dash instruments before cutting holes in leather.

The dash trimmed in Connolly leather waiting for instrument cut-out & glove box lid.

The steering rack mounts have been re-positioned in the chassis. Next we will be welding in the new engine and gearbox mounts, then it will be off to be zinc'ers then finally powder coated. After that, the car should really start to take shape as it's virtually only bolt ons from there.

Keep your eye out for the Custom Kitcar Magazine. My car will be featured in the second and subsequent issues.

Baz.

Last edited by Baz; 03-27-2008 at 09:44 PM..
Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Looking great Baz.

Did you have to narrow the MX5 seats?.

What did you do with the steering rack mounts?.

Cheers mate.
Les
Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Looking great Baz.

Did you have to narrow the MX5 seats?.

What did you do with the steering rack mounts?.

Cheers mate.
Les
Les,

No. I didn't have to modify the seat width at all. They fit nicely into the RMC. The only drama is that I will have to put the driver's seat into the passenger side and vice versa to obtain easier access to the swab adjusters.

I'll be posting some pics of the steering rack mounts shortly. They have been welded in at about 30 degrees, which allows the rack to function far more smoothly with no binding whatsoever.

Baz
Old 03-27-2008, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Thanks Baz, There are a number of RMC's running about which have a bush between the steering rack and the mount.

This bush purpose is to lower the steering rack and said to minimize bump steer.

I thought you may have also lowered the mount to do away with this bush. Mind you, that's with the shortened dunnydore rack and I'm told RMC is/about to use a different rack.

My steering rack mounts came from the factory at an angle. I've not measured it but I will on the weekend.

Cheers
Les

Last edited by Rebel1; 03-27-2008 at 10:18 PM..
Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Baz, they look awesome. I think that seals my decision for the seats too. Thanks for the pics!
Old 03-28-2008, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Baz you lucky pup.

There must be something about the GForce cabin that's different as I could sit my MX5 seats in there but got no adjustability.

Did your trimmer do some work on the seat and back wings (bolsters)? They look a little bulkier.

I had always planned to retrim mine, probably to black, and the cat taking to the driver's as a scratching option hasn't helped but they are a comfortable seat. What age MX5 were yours from?

I like the rims and tyres too!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Baz,

Whoaa it's all real coming together now.

Well done looking great..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 03-28-2008, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
Baz you lucky pup.

There must be something about the GForce cabin that's different as I could sit my MX5 seats in there but got no adjustability.

Did your trimmer do some work on the seat and back wings (bolsters)? They look a little bulkier.

I had always planned to retrim mine, probably to black, and the cat taking to the driver's as a scratching option hasn't helped but they are a comfortable seat. What age MX5 were yours from?

I like the rims and tyres too!

Stephen,

The trimmer did add a bit more padding to the bolsters. I don't know what year model MX5 the seats came from. I purchased them from the wreckers.

They were in pretty good original condition before being completely stripped and re-trimmed.

Regards Baz.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Baz

Pretty sure mine were off a 2002 or 2004 car so very new. Original tan leather, looking much like yours retrimmed and very comfortable to drive in. With my narrowing of the seats the standard bolsters give a bit more support. Thankfully my arse isn't too wide so I fit the seats.

I too plan on retrimming probably into black down the track and I'll have the bolsters beafed up too.

Who's rims have you bought and what sort of cost for the set and pin drive parts?
Old 03-29-2008, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
Baz

Pretty sure mine were off a 2002 or 2004 car so very new. Original tan leather, looking much like yours retrimmed and very comfortable to drive in. With my narrowing of the seats the standard bolsters give a bit more support. Thankfully my arse isn't too wide so I fit the seats.

I too plan on retrimming probably into black down the track and I'll have the bolsters beafed up too.

Who's rims have you bought and what sort of cost for the set and pin drive parts?
Stephen,

They are Vintage pin drives. I got them direct from Vintage in the States by Money Transfer. They were $AU2,697 plus $AU302.49 GST. That included the adaptors, freight and Transfer.

Baz.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Baz

I'm a little confused, as the Vintage site seems to quote $1700US all up for four rims and adaptors which is less than $1900AUD.

Is your $2700 including the tyres or had I missed something off the Vintage price list?

I've got a mate importing a car later this year, so my bits could be shoved in his boot as extras at no freight cost as a bit of a saving.

Let me know on the pricing please.

Cheers

Steve
Old 03-29-2008, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Baz, looking good. Actually looking very nice indeed.

Stephen, the rest of the money for Vintage Wheels is the cost of freight. Just watch, they tend to use BAX you can get stung with extra charges here like customs clearance, valuation, fuel surcharge etc. Then add your GST and the bank charges/spread and you get to AU$3k landed pretty easily.

Last edited by 400TT; 03-29-2008 at 08:41 PM..
Old 03-29-2008, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So Craig if these rims disappear into the boot of a car in a container, I might miss all the financial fun you are describing?

But there seems to be a huge amount of extra charges if it's all feight and freight related, another $600, is that right?

Steve
Old 03-30-2008, 01:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Yep, or you can break the shipment up and send them separately via USPS(Post), you will save on shipping and there won't be any GST.

Bax Global that vintage uses tend to be on the expensive side, the quote you get from Vintage is about half of the total cost of the freight, you get stung with the rest of the charges when the goods land here.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
Yep, or you can break the shipment up and send them separately via USPS(Post), you will save on shipping and there won't be any GST.

Bax Global that vintage uses tend to be on the expensive side, the quote you get from Vintage is about half of the total cost of the freight, you get stung with the rest of the charges when the goods land here.
Fellas,

Unfortunately, when I brought the rims. our $ was on the high end of 70 cents. No Stephen.. That price was just the rims, adaptors freight and GST. No tires, but I made up for it with a killing recently when I cashed in a stack of Aussie Dollars for 94 cents US.

What goes around, comes around.

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You don't know what you get until you open the box" or something like that.

Forrest Gump.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Even at $3K they are a good buy. I paid $2600 for my rims and another $1200 for the adaptors from local supliers.

I like the look of your seats Baz. So much so I went and bought a pair of MX5 buckets on Saturday. What did the trimmer charge to re cover them in leather?

Cheers

Old 03-30-2008, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
Even at $3K they are a good buy. I paid $2600 for my rims and another $1200 for the adaptors from local supliers.

I like the look of your seats Baz. So much so I went and bought a pair of MX5 buckets on Saturday. What did the trimmer charge to re cover them in leather?

Cheers
Mike,

I'll answer your thread before I crash. I'm just about stuffed at the moment. It's 10.30pm in Sydney and haven't been home long after taking the Grand Kids to the Royal Easter Show for their first expereince. We left at 6am this morning so it's been a huge day.

Regardless of the stress that this has placed on my ageing body, we managed to have a great day, but unfortunately, they didn't have any Cobras. Daytona's or 40's on display. What a bummer.

They only had pumpkins, apples, horses and cows with the occasional pluto pup and some stupid rides. Kids were paying $6 for a couple of minutes in these things.

What would they pay for the thrill of sitting in Cobra, then have that horsepower released as they were slammed back towards the rear bumper. The revs build and they rocket towards Worp 10 factor x 6 G Force. I'll have to stop romanticising now as I'm getting real excited and that's no good for my ageing heart valves.

Back to the subject:- Comon Baz. Snap out of it. - The trimmer charged me $AU1,300 to do the seats, dash and gear selector. He's still got the door trims / pockets, panel behind the seats and then the consul to do in leather. After that, he has to do the Wilton Carpet in the foot boxes and boot.

I'll be glad when he's finished. So will the Finance Advisor.

Tomorrow morning, which is almost here, I'm off to work on my side pipes. Wait until you see these baby's. Oh Boy. Sydney Symphony eat your heart out.

This will probably be the most expensive replica ever build. I'm up to about
65K & I'm only half way there. Someone please give me a hanky, .

Baz.

Last edited by Baz; 03-30-2008 at 04:28 AM..
Old 03-30-2008, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Baz - youll enjoy it more if you stop counting....
Old 03-30-2008, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Back to the subject:- Comon Baz. Snap out of it. - The trimmer charged me $AU1,300 to do the seats, dash and gear selector. He's still got the door trims / pockets, panel behind the seats and then the consul to do in leather. After that, he has to do the Wilton Carpet in the foot boxes and boot.

Baz.
Thanks Baz. That sounds pretty reasonable for a quality job.

I figure I'll get the seats covered, dash trimmed and a gear stick boot made in matching red leather. The door trims will probably be engine turned aluminium with a matching red leather pocket on them. Just got to fine a good local trimmer to do the job.

My wife and I went to the Royal Melbourne show a couple of years back. What a rip off. Huge lines of people to get in and then there was bugger all to se inside. Not looking forward to the day when my daughter is desperate to go and see the show.

Cheers

Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

I bought my Vintage wheels back when the dollar was around the .70c region. I think all up it was just over $3000 - I got stung with extra fees and charges at this end, thanx BAX - and the best money I ever spent on the car I reckon.

I haven't seen anything that's made in Australia even come close to the quality and finish of the these Vintage Wheels!!!