Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 02:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

still I'm a NSW bloke and from what I can tell engine choices are going to be somewhat limited. Something about the globe warming

Still all said and done, sell me on engine ideas.

I want
a.) 300 - 350bhp
b.) It to sound amazing.
c.) preferably be able to put a nice cobra air cover and cobra valve cover on
Old 04-14-2008, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Check out Aussie Mikes Gallery - he has a great intake on his LS1:

Im sure he can supply all the details. You would need to use a newer L76\L98\LS2 though in NSW, and they will all have electronic throttle control. I think you could adapt this setup to it after rego, but it might be a bit of mucking around just to get that look...bloody good look though!!

L76\L98 is 260kw plus out of the box - and with a cam you will get 300kw+ (400hp) at the wheels. Seriously, the other option is a ford boss, they are a huge motor, and will not fit into all kits.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

mushy
points a & b are achievable with either motor ( even a lexus V8 ) but DO NOT THINK OF HAVING " COBRA" ON A CHEV MOTOR IN ANY PART...... THAT DEFINITELY IS SACRILEGE!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

so I've got a choice between the L76\L98 and a boss 302/351? (would only think of GM and Ford)...

yeah dad 'n dave I though putting "powered by ford" on a chev engine would erk a few people and probably end up in having my car being fire bombed and me being linched..

I've heard through the grapevine that Shelby's shop still makes engines. I assume that these would have no chance of meeting emission regulations...

Last edited by mushy; 04-14-2008 at 03:55 AM..
Old 04-14-2008, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Mushy - In NSW you must use an engine from a compliant vehicle no more then 3 years old (at the time your new car is presented for rego). That rules out the popular (in qld)older lexus motors. You would not be able to get a shelby or other BB registered at all (unless you knew someone!)

In NSW at present I would guess 9 out of 10 recent completions or in construction cars are using a gen3\4 series engine. . Heres a graphic that may give you an idea of the size of the boss motor:

You will need to have very skinny feet.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tenrocca that's a brilliant diagram... Can I amputate my feet? They're only are good for walking... Should be able to mush a bloodied stump onto the peddles.

So the FE is that a Windsor?? what's the displacement? (would it be 352?) Has any cad genius compared the FE with the LS?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i have wiried up a cobra with a mustang 4.6 in it

they are very big motors

throttle body stuck way above the bonnet side lines
and sump hung down low enough to worry driver over bumps

it can be done but more work is involved

ive also done an aussie ba 5.4 into a 67 fastback mustang
they had to refit thinner inner strut tower guards

plus the aussie 5.4 is not as good as the usa 4.6

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 04-14-2008, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

FE (Forf Edsel) is the original Big block motors the CSX3XXX cars got (What you think of as a 427 Cobra) many actually got 428 motors as the 427 was more expensive and harder to source when Shelby was manufacturing them. The 428 had a smaller bore and longer stroke than the 427. The 427 motor is what's known as the "Side Oiler" as it had a different oil galleries and priority main lubrication and no provision for hydraulic lifters.

Do a bit of reading on this forum and you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about the original Cobras.

The Boss motor we are talking about is the new Modular 5.4 fitted to the XR8 Falcon. There were a couple of Ford motors to wear the Boss label over the years. The original being the Boss 302 which was efectively a 302 Windsor bottom end fitted with the big 4V cleveland heads. This was a screamer motor built for Trans Am racing in the US. Later there was a 351 version in the Mustang but I think this was just a warmed up 351 windsor. The mightiest motor to wear the Boss label was the Boss 429 used in some early 70's mustangs. This was the 385 series bottom end (what is more commonly seen as a 460 cube motor). It had some rather special hemispherical chambered heads and was an absolute weapon. It was sometimes called the Shotgun motor. It was built by Ford in an attempt to unseat the mighty 426 Chrysler Hemi.

If we could run the original boss motor I would have one in my Cobra. I'd build a tall deck Windsor bottom end with a set of CHI 3V Cleveland heads on it and make a lazy 600HP.

As for comparing the size of the size of the LS series engines to the FE? They are about the same size as a 302 Windsor but with a much more compact intake setup. All alloy construction also makes them significantly lighter than the Windsor. Pretty amazing for a motor that can be punched out to more than 454 cubes using the Bowtie LSX block.

I love my Fords and have owned quite a few but I just love the engineering in this LS series motor.

Cheers

Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi mushy if you are after a cobra i have mine for sale it is british racing green with gold strips if you want to know more give us a call .94345128 ah Lindsay