Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default Help. The taps broken!!!!!!!!!

Was fitting the door locks. Had drilled the holes and was tapping the thread when the tap broke off, deep in the hole. I've tried everything to get that little bugger out from trying to drill it out (the taps far harder than the drill), trying to ram it out with a centre punch and BIG hammer to trying to cut a slit in the top of the broken tap so I could screw it out. (the tap is so hard that I can't even scratch its head). Unfortunately, she aint budging.

My final idea is to get a new door.

Can any one come up with a better solution than my last option PLEASE?

Baz
Old 06-30-2008, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Baz...my first reaction to this was "oh f**k".

I KNOW you want some wonderful engineering suggestion as to how to do this, but taps are made of HARDENED steel and I think you may be screwed here my friend. I don't think you can do this yourself at all as the type of tools typically available to us "enthusiastic amatuer" car builders will not make a dent in that tap! My recommendation is to take the whole thing to a professional machine shop and see if they can do it for you!!!

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

would you like for me to come take a look at it???
Old 06-30-2008, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey,littlecobra View Post
would you like for me to come take a look at it???
Hey, Little Cobra,

Please send photo first. Bernie's told me about you.

Baz:
Old 06-30-2008, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

You could take it to a Tool & Cutter grinder and they will be able to spark erode it out. Not sure what they charge but no damage to the surrounding metal thats got your tap stuck in it.

Leeroy
Old 06-30-2008, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Baz

If you can access up the tap grooves, perhaps a set of high quality thin long nose pliers to get into these grooves to allow a twisting unscrewing action. Plenty of lubricant and if you can afford to apply heat all the better.

A long shot I guess but better than buying a new door!! lol

Cheers
Old 06-30-2008, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The above idea regarding long needle nose pliers is spot on. Heat the surrounding area carefully and use a tapping fluid in lieu of oil.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 06-30-2008, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

Guys, if you read Baz's post it would seem that the tap is DEEP inside the hole with NO threads sticking out that could be grabbed by needle nosed. THAT won't work, true Baz????

Glyn

PS, I am WELL into a bottle of McCallan's tonight, so though verbose, I may be just a little less than lucid...forgive me...LOL

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"

Last edited by GlynMeek; 06-30-2008 at 09:25 PM..
Old 06-30-2008, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
Baz

If you can access up the tap grooves, perhaps a set of high quality thin long nose pliers to get into these grooves to allow a twisting unscrewing action. Plenty of lubricant and if you can afford to apply heat all the better.

A long shot I guess but better than buying a new door!! lol

Cheers
Steve,

Mate. Tried that. No luck either.

Baz
Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynMeek View Post
Guys, if you read Baz's post it would seem that the tap is DEEP inside the hole with NO threads sticking out that could be grabbed by needle nosed. THAT won't work, true Baz????

Glyn

PS, I am WELL into a bottle of McCallan's tonight, so though verbose, I may be just a little less than lucid...forgive me...LOL
Glyn,

You've hit on the solution and probably didn't realize. I'll pour some McCallans down the hole which in turn will dissolve the broken tap. Thanks mate. Your a genius.

Baz
Old 06-30-2008, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

in vino veritas...LOL

Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Laborum, laboras, laborat.......

About the sum total of my memories of Latin lessons.............

But for you Baz it means labour on, there must be away out.

Happy swearing!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

I have had some luck TIG welding a smaller long bolt to the broken tap. If that is not a possible I have used an arc welder set at high current setting to burn out the flute to then pull remainder out. Best of luck .
Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

stepen low's recommendation is very sound. Use a specific oil made for tapping, and apply heat carefully around the outside of the hole to make the hole expand and release the grip on the tap while sliding the tongs of the needle nose into the flutes of the tap. EDM (Electical Discharge Machining) Leeroys suggestion will work too, but is a little more involved; or (?) could the immediate surrounding area the hole is in be cut out and a "Patch" carefully welded in???

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 06-30-2008 at 09:49 PM..
Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Like I said Baz, barring your ownership of a TIG welder !!!! take it to a professional machine shop

per ardua ad astra!!!!

amor omnia vincit

Old 06-30-2008, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Bugger

HI Baz,
I did something similar with an NPT tap into a brand new dart block.

I recon I lost 10ltrs of sweat when I realised what I had just done.

I grabed an old spanner and cut one end of and cut the center out, if you like made a 2 tine fork, the tines fit into the groves of the tap.

Then with plenty of tapping fluid and a gentle hand backed the tap out.

Phil
Old 07-01-2008, 12:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Baz

Mmm pouring McCallans down the hole may release the broken tap - but watch that it does not start dripping on your shoes..

Seriously good luck with getting it out.

Now hey'littlecobra may be able to talk it out - persuasive..

Last edited by BMK; 07-02-2008 at 03:55 AM..
Old 07-01-2008, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Once you start using a hammer,

Baz Snap-on or a real good tool maker should have a set of extractors for broken taps. It's a tool with 4 thin tool steel pins that go down between each flute on the tap. With a lite hand they will get out about 90% of the taps. Once you start the hammer and chisle deal, this will not work. Did you bottom out the tap? It takes alot to break one, even cheap ones. Heating them is another no-no. Take it to a machine shop and let them repair the hole Rick.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #77
Not Ranked     

Baz,
There are tap extractors you can buy for extracting broken taps, I have not been all that successful with them but may be worth a try. They are a pronged tool that goes down the flutes of the tap then you use a tap wrench to turn them and the tap hopefully. Failing this method spark erosion is then the best option.
Good luck I can feel your pain.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb All is not lost.

There is a couple of ways to get it out being a tool maker does not stop me from breaking a tap now and then . you can drill a tap by using a carbide tip drill samer as you use on concrete you can sharpen it so it cuts the tap use rocol or trefolex to lube it. you have to get running true or it will just slide side ways.
The other way is normally used on bigger taps but it works on small taps as well it depends on the location of the tap and weather you can put heat on it. what you do is get oxy cutting torch with the smallest cutting tip you have and the pricipal of this is that an oxy torch will not cut the metal until its hot enough so you heat the tap quickly and hit the cutting button which will blow out the tap but leave the rest pretty well intact its all about how much heat the steel can take before it starts to cut . you could also use a plazma cutter which works well also but most people dont have one.
Some time you just have to give it a go drill a bigger hole knock the tap out and braze it up and re drill and tap it.

I hope this helps i have used both techniques with success.
Regards oz.