Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

WOW...as a Texan reading this thread I have to admit some AMAZEMENT about the braking test from 160 kph! What's it like over there in Russia now with all these new rules?

Still, I guess the trains run on time!

LOL

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 08-07-2008, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush fibreglass
Not Ranked     

BTW, the RTA are now asking for photos of the car, front, back, side, cockpit. This gives them additional scope for nit-picking. On mine for example they asked me to prove that the angle between the drivers eye and the speedo was compliant with the ADRs. They also wanted to see number plate brackets even though I didnt yet have plates!

What is it with them about constantly tightening the rules - has there been a spate of ICV's crashing due to poor build quality? - I doubt it.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

somewhere, somehow... something has got to give..... But when...who knows... The sooner we come in alignment with the HOT Rodders the better IMO. Perhaps the RTA in an odd way are also trying to tell us the same thing!

Sorry Thread HIGHJACK! Back to main topic! Stuff heaps of Stainless scourer pads up your muffler!! Works a treat! But doesn't last long and don't stuff too much it simply won't go!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

It's a while back now but I had to perform a stationary test as well as a drive-by (in two directions) in second gear accelerating. My car passed engine bay noise but struggled with exhaust (temporary under car . exit on rh side system) the exhaust was too quiet..it whistled and freaked out the sound meters on the rh pass. creative averaging made the paperwork look good.
As far as engine noise I've seen one bloke temporarily line the engine bay with high density foam (black sponge like) to keep the noise down. it worked...there was much care taken to avoid hot bits. All wired and taped back to be held in place for a short time . I think it was glued to light ply or heavy cardboard to do the job.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

This is becoming a real worry. We should all put in Corolla motors and be done with it. If you want complete confusion see: http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/gene...sedADR8300.pdf

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default Time to change this 160kph brake test crap.

Enough is enough.

This morning I took the time to draft out a two page set of representations which I emailed and also faxed to the Minister for Roads in NSW Parliament, Mr. Eric Roozendaal MP requesting answers to a number of questions as raised my members of this Forum in this thread and also of my personal concerns to this ridiculous change in procedures relating to the high speed brake test.

I concluded the reps., to Roozendaal with the following comment:-"Truthfully, I doubt whether you are even aware of the existence of this ridiculous amendment, as no person in their right mind would allow it to be implemented."

I also sent a copy of the representations to a good M.P. friend of mine who sits in the Legislative Council in the Opposition Benches.

Lets see if it does any good. Hopefully, we will be doing brake tests at speeds less than the maximum speed limit in the near future and not necessarily on private roads or race tracks.

Baz
Old 08-08-2008, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Good move Baz.

Since my post on this subject and raising concern regarding possible accidents. I got to wondering how exactly Insurance companies would view an accident under this testing. I would guess Insurance companies and their legal representatives would have very valid argument to refuse a claim.

I then got to thinking about Workers Compensation for the engineers and also how Workplace health and Safety would view this bureaucratic brainstorm.

I can understand auto manufacturers ( Ford, Holden, Chev etc.) being made to undertake these tests with controlled testing conditions, robot controlled test mules etc and amortizing those costs across thousands of cars, but for an ICV.....just plain stupidity.

Good work Baz.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC 302 Windsor Supra 5 speed Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     

Hi Bobby,

I took my car to the Midland centre to be licensed and there was no drive by test, they accepted the engineers testing and report. They do not have the equipment to test your car at the licensing centre. My car makes a lot of noise, but they did not complain, they did fail it because it was backfirinfg and that was loud, but tuning fixed that and it passed the second time.

My engineer only did static testing, there was no requirement for drive by testing when it was done a year ago, have the rules changed in WA?

Ross
Old 08-08-2008, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Hi Ross,

I have a different engineer so perhaps that's where the driveby test comes from. I do know that your engineer must have been very nice to you, because there is no way your car would come anywhere close to as quiet as mine is right now, and mine is a fair way off passing.
Your car is loud, sounds bloody awesome and I'm jealous as hell...
Old 08-08-2008, 11:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up The wheels of Government have started to turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Good move Baz.

Since my post on this subject and raising concern regarding possible accidents. I got to wondering how exactly Insurance companies would view an accident under this testing. I would guess Insurance companies and their legal representatives would have very valid argument to refuse a claim.

I then got to thinking about Workers Compensation for the engineers and also how Workplace health and Safety would view this bureaucratic brainstorm.

I can understand auto manufacturers ( Ford, Holden, Chev etc.) being made to undertake these tests with controlled testing conditions, robot controlled test mules etc and amortizing those costs across thousands of cars, but for an ICV.....just plain stupidity.

Good work Baz.
Rebel,

My four requests to the Minister, reflects the Insurance question as well as a couple of other matters that you have mentioned previously in this thread. These are the 4 requests and comment that I sent:-

1. An explanation as to why his Dept., is insisting that a member of the NSW public, places his/her life at risk to comply with this ridiculous amendment?

2. Who accepts responsibility if someone is seriously injured or even killed during these testing procedures?

3. Is this State prepared to pay for any damage caused to the vehicle during these tests, as the owners Insurance Company certainly won't?

4. That this ridiculous requirement be immediately overturned and that future brake tests be carried out at speeds under the maximum speed limit applicable in this Country.

Final comment: "Not only is it dangerous, but it also rips your new tyres and brake pads to pieces. Just because a person builds an I.C.V.., that doesn't mean that they are comfortable or even capable of driving at 160kph, let alone doing crash stops from that speed. Anything could happen and eventually will."

I have already received a reply back from my friendly M.P. who sits on the Opposition Bench in the Legislative Council. She responded to my email whilst holidaying in Turkey and stated that she totally supports my submissions and has instructed her staff to proceed in pursuing this matter with full vigour in the House.

Sounds good to me and that's a good start.

Baz.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Good stuff Baz, sorry for the shanghai but it's very valid to all of us.

I'm still wanting to push the issue down here in Victoria as until we get a set of national rules we are at the mercy of the burecratic microbes.

I'd guess most have no linkage to our ICV lusts and hence don't give a tinkers's cuss whether we really exist or not. It's up to us to save our own future!
Old 08-09-2008, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Guys,

Remember that this is a public forum, and anyone including the RTA could be reading this. At the end of the day, the rules are in place and we have to build and present a car that complies if we want registration.

I managed to pass the noise testing, but it took a lot of sound proofing and induction pipe trials before I got even close.

The brake testing is pretty freaky at 160 Kph - I am glad it was the engineer doing this and not me! The tyres and brakes sure get a workout.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 08-09-2008, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Does this brake test from 160 km/h apply in all States? Or only NSW?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Beejay, that's exactly the point...who cares if they read this or not.....the NSW Minister is about to get a letter so who cares if he gets some preview of a voting public opinion.

You say the brake test was freaky...what if something failed and the engineer and your car ended on a scrap heap?. Did you check if your insurance would pay out if an accident did happen during testing?.

Are you really telling me that you would be content to loose your $k60-$k80
cobra because a bureaucrat was too lazy to read the fine print?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
Guys,

Remember that this is a public forum, and anyone including the RTA could be reading this. At the end of the day, the rules are in place and we have to build and present a car that complies if we want registration.

I managed to pass the noise testing, but it took a lot of sound proofing and induction pipe trials before I got even close.

The brake testing is pretty freaky at 160 Kph - I am glad it was the engineer doing this and not me! The tyres and brakes sure get a workout.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 08-09-2008, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Maybe if your testing a vehicle on a race track your insurance and liability is null and void. The nsw rta is very cunning.
I have seen 100 kph stop tests required with 1/2 brake system disabled then the other half disabled...all lock up wheel braking. then a four wheel lock up test. Imagine the work to do this...bleed brakes, disconnect lines and plug outlets. several times. each time putting flat spots on tyres. It was required for my vehicle but my engineer submitted a 10 page (two sided) report on the brakes alone and the rta accepted that. (good bet they never even read it) By the way it was 1200 bucks a day to hire oran park raceway main straight...It wasn't even possible to have a few laps !
Old 08-09-2008, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Sounds like all you NSW. guys haven't done for this Braking Test is DROP YOUR PANTS AND BEND OVER, There is no f$$king way I'd allow anybody to conduct such a BS TEST....Rock up with your own Contract Requiring the vehicle be returned in the same condition it was released to their Control and see if they are then willing to perform the Test ....''That's OK Sir I won't be performing that Test Today,It's not a Compulsory requirement and i'll just tick that off for you!!"

..Did the ENGINEER have a CAMS Licence???

..What Certification Did the Engineer have to assess a Vehicle at those speeds,I'm quite sure he wouldn't have had an Advanced Driving Certification and probally nobody..... including the THOSE who implementented it have even ensured the testers have a relevent QUALIFICATION for this speed test

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-09-2008, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. Smith View Post
Maybe if your testing a vehicle on a race track your insurance and liability is null and void. The nsw rta is very cunning.
Exactly Rob....let me play devils advocate here:

1. Beejay said the engineer was driving the car during testing on a track.
2. A tyre blows out at 160Klm just as the engineer gets hard on the brakes.
3. The car turns sideways and rolls several times.
4. The engineer survives but is now disabled and unable to work.
5. Workers Compensation knocks back his claim because the accident was on a track and he was driving over the state posted speed limit.
6. Your insurance refuses your claim to repair the car for the same reasons.
7. The last resort for the engineers family is to take legal action against you as the owner of the car.
8. Because the engineer used to earn nett. $k100 per year and had 20 years before retirement they sue you for $2,000,000.00 loss of income, indexed at the court discretion plus $k10 per year disability support and care. Total about $5,000,000.00 minimum plus distress at court discretion.

Obviously you contest and after 5 years the court awards the family $1,000,000.00 and costs. Your legal costs are $250.000 and theirs $300.000.

There goes the farm.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
Guys,

Cheers,

Ben
Ben,

I really hope the RTA are reading this.

Baz
Old 08-09-2008, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Playing the game

I passed the noise test with my car by doing exactly what Ben did and wrap everying up seal off all holes like side vents well wells etc.

I do not understand the change to 160kms it makes no sence and as you guys have said I am sure most of the cars will not be driven at that speeds, expecially the LS1 powered cars

I think we have done fairly well with the ICV rule changes in the past, but as Matt has said the move to a more taylored set of rules like the hot rodders would be the only way the ICV will survive.

Good work Baz

Les, the numbers are scary, but this is what could happen.

Phil
Old 08-09-2008, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I should have been clearer guys, no issue talking about the stupidity of 160 Kph brake tests in an open forum - it probably deserves it's own thread.

I do think that we need to be careful about discussions on passing noise, officially our cars should stay in the same configuration as when complied.

Cheers,

Ben