Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     
Question How to tell Fe 427 from 460 bb.

HI guys who can tell an easy way to tell the fe big block from a later 460 style big block.
oz.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Intake manifold goes under the valve cover
Old 09-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

The manifold functions as part of the head...the push rods go through the intake. If you want to see an FE manifold and how it fits....search Russ' Butler on this forum. There you will see how the manifold and the head go together. Hope this helps
Old 09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid
Not Ranked     
Smile

Scott,

Are you going to finally run a "real" motor in your car rather than that 800hp twin turbo little monster motor?

Kris
Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Thanks.

Thanks guys i just could not remember what the difference was i had been told in the past. No Kris it is a customers cobra i am working on and wanted to be sure when i need to get it going I get the right info .
It has to be run on lpg and i have been told that i would need a dual carb manifold for it as the standard gas carby will not flow enough to the bb.
see the thread on my new race car.
its very close and is pretty fast. for only 242 ci. and 1 hair dryer.
Race Car Taking Shape

oz.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Yikes! How did I miss that thread? Looks nice and wicked. I dig the roll cage, it looks sorta like the car Holman Moody drug over to the Bahamas in '62, only yours is on steroids!

I hope everything is well with you and the family.

Kris
Old 09-03-2008, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Not Ranked     

Here is a pic of my 427 FE. Hope it helps.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2008, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 931 mangled in parkinglot incident - traded for new house roof <sob>
Not Ranked     

Here is a pic of one of my FE.....F.orced E.xtraction

McVette
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Who built that one?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 931 mangled in parkinglot incident - traded for new house roof <sob>
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Who built that one?
Don't know....I think Ford did. It was in a glaxie I bought years ago. You can see it's a damn pos. Those FE engines had one good aplication...put em in a boat! That way when you had a Forced Extraction it was easy to loop the chain through the block and throw them overboard. Made great anchors or brakewalls!

You see Ford kept putting wider and heavier rods in them until they wouldn't rev over 6000 rpm so they finally held up in dump trucks. Don't make me keep going......

McVette
Old 09-03-2008, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Excuse me for the hijack guys...but this needs to be said.

Don't worry about me asking you to go on, because I won't.

Just because you had an engine throw a rod doesn't mean all FE's are junk. I've seen you make these posts now for the past two weeks, and there's not one bit of logic behind them.

I've seen a BBC throw a rod before...I've seen a Hemi throw a rod. Does that mean that they're boat anchors and shouldn't be used in any high performance situation? I've seen the SBF's (that you put on such a high pedestal) throw rods, split blocks, blow the crankshafts out the bottom, etc.

If it wasn't for the 427, I would venture to say that the Cobra wouldn't have the reputation that it does today.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the FE is the end all be all of engines. I have a great respect for different engine types and families. However, just because you had one that threw a rod really doesn't mean anything to me at all.

As I've said before, misunderstanding leads to confusion.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Not Ranked     

Keith Craft built mine. Runs and looks awesome. It also sounds like a big block... lol........

Last edited by danc30; 09-03-2008 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: for the FE hater...
Old 09-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Ozvenom:

If you need additional details, an excellent reference:

Ford
221-CID to 460-CID
Engine Parts Interchange

George Reid

Available @ Amazon

Last edited by Don; 09-03-2008 at 12:41 PM..
Old 09-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

I am hearing a lot of B...S... about FE's. How about the line of engines starting with a 352, 390, 406, 427, 428 and several hundred NASCAR and NHRA wins along the way including some championships.

So, lets stop the "anchor" talk about FE's. They have been around a long time and beat just about everything out there.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post

If it wasn't for the 427, I would venture to say that the Cobra wouldn't have the reputation that it does today.
I don't want to take this thread off track either but I must respond.
THe Cobra is
known for winning the worlds manufacturing championship in 1965 with the 289 on the transverse leaf spring chassis and that's it baby !! When the brick
configuration couldn't run the high speed circuits it was the coupe that saved the day and that's what lead Enzo to throw in the towel not the 427 POS.
The 427 did some SCCA racing but
that is just amateur stuff and has no bearing on real international feats like the worlds championship and beating Ferrari at his own game...

As far as the modern FE engine everyone uses now, the week parts have been up-graded starting with the block and everthing else inside the engine.
What we have is a replica FE.. The real ones blew up or belong in a museum.
Ford kept making the small block long after it sh!t canned the FE. Case closed.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 514 ci
Not Ranked     

McDoo.....You ignorant wino slut

The Cobra is NOT known for winning the World's Manufacturing Championship....at least not by 90% of the Cobra enthusiasts. Most of us never heard of the World's Manufacturing Championship. What we saw was the dude down the street running around in his 427 Cobra with a hot chick at his side. What we saw were the ads in the newspapers advertising the fastest production car of all times (the 427 Cobra). What we saw was a raw over powered sports car sitting on the Ford Dealer's showroom floor with a $6000 sticker that could only be afforded by the Cadillac crowd. What we knew about was Bill Cosby and the Cobra. We dreamed of the ghastly rumble of an engine that thrust fear into old people and made small children cry. No one ever gave a flying flip about who won some remote race we never even heard of. We were the kids of the 60's. We knew about the Indianapolis and Daytona 500's and the National Drags (and gator nationals in later years). The kids of the 60's were drag racers. It was the muscle car era. You elitist racer types were sitting around sipping your wine and discussing race history and praising the ring-da-dah-ding-ding of high winding sissy cars while we were out slapping gears and praying parts didn't fly. If we could not build it in the garage with parts from the junkyard, we didn't have it. Remember when we squeezed the biggest engine we could into the smallest lightest car we could? Like cramming a 327 Chevy V8 engine into an Austin Healy. Sh... I mean "stuff" like that.

So put on your thick wierdo sweater with patches on the sleeves, grab a glass of wine, take a puff off your pipe and go cram your nose into another racing history book while the rest of us cram big engines into fast cars. Talk about something you know....like that girly Corvette you drive that will help you pick up all the little boys you want you sicko-commie.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Gary,
Texians are suppose to tell it like it is.

Why are you holding back ?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

What have you started Scott? This is like the North V the South all over again.

Baz
Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary osborne View Post
McDoo.....You ignorant wino slut

The Cobra is NOT known for winning the World's Manufacturing Championship....at least not by 90% of the Cobra enthusiasts. Most of us never heard of the World's Manufacturing Championship. What we saw was the dude down the street running around in his 427 Cobra with a hot chick at his side. What we saw were the ads in the newspapers advertising the fastest production car of all times (the 427 Cobra). What we saw was a raw over powered sports car sitting on the Ford Dealer's showroom floor with a $6000 sticker that could only be afforded by the Cadillac crowd. What we knew about was Bill Cosby and the Cobra. We dreamed of the ghastly rumble of an engine that thrust fear into old people and made small children cry. No one ever gave a flying flip about who won some remote race we never even heard of. We were the kids of the 60's. We knew about the Indianapolis and Daytona 500's and the National Drags (and gator nationals in later years). The kids of the 60's were drag racers. It was the muscle car era. You elitist racer types were sitting around sipping your wine and discussing race history and praising the ring-da-dah-ding-ding of high winding sissy cars while we were out slapping gears and praying parts didn't fly. If we could not build it in the garage with parts from the junkyard, we didn't have it. Remember when we squeezed the biggest engine we could into the smallest lightest car we could? Like cramming a 327 Chevy V8 engine into an Austin Healy. Sh... I mean "stuff" like that.

So put on your thick wierdo sweater with patches on the sleeves, grab a glass of wine, take a puff off your pipe and go cram your nose into another racing history book while the rest of us cram big engines into fast cars. Talk about something you know....like that girly Corvette you drive that will help you pick up all the little boys you want you sicko-commie.

"Guys, I realy hate being dragged into this pile of sh!t but you gotta
remmber the FE is the motor that replace the flat head. Remmber? and the
Flat head replaced the steam engine. So were talking about flat head
steam engine technology here. I really don't want to get into any other
details on this site and Fun is Fun but there is a limit you know. I
really really don't care anymore. I really really really don't care
anymore. I really really really really really don't care anymore. I
don't really care..Thank you"

How do you get ahold of Jamo?

McVette
Old 09-03-2008, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by McD00 View Post
I don't want to take this thread off track either but I must respond. THe Cobra is known for winning the worlds manufacturing championship in 1965 with the 289 on the transverse leaf spring chassis and that's it baby !! When the brick
configuration couldn't run the high speed circuits it was the coupe that saved the day and that's what lead Enzo to throw in the towel not the 427 POS.
The 427 did some SCCA racing but
that is just amateur stuff and has no bearing on real international feats like the worlds championship and beating Ferrari at his own game...

As far as the modern FE engine everyone uses now, the week parts have been up-graded starting with the block and everthing else inside the engine.
What we have is a replica FE.. The real ones blew up or belong in a museum.
Ford kept making the small block long after it sh!t canned the FE. Case closed.
Mc Doo-Doo, you know you wanted to throw this thread off track, that's what makes it fun. But I can see you must be one of those $ucking lawyers with your half truth's, or at least a lawyer want-a-be.

Cobra is known for winning world championship - yes- mainly by the ferrari/euro crowd. Cobra also known for beating vettes at every level, not to mention the POS mustang did as well, by the SCCA crowd, and the 427 cobra by the street cruiser crowd.

The coupe was a great car, but looks to me like brock somewhat copied the bodylines of the GTO introduced 2 years previously.

You're right that the 427 did SCCA racing, as was very successful may I add. But, like I said before, it competed in USRRC in the prototype class, because Shelby didn't build enough of them to qualify for the GT class where the 289 was already. It's a shame because the 427 roadster was proven many times to be a faster car than the 289 roadster, and it's very possible the 427 supercoupe would have won lemans outright instead of the GT40's MKII cars if Ford didn;t put pressure on Shelby. Brock has stated that the 427 supercoupe would have been faster than the GT40's. Now whether that is true or not, I don't know, but I bet it would have been faster than the 289 coupes.

Finally, the SBF was really a POS back then, and if not for the completely redesigned heads they are offering now, it still would be delegated to econoboxes. With the FE's, the heads today are either the same or slightly improved upon because their potential as designed was so much better than the original SBF heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary osborne View Post
McDoo.....You ignorant wino slut --- So put on your thick wierdo sweater with patches on the sleeves, grab a glass of wine, take a puff off your pipe and go cram your nose into another racing history book while the rest of us cram big engines into fast cars. Talk about something you know....like that girly Corvette you drive that will help you pick up all the little boys you want you sicko-commie.
My, my Gary, getting alittle hot now.

Another great thread, but it needs to go another 15 pages before it can be ranked with some of the best.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."