Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     
Default Highs and Low's of my Build so far

Hi everyone,

I just though I'd share some of my progress so far. I'm the one on a fast track with my CR2008 chassis. I am aming for rego at end of this year due to engine emission etc etc. Photos are in gallery if you feel inclined to have a look.

High:
Have been working hard each night and have nearly completed all of the wiring. Just need to do the actual dash. Have hooked up the Engine loom to the Body loom and body loom to steering column and fitted all of the lights.

Fitted the windscreen on the weekend, man that was very tedious operation as I didnt want to stress it and crack it etc. But all ok. Looks like a car now.

My wheels arrived today and am getting the tyres fitted tomorrow so will send photoso of them on the car over the weekend.

Low:
Made the mistake of drilling my holes for my wipers 90 degrees to the body and not windscreen. Now I have to turn them into an elipse. Not sure if I should get a 16mm drill bit or I have a small 16mm hole saw??? Any suggestions before I bugger it up further would be welcome. I suppose it isnt painted so I can cover up my mistakes if I really need to.

Really Low point:
Was quite happy with myself the other day and then thought just before I finsih up I will screw the Water Temp Sensor to the rear of the driver side head. (LS1 has a 12mm 1.5 hole for this so you have to use a thread adapter). I was screwing in the adaptor and the head broke off. I was cursing and swearing all over the place. Having a rolling chassis I put the engine in with the body on and forgot to put the sensor on first.

I had horrible thoughts of having to rip out the engine again just to get this piece of brass out of the side of the head.

All I can say is thank whoever the person is who invented "easyouts" I owe them big time. I wasnt sure if they would work but they did. Best 6 buck I ever spent.

I need a few beers and a scotch now.

Anyway gotta go and earn a living to pay for all of this fun.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 10-14-2008, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Good progress there Gregg! Re the wiper holes, I found that a Dremmel with a small sanding drum was ideal for shaping the holes.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Agree with Merv, I have used a die grinder on numerous occasions to make holes bigger or to change there shape

Just had a look at your pics, great progress.
One question I have, does the new round tube chassis not use the jag front end?
I see you have commodore calipers fitted and the caliper is at the front?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 10-14-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

dremel sounds like a good idea. It's about time I bought a new tool.

Boxhead, yes the new chassis uses VZ hubs on the front and brakes with Ians custom suspension arms and rear is mostly VE with custom upper arms and maybe some other bits.

The thing I like about it is that you can easily get bolt on brake upgrades.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 10-14-2008, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Glass 302 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I know how you feel about the highs and lows as im experiancing them both on my resto.
The latest was getting new wheel bearings for the Jag front end, sounds easy enough, ring CBC yes no problems with the bearings but we cant supply the proper seal the nearest one is 1/2 a mm bigger. No worries need new sway bar links call Jagdaim and for $25.00 per side complete with seals. Parts arive check the seal and it isnt the same as what came out and feels very low tension, oh well lets just get the front back on, press the cones into the hub mount the new discs, what the %^&$ the bearing doesnt fit the stub, take the old ones to CBC yep standard holden $23.70 later and I have enough bearings to do both sides. Deep breath mumble something to myself and get on with it.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Ed, make sure you keep a list of all the parts, part numbers and donor parts that are used.
Will make it much easier when it is time to replace bits and pieces.

Here is a link to the manual that Hogster (Andrew) was asking about earlier in the year.
http://www.snakebite.com.au/tech_info.html?faq_item=1
I have filled in many pages of parts and part numbers.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 10-14-2008 at 11:50 PM..
Old 10-14-2008, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0braed View Post
I know how you feel about the highs and lows as im experiancing them both on my resto.
The latest was getting new wheel bearings for the Jag front end, sounds easy enough, ring CBC yes no problems with the bearings but we cant supply the proper seal the nearest one is 1/2 a mm bigger. No worries need new sway bar links call Jagdaim and for $25.00 per side complete with seals. Parts arive check the seal and it isnt the same as what came out and feels very low tension, oh well lets just get the front back on, press the cones into the hub mount the new discs, what the %^&$ the bearing doesnt fit the stub, take the old ones to CBC yep standard holden $23.70 later and I have enough bearings to do both sides. Deep breath mumble something to myself and get on with it.
Jag fronts seem to have a few different bearing and seal combinations. I found mine had different hubs on each side with different seal setups. I reckon the front end must have been in a bingle and had a hub replaced at some point.

Not a problem now though since I built my own hubs and pissed the original ones off.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, at least I finished on a high.

Just did a trial fitting of my wheels and all looks good.

Am fitting the tyres tomorrow so tomorrow night is the big night for the "full look" of the wheels and tyres.

Externally other than mirrors the car will be looking like the finished product bar the painting - which I'll do after rego.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 10-15-2008, 12:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Looking forward to seing the new chassis sitting on its wheels. We've only seen bits and pieces of the new car so far. It'll be good to see one rolling.

Cheers

Old 10-15-2008, 12:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Glass 302 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Ed, make sure you keep a list of all the parts, part numbers and donor parts that are used.
Will make it much easier when it is time to replace bits and pieces.

Here is a link to the manual that Hogster (Andrew) was asking about earlier in the year.
http://www.snakebite.com.au/tech_info.html?faq_item=1
I have filled in many pages of parts and part numbers.
I have that manual and showed mine to Hogster so that is how he came to looking for it only problem is that Ive packed it away somewhere because at the time I wasnt expecting to have a Cobra parked in my shed. I am keeping track of the part numbers of the important bits without letting the missus know how much Im spending, ie just bought new coil overs $685.00 a pair and reupholstered the seats $800.00 the pair so I dont know how well that will go over let alone the stuff she doesnt know about.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Fantastic progress, it took me over 2 years to get to this stage. I love the look of the round tubing, it really looks good. Please keep the photos coming.

Regards.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Gregg

Great progress. Don't worry about the lows they are just learning..

There is nothing that you cannot fix up. The progress is great. Mmmm I bet the highs out run the lows...

Highs....wait until you start up and take that first drive.

Good luck with the build
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 10-15-2008, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Agree with you Bernie, first start and then first drive are 2 very big highs

Cruising in 5th

Old 10-15-2008, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I heard some stories of people also getting a broken "easyout" stuck as well, so I think I got off lightly.

Got my tyres fitted to the rims this morning on the way to work. Cant wait to get home tonight to see what they look like on the car.

Yes the two moments I am most looking forward to are getting the engine going (I hope it works) and getting rego. Once this is done I can then take my time and muck around as much as I like.

Rgds

Gregg