Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 12:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default 540 Update

I have been asked a few questions about the build lately. Like the old saying saids a pictures is worth a thousand words.

The starter motor is accessed through the passenger side footwell

The fibreglass starter motor cover

Modified crossmember

Repositioned O2 sensor
The above pictures of the headers are mods that is required to aftermarket headers(Pacemakers) to fit them in. The Pacemaker headers are around half the price of custom made headers.

Completed exhaust system

Exhaust outlets

I deceided not to use the CV or the rubber coupling that is on the ford tailshaft. I had a new one made up with decent size universal joints.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

Looks great warren I can't wait to get my kit its supposed to be ready early march... Do you have mufflers behind the back axle will it be Quiet enough? to pass rego? is the starter fitted from the inside? do you have to leave the carpet loose to access the starter if you need to... you must be getting close to paint!! bet you can't wait
Cheers Mark
Old 12-16-2008, 01:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Great pics Warren, Lots of interesting stuff to see in there.

I love project update posts. keep em coming.

Cheers

Old 12-16-2008, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There will be enough work stripping the falcon, making brackets and general gathering of parts to keep you busy until March.

The starter motor comes out through the footwell and the carpet will need to be made so the cover can be removed.

As I lowered the floor 45mm the mufflers had to be custom made. The mufflers are those four pieces of pipe behind the xpipe. Scott from Scotts Rods in Ipswich came up this idea. The pipes are about 3.5 inches dia and a section of an auger is welded in. This idea appears to work well as the noise level is about 92db.

Its looks more finished than it is. All the latches for the doors, boot, bonnet, bonnet locating pins etc etc etc and the list of little jobs seems to get longer. Hoping to have it to the painters around April/May.

Warren
Old 12-21-2008, 01:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     
Default 540

Warren Heres My GT-P For the 540 Just sold the interior for $3000!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The front is not as tidy!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Killer

AC 460,

Who did it kill???

STIFFY

P.S. what did it cost?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah it does look like its hit someone !!!!! There's no blood........
Bought it out of pickles autions in adelaide for $11500 cost $550 to get it to NSW I thought it was cheap considering it has 290 boss 6 speed and Brembo's it also has pacemaker extractors and a quad system Done 68k's Car is mint from windsreen back the only thing thats damaged that I need is the radiator
Cheers Mark
Old 12-21-2008, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Hey Mark

What goodies would fit on my BF XR8?

Steve
Old 12-21-2008, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark

You got a good buy with your car. No blood is good.
I thought you would have had it stripped down by now.
By the look of it I think you might also need a new front crossmember.
Did the power steering reservoir and front part of the wiring harness survive the impact? Did the air bags go off?
If you do need anything around the front suspension the AU series 3 has the same front suspension as the BA/BF.
By the time you sell the wheels, exhaust etc it will work out to be a very cheap donor car.

Warren
Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I already have another front crossmember. At this stage Im going to use the exhaust on the 540 its all stainless 2 1/2 and mandrell bends i'll just get whatever I can ceramic coated
Old 12-21-2008, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark

Tip No1 :-
Modify your headers and have them ceramic coated and fitted back on the motor before you install it in the car.
If you havn't access to a hoist the removal and installation of the pacemaker headers with the car on stands will be almost impossible. Even off a hoist this job is difficult.
Unless your hands are the size of a 10 year old the available room makes it difficult to install the bolts through the flanges.
I have a hoist and removed and replaced the headers with the motor in the car. There were a few bolts that were testing my patience.

Warren
Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Warren you say you had to reposition your o2 sensors did you just cut out the fitting and shift it around the side and patch the hole up in the top?
Cheers Mark
Old 12-21-2008, 11:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Warren whats the go with the step in the Chassis underneath? Doesn't look real tidy are they all like this?
Old 12-22-2008, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark

I removed the sensor socket and blanked off the hole. The centre of new hole was about 15mm from the centre of the existing hole towards the centre of the car. If they are moved too far around the length(or lack of) of the sensor cable could be an issue.

If you look at the chassis rail offset you will see the front rails line up with the front suspension mounting points and the rear ones line up with the rear suspension frame mounting points.

Do you know about the mod to the heater hoses under the plenum? This is another job I would do with the motor is out of the car.

Warren
Old 12-22-2008, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No warren what has to be done with the heater hoses?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark

The steel heater pipes under the plenum and on the right hand side of the motor are removed and replaced with heater hoses. These hoses will now line up with the hole in the left side of the fire wall where the heater hoses and wiring loom go through.

There is nothing in the instructions about this and when I asked how the heater hoses were run I was told to do this mod. I did it with the motor in the car.

Basically what I did was remove the intake plenum, remove the steel heater pipes, blank off the heater pipe outlet in the steel pipe that runs in front of the alternator, install a new hose fitting in the bottom of the thermostat housing. Run heater hose from this new fitting and the stub behind the waterpump.

I was told another way a couple of days ago which didn't need any mods to the pipe or thermstat housing. A XC falcon heater hose has the right type of bend and length to connect to the original outlet on the steel pipe in front of the alternator to inside the cabin. I don't know if this way will work, but it is worth a try.

I think either of the above ways might be able to be done without removing the plenum with the motor out of the car.

Before starting this, talk to DRB to clarify with them if this is the way they do it.

Warren
Old 12-22-2008, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Warren
Cheers Mark