Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Wink Progress pics - Slowy's rebuild Version 2

Just about ready to hand the car back to Marty G to finish it off and thought I'd post the rebirth pics,

I had the chassis and major suspension parts sand blasted and painted these with Por15.

The rebuild was always a planned event given the age and general poor state of the chassis but the state of the suspension was to be believed. The first owners clearly just sourced jag suspension parts and didn't refurbish at all.

So new ball joints and rubbers, a front set of discs care of Shannons and new rears, and a thorough renewal of the diff has cost some $$$ but I am now confident of what is in this car.

The TKO gearbox should have actually landed and once mated to the 5L, the major mechanicals are almost done I guess.

Have attached a few pics.

This one shows Marty's fully enclosed radiator frame and off to the right the rejuvinated motor with its new ali heads.

I revisited the brake lines and used prefabricated trailer lines as these come in straight sections and bent to suit my needs. Had the old lines to help somewhat and have hidden lines where I could or mounted cleanly this time to improve the look.

Found out my diff is from a Mark 10 Jag ie early 1940's vintage with minor wear but had started to spin a main bearing. Sourcing two new original Timken bearings, the only ones worth using according to my bloke but $200 a pop , I now have a reliable diff. He had first blued the crown and pinion and found the teeth had only average wear and reasonable contact.

He has also put me onto a true fully synthetic oil and after the initial break in on mineral oil has said just fill with synthetic and don't touch the diff for ten years. Interesting advice but given his jaguar background that's what I plan to do. Mind you the oil is $25 a litre I believe so I wont spill a drop.

As I don't want to have to be trying to drop the diff out later, it's all money well spent in my book.

I also corrected the standard RMC / G Force diff mounting issue and squared up the diff on the chassis as I was reassembling too.

And finally this is Marty's Christmas tree. The centre post is standard G Force with the old seat belt mounting holes obvious. The tree arrangement now allows me to mount my retractor in the boot as the test belt shows.

Immediately above the belt on the croass arm is a large hole to permit a bolt to be screwed into the underside of the roll bar hoop. I'm running double hoops and a 3rd leg with its mount visible on the rear frame in the picture above. This was Marty's solution and overcame space availability and gave me what I am after.

I've had all this on a rottiserie from day one, for which I have to thank Martin profusely. I'd recommend them to any new builder as they save a huge amount of hassle accessing any part of the chassis and reduce the contortionist tricks we sometime have to employ.

Anyway looking forward to allowing Marty to get stuck into the remainder and hopefully getting a finished car on the road. But I better not guess when yet!!

Enjoy

Last edited by stephen low; 01-05-2009 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: Size does matter.....evidently!!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Glad everything is going well for you Stephen.

Will make for a much more enjoyable ride for you too. Nothing worse than driving a car you suspect has some problems.

Are you happy with the POR15 ?, I just love the stuff except for when I get it on my skin.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Slowy,

Good progress. Glad to see you are taking the oportunity to make some improvements while youre at it. Can you upload some decent sized pics to your gallery so we can have a good look. Those little thumbnails are too small to see anything.

Cheers

Old 01-04-2009, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Mike

I followed that wonderful sticky to post the pics but used the resize option for the pictures off my computer, I used the largest option but obviously need to go to a custom sizing.

What resize should I aim for to get decent pics.? Once I know what to aim for I'll edit the thread so that people can actually see some detail.

Rebel

I too love this stuff though I wonder if I shouldn't have had the chassis sprayed in a booth. Anyway I'm just after a presentable car not a show pony so that will have to do.

I always use disposable gloves with this paint and have still managed the odd splot that's taken weeks to come off!

Cheers
Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Gloves

Slowly,

Good to see you are making progress.

I am sure Marty will be glad to see you in his workshop again

You better check if there is room, last time I was there he looked quite full..

At least Shannons have reduced some of the financial strain on the rebuild, that will please you no end I am sure

STIFFY

P.S. I am out of gloves do you have any spare
Old 01-04-2009, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

What is por15?.... I powder coated my chassis but if was doing it next time I would just use a good 2 pack paint but sand blast it first.. Powdercoat has a habit of dulling off after a while where two pack keeps its nice gloss
Cheers Mark
Old 01-04-2009, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Mark, POR15 is a very hard, very glossy, easy to apply, single pack rust prevention system.

It cures to a finish not unlike powder coat even if brushed. I prefer it over powder coat as I can repair any damage to the surface or if I weld to the chassis I can recoat the area.

see here: http://www.ppc.au.com/prevention.htm
Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
What resize should I aim for to get decent pics.?
the size represents one pixel on your screen - ie 600 x 400 is 600 x 400 pixels. My screen is a wxga which is 1280 x 800, so a 600 x 400 pic will about 1/4 fill it. That should be a decent start and not too large a file.

Cheers

Last edited by Tenrocca; 01-04-2009 at 03:21 PM..
Old 01-04-2009, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stiff

Had noted Marty's shed is booming but as Shannons wont pay out on expenditure till complete, I'm confident Marty will not only find a spot for my car but that it may elevate in job priority too.

As to those gloves are they for you to hold the ultra cold cans to pass to your workers?? The only gloves I have are for the work in the garden!!

Mark

The por 15 paint is very self levelling so you can get an excellent finish even off a brush but it is still best done in a booth so you may as well spray, hence my comment.

Tenrocca

Thanks for the feedback, with luck I'll edit this thread tonight so you can see more detail in the pictures.

Cheers
Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kenmer
Not Ranked     

Slowy,
I'm sure your car will be a priority once Dougs,Gregs,and my car is finished. ha ha.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jees Benny that puts me down for driving in about 2 -3 years then (cause its half finished) - No? - lol (sorry Marty).

The way money is not going around at present, what has been paid for to this point, and not yet refunded by Shannon's will put pressure there to get the car to sign off stage.

Anyway the Tower Court shed for the criminally insane needs another vehicular installment just for fun!!

Cheerio
Old 01-05-2009, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kenmer with Ford Quad Cam Boss 260
Not Ranked     

Slowy
I have to agree with Benny. Your car will be a priority. Just not No.1

Cheers, Doug
Old 01-05-2009, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now now boys did I say a number? Seems I might have started a bun fight in the OK Tea rooms?? Sorry guys the comment was meant to be more tongue in cheek than it reads.

I know you're both itching to progress too and I am happy to just join the queue but the realities of business finance I suspect will drive the process somewhat.

Either way Marty's got probably at least 8 hours more a day he can concentrate on the car than I can so it's going to move forward more quickly in his shed than mine.

Cheers
Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the bigger pics Stephen

Your re-plumbing job is looking really nice - decided on a yellow yet?

LoBelly
Old 01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Great stuff Stephen, Thanks for posting the bigger pics.

Cheers

Old 01-05-2009, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Great progress Slowy. Don't forget there's also a certain Harrison in Marty's shed with engine/gearbox waiting for a crossmember to be made up! I'll be down there on Saturday if anyone's in the area.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Making space

Paul

Was that the same one pushed out in the street with a "for sale...cheep" sign affixed, when I visited this morning??

Marty was muttering something about cat swinging room at the time too.

But Marty did indicate that in a week he will have two vacant spots, so not sure whose car is going where but that's the cue for me to move into one of these vacated locations - gees take a number like a Safeway deli!!

Now that I'm trained up I'll ensure I post bigger pictures in future. It does make the viewing so much better - thanks for the kick in the pants Mike.

And Michael it's always been Rapid Yellow but with a stripe, but you'll just have to wait to see this what colour the stripe is.

Cheers
Old 01-05-2009, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

I'm not biting Slowy.

But if you have any taste it will be a BLACK stripe. GO TIGERS!!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ahhhhh just love the rivalry and banter.

Was a time when that happened between states .... mainly Gods country and any other state.

Good to see the Victorians goin at it between themselves.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates in-work again
Not Ranked     

The rabbit never won the race! Consistence is the name of the game. Looks great,, so your main goal is to complete, when? I have been at this for over 12 years because there is something in that garage calling my name,, "help me, come fix me" almost every night.