Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Merv, this bloke doesn't have the moulds, he makes them bespoke. I'll be dropping my car down there for a set after I've sorted out a few other things.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
Where do these carbon fibre sheets come from? What type and thickness is best to mould to the quite complex shape of the Harrison? Are there better materials, e.g., plastics?
These came from Factory Five and with just a tad of trimming fit my Lone Star very well. They're about 1/16" thick and are real carbon fiber. I don't think FFR sells them anymore though, just a peel 'n stick version...
Old 02-06-2012, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Thanks Undy. I will check them out. Also Paul, see what he wants for that time on the English Wheel (?). I have a good upholsterer here and may still go the way of PVC ones with a felt backing (like those posted earlier with a wire edge and lift-a-dot clips top and bottom). Leather is not as good as it hardens and stretches in sun and rain.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Just did this yesterday. For me the leather and CF doesn't work. I'd really like a pair of stainless spats but popping down to the local metal fabricator just ain't gonna happen where I live. After the last open track session with nice sticky tires my quarters were taking a beating and I decided to try Dupli-Color's rubberized undercoating to stop that problem. It was quite easy to use, goes on fairly thick without much over spray and it works for me aesthetically on my black car. It is paintable so others may have similar results on other colors. I'll have to wait for the next track session to report back on durability.

Last edited by lovehamr; 02-14-2012 at 07:14 AM..
Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Hey Merv, I think you mentioned you already have the clear film SPATs. Are they not effective for you or are you going for a certain type of look? I have the clear film ones from Ozishield and they work a treat.

Cheers Gregg
Old 02-14-2012, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Neat work with the Dupli-Color rubberised undercoating. It suits your car as well. Yes Gregg I have had the Ozishield on for almost 3 years and while it pits a bit and does not look as good now as it did originally, it has been effective. The side pipes also take a lot of the stones now. However, I still like the vinyl ones like those of Craig (his are leather I think). The Ozishield can be tricky to remove after time as it can take the paint with it.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Lovehamr, your spats look terrific, I reckon they would look good on any other colour as well.

Regards.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

3M make a new type of "covering" that looks like carbon fibre, brushed steel.etc. At the last motor show I went to they had a BMW covered in a flat black and dark grey carbon fibre finish...that looked pretty good....the whole car was a bit of overkill but it still looked good. There's a local window tinter here that handles it so I reckon that it's available at most tinters.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Lovehmr, your spats look great. Have you (or anyone else) used Dupli-Color's rubberized undercoating in their wheel wells? Mine are painted but not really with anything like this product?

cheers Gregg
Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

ah wheel wells....I was thinking about this recently as another thing on the "to-do" list. I was hinking of neoprene or rubber, but worry about it coming off no matter what glue I use...

Dupli-Color BedArmor looks like good stuff, might check it out.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I purchased some 'Ute-Tray-Liner' and put that under the guards...good stuff. It's blue to match the body colour too (not a match at all but it is blue) It feels real rubbery. You know that smooth, squeaky, drag feel and dirt just rinses off. so far so good !
Old 02-17-2012, 04:37 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Gregg, that's actually where I got the idea to try and use the Dupli-Color as a spat. I read on one of these forums about another guy using it in his wheel wells and that's what tripped my trigger, so to speak. I remember also that he hadn't commented on the durability yet because he didn't have very many miles on it. But it has to be better than fiberglass or paint in that dept.

Steve
Old 02-17-2012, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Gregg, that's actually where I got the idea to try and use the Dupli-Color as a spat. I read on one of these forums about another guy using it in his wheel wells and that's what tripped my trigger, so to speak. I remember also that he hadn't commented on the durability yet because he didn't have very many miles on it. But it has to be better than fiberglass or paint in that dept.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I might give it a whirl. cheers Gregg

P.S. I have to say, I luv your Avatar - its (I mean they) are a bit mismerising
Old 03-01-2012, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I gave up on the stick-ons and the stainless ones are no longer available for the Harrisons and my trimmer made these up. They fit really well and are UV tough vinyl, foam backed and a felt inner. Raised lift-a-dot at the top, so tonneau can be fitted at the same time. Took him a few hours to get it right but they were very cheap in the end and they are quick to remove for washing.

Inside:

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Merv, they look great.

I have had vinyl/leather style spats on the last few Cobra's.

I've attached a photo of the leather spats I got made for our previous Cobra.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Strangely enough Craig, that was the photo that I gave to the trimmer! Many thanks.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Looks great Merv, top job.

Regards.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mando. Unfortunately every body shape is that little bit different and it takes a skilled trimmer to get it right. I wanted leather but he talked me out of that as the sun dries it out.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Merv, glad the photo helped.

I reckon Vinyl will be more robust as well.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Merv, how do you attach it to the underside of the wheelwell?