Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Heater and scoop

Hi Fellas

A few questions if you will.

I'm pondering whether to put a heater in my car. Harrison no longer uses heat only a marine blower. Anyone not fitted one up here in Nthn NSW or Qld and regretted it? There's a few heaters around I think, do they need complicated valves to open/close water flow or is the flow continuous so do you just turn on the fan in the unit and warm air flows into the cockpit when needed?

I'm fiddling with fitting locks to doors and boot, all was going well until I moved to the bonnet which has not been fitted since the Windsor went in. The intake plenm and throttle body are offset to the drivers side so far that the cut out & scoop, which is yet to be fitted, won't allow the bonnet to be closed if positioned in the middle.
Any one else had this problem? Looking at later Harrisons', the engine sits lower in the chassis than mine and maybe this may not be an issue.

Greg
Greg
Old 04-03-2009, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     
Wink Scuba tanks maybe

Hi Greg
Mate I live in Canberra and didn't install a heater. I could not see the point and rego said as long as I did not put a roof on it, ADR whatever says it is a roadster and does not require a heater/demister system. I think you guys living on the north coast need to worry about waterproofing more than heater and such!
Cheers
Brett
Old 04-03-2009, 02:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

What engine mounts are you using Greg?

I was pointed at quite early, XY I think, mounts but then I had original AU mounts that were horribly tall.

Also the AU variant 302 needs continous flow in the water pipe loop for a sensor so this is done pre-heater so that if you want to switch off hot water you can and avoid continuous radiant heat into the cockpit.

And who knows you might want to make a trip into Canberra where you always need a heater or even Melbourne on an off day!

Cheers
Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I didn't fit a heater Greg. My engine mounts are quite low and I got them from Aussie Muscle Cars as I recall. The engine does sit low.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

A heater in a Cobra... I think Chopper has some advice on the subject

Old 04-03-2009, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the heater advise Chopper.....I'm not game to fit one now! Maybe a rug over the knees.

Yeah BJ, how's 20" of rain in a couple of days sound. That'd wash Canberra away

Re the mounts.......I've no idea what model they're off, I just asked for Ford mounts at Repco, I didn't know there is different heights available. Looking at them they have about 3" of rubber between the steel bolt-through flanges that fix to the block and chassis. Does that sound higher than yours Merv? It may be Warwick has changed the chassis since mine as well me thinks.
The other drama is if I fit newies I'll prob need to remake the gearbox mounts which were a right pain in the arse.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Greg

I originally had mounts for the LS2 series but when the desire for an original-type Ford struck, I had those cut off and the engine mounts from Aussie Muscle Parts (http://www.australianmuscleparts.com.au/ ) fitted and then I lowered the motor in! Warwick seemed to think that they were the right ones.

I could try to find the parts numbers this weekend.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ROBNELL
Not Ranked     

How many cupholders are u putting in ??
Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #95, 302 HO
Not Ranked     

Greg,

I have a late Harrison with 302 HO. These are my engine and gearbox mounts for what its worth. I got them from Warrick.

Cheers Bob
Old 04-04-2009, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Ive got the same engine mounts on my 302, they are very early Ford mounts.

Regards.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Yes those are the early mounts I was talking about, though looking up evilbay they are described as suiting XR-XE & ZA-ZK V8 cars.

I think there may be any alternate that has two bolts facing down to lock the mounts to the chassis but those aren't generally used in the cobra to my knowledge.

If getting these and modding your gearbox mount does the trick, just bite the bullet and your tongue and do the job so that you dont have to worry about the engine bay fit.

Obviously too if they lower your engine and gearbox, it will help with the car's handling, these being some of the major weight components, and for this reason alone it would be worth the extra effort.

Cheers
Old 04-04-2009, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Love the Chopper Reid vid Mike. Maybe we should start a list of "delete options" for Cobras? All the things we can really do without so as to fully enjoy that basic experience:

cupholders
stereos
footwell lights
heaters
passengers...
??

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again fellas, specially pics from Bob.

It looks like my mounts are the same, bit hard to guess the height of Bobs with a pic but mine are about 110mm from middle of tube to engine block mount face. Does this sound anything like yours?

I hear you Stephen but lowering creates more issues than just the gearbox mount as the main pulley on the crankshaft sits around 2mm directly above the front cross-member, so the whole engine needs to to also move back about 50mm to clear this. Plus I've got around a 3 degree angle on the drive shaft (the nissan rear end is higher than the box output shaft) and I reccon that by dropping the engine more that this angle will increase beyond the recommended angle.

Out of curiosity how big is the cutout in the bonnet when fitting the scoop, as my car wasn't supplied with one. Warwick tells me that all his cars come with scoops, mine's disappeared with the last owner apparently.

Greg
Old 04-05-2009, 12:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #95, 302 HO
Not Ranked     

Greg,

Middle of tube to engine block mount face is 85mm on mine. This is a vertical dimension from horizontal face that bolts to block and centreline of tube. I can post a sketch if this is confusing.

Thanks Bob
Old 04-05-2009, 02:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncobra View Post
Out of curiosity how big is the cutout in the bonnet when fitting the scoop, as my car wasn't supplied with one. Warwick tells me that all his cars come with scoops, mine's disappeared with the last owner apparently.
Greg,

Have attached some images of my bonnet scoop for your reference. Hope it helps.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers
Old 04-05-2009, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greg, Warwick has a template for that I believe. I kept my scoop separate and attached it with SS "rivets" (in gallery).

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys

It does look like your mounts are an inch or so shorter, I may be able to give thought to grinding a bit out of the crossmember as one other guy had to do according to a past post. Perhaps this is to much of a hassle to just gain 25mm.

Bob, that cutout of yours is too small to accommodate my throttle body, maybe I'll just fabricate a larger scoop.

Greg
Old 04-05-2009, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greg, perhaps you could use (borrow from Warwick) an existing scoop and build it up as a buck and make glassfibre mould over that? Also and external/screwed on fitting may be easier.

merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 1999, 302w
Not Ranked     

I'd give the heater a miss and install some heated seats instead. I live on the Sunshine (haven't had much sunshine tho...!) and they are perfect with the chillier evenings. Works like a treat - you can keep the roof off but keep the bum warm! Very easy to install and will fit any seat type.
Cheers
Dave
Old 04-06-2009, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good idea Dave. What is the product called?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: