Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-03-2009, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default Front Number Plate Mounting Position?

I have the chrome, oval front bumper bar to fit on my RMC and have noticed that the majority of Cobras have their front number plate mounted on the bottom of that bumper. In the majority of cases, that number plate is mounted directly in front of the Oil Cooler which in turn is mounted behind the small lower opening in the front of the body. In the normal set-up, that Oil Cooler is connected to the Engine, but in my situation where maximum cooling to the gearbox is essential, the Oil Cooler will be connected to my
6L80E Tiptronic Transmission.

My question is:- Has anyone who has their number plate mounted directly in front of the Oil Cooler found that it interferes with the air flow to that Cooler?

I have the thin black number plates with the gold lettering (COB-600) in storage with the RTA and was thinking of mounting the front plate on the top of the chrome, oval front bumper when I finally get it registered, hopefully before the Nationals. Has anyone ever seen a Cobra with its front number plate mounted in that position and did it present an acceptable appearance?

Baz
Old 06-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

Original street cars have a spring loaded plate attached to the lower portion of the oval bumper. It folds down at fairly low speeds into the oval. I attached a couple of pictures. If you run search on front license plates you will find a lot of information on different mounting options.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Baz,
I have my engine oil cooler mounted in the traditional opening and the number plate in front of it for street work as the oil temp is not a problem as I drive like a pensioner on the street. On the track however its a different thing and you need all the air possible to maintain resonable oil temps.

If you are thinkinking of just using this opening for the auto cooler I think it is way too small. A much larger cooler is rerquired for the auto and it should be mounted in front of the radiator so its available all the time and gets fan assist when in traffic. Well at least that is what I will be doing.

Check out the TCI site for more info.

Regards,
Phil
Old 06-03-2009, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Set it back off the bumper

Baz

I was, and will be running again, the same style of cooler located in the lower opening I didn't want to interfere with air flows at all to this small cooler.

So a made a rego plate holder that sat the plate at an angle in front of the base of the radiator within the larger nose opening. I angled it to lessen the air dam effect but to still retain some visibility.

My thinking was that the radiator was so much larger, that there would be less impact. In fact I think the car ran cool for the short period it was operable anyway and I didn't have any issues in this regard.

I'd love to have a spring loaded version hanging from the top of the opening that swings back and upwards with forward car movement for no air impact and low photographic opportunity but it wont happen.

See the pic below for what I had and will return to.

Cheers

Steve
Old 06-03-2009, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

I used a boat trailer license plate holder and mounted it behind the turn signal light.
Attached Images

FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I made a bracket for the nose which allows the 'plate to be raised or lowered. Should not overly obstruct either radiator or oil cooler aperture.

May not suit if you also have the chrome oval attached to your bumpers.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Baz
I have my trans cooler in that lower portion of the 'fish mouth' and have not had any temperature related problems even on track days.
Mine is an 'Earls' cooler which is loads thicker than a standard trans cooler.
The question is are you running a stall converter? If yes, the stall will increase the heat in the box due to slippage and a more cooling will be required.
If you are concerned you could fit a second cooler on the back of the radiator in series with the one in front.

There are a couple of pics of mine in my gallery.

Last edited by Gav; 06-04-2009 at 12:32 AM..
Old 06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure if this'll help...
but do your personalized plates come in "Slim Line"?

I've got these new plates for the one being built, they're pretty low profile...

and they allow slimline plates both front and rear now.

Thought it might be of some help.

Cheers,

Warren.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Not Ranked     

Hi Baz,

I had a small stainless steel mounting bracket (about 3 mm thick, 200 mm long, and 12 mm high with 2 threaded holes at each end to line up with the licence plate holes) welded onto the underside of the lower bar of the oval front bumper that essentially positions a slim-line licence plate in front of the oil cooler.

The licence plate is mounted onto the mounting bracket with 2 "Allen-head" screws.

This works just fine for me for street use and if I want to do some track work, the plate is very easily removed to maximise air flow.

Regards.....Paul
Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

I'm surprised front plates don't fall off after rego. Put it under your floor mat and tell the orificer it fell off 10 mins ago and you are heading home to weld it back on.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison supercharged
Send a message via MSN to hsv300 Send a message via Skype™ to hsv300
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
I'm surprised front plates don't fall off after rego. Put it under your floor mat and tell the orificer it fell off 10 mins ago and you are heading home to weld it back on.
Thats what I'm doing guess you are to Sambo
Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

No, I just keep hearing about all these things falling off! I like the side mounted approach on a custom bracket... don't want to give them any excuses to pull me over and spoil my fun.

If you use the correct size/font, is it legal to print the rego numbers on an adhesive sticker/decal that you can put on the nose?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB. Engine out :)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
That doesn't work, trust me
Old 06-04-2009, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison supercharged
Send a message via MSN to hsv300 Send a message via Skype™ to hsv300
Not Ranked     

I might have been lucky but had a WRX for 4 years sometime ago and never had a front plate on it and never got pulled up for it either
Old 06-04-2009, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
No, I just keep hearing about all these things falling off! I like the side mounted approach on a custom bracket... don't want to give them any excuses to pull me over and spoil my fun.

If you use the correct size/font, is it legal to print the rego numbers on an adhesive sticker/decal that you can put on the nose?
Sambo.

Not in NSW mate.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms427 View Post
Original street cars have a spring loaded plate attached to the lower portion of the oval bumper. It folds down at fairly low speeds into the oval. I attached a couple of pictures. If you run search on front license plates you will find a lot of information on different mounting options.
Thanks rms427

Have you any information where I can purchase one of those spring loaded brackets.(Email address or Web Site)? I really like the concept.

Baz
Old 06-05-2009, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I built a hinged lay down number plate mount that stood up as soon as I slowed down or stopped. I thought that this would stop any turbulance in front of the radiator and be "cool" as well. In NSW the fine for an 'Obscured Number Plate' is $308.00 bux and three points lost. The regulations require the plate must be visible & identifiable from a distance of 20 mtrs and not only from right behind the car bit from a 45 deg. angle as well. ( the speed camera doesn't pan )The article was written by a local cop and referred mainly to the rear plate and it's obstruction by tow bars & bike racks. I have read on this forum that others have been stung for poor visibility front plates. I intend to follow this up in the ADR's...Be warned, 3 points are a lot and take 3 years to get back !
$300 odd bux isn't a sum to be sneezed at either.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Decision made.

My front plate is slimline and I have decided to mount it as high as possible directly onto the centre lower portion of the chromed nose oval. I have a shrouded main fan on the inside of the radiator and two exposed thermo fans in front. I don't think the number plate will interfere with the air flow to my radiator in any way.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance in this matter.

Baz

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: