Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default More progress pics & a question

Hey All

The rebuild is still moving along slowly and the reshuffle of the various bits at the front of the motor is nearly done.

Have had Marty move alternator to passenger side, the coil packs are bolted to the firewall behind the motor, the support for the new tensioner is almost done.

This work has now all allowed the standard Ford thermostat housing and radiator hose attachment but now with a radiator cap attachment to be fitted back onto the motor. I can't recall who I owe a beer for this wonderful fitting....don't all put your hands up at once!!!

Anyway listening to advice and knowing some bits are medium term duration I've had the standard plenum polished for a bit of bling whilst I work out my real intake manifold arrangements.

Again through my hot rod mate, he put me onto his polisher and I'm very happy with the result as follows:

Front view

Rear face view

Overall vision

My question however relates to the drab standard rocker covers on the AU as I'd like to instal a pair of the finned alloy covers stamped "Cobra Powered by Ford".

I'd look to get a pair with the black infill paint and think this might nicely offset the rear view look of the plenum's polished and unpolished segments.

I know I need to be careful about the height of these to get under the plenum on the driver's side, question is does anyone know the right version to buy?

Better still does anyone have a pair of these covers to suit that they want to sell? Let me know please.

Enjoy the pics.

Cheers

Steve
Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC 302 Windsor Supra 5 speed Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     

WOW , That's nice work, I didn't think that you could turn the ugly AU casting into something as good as you have. I also have an AU engine and will be interested to hear if there is a replacement for the very ordinary rocker covers, as a last resort you could always get them chrome plated.
Ross
Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default shinny

Slowly,

That looks great, best I have seen.

So you are wanting to redo the induction at a later date??? When? what type are you thinking??? It seems a waste of money to bling things that will eventually be removed in the future. Just dont open the bonnet
Old 06-23-2009, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Big improvement Slowy! Will it need regular polishing?
Old 06-24-2009, 01:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.

Ross

You can buy polished variants of these from the States I believe but yes it has transformed the drab into a bit of a centre piece.

Stuffy

I'm looking ultimatley to go to an injected carby style manifold with traditional oval filter atop. Plus mild cam and aftermarket ECU, much like Rob Sandler's engine.....hmmmmmm nice. Just want a mild performing and more traditional looking finished donk.

Sambo

Not sure about the polish, we'll see!

But can anyone help on the rocker cover model and height issues now for both Ross and I?

Cheers
Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Slowy, here ya go:http://www.cobranda.com/28vaco.html

bluddy fords!
Old 06-24-2009, 02:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rebel

Thanks for the link but I already have a few options in this respect but no info as to what covers will actually fit the car.

Am chasing the right info and then I can progress from there.

Ta
Old 06-24-2009, 02:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Exactly my point Slowy.
Send Branda an email asking for his suggestions.
He has been around a loooooooong time.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Welcome back Les ... Not much has happened.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Merv, Good to be back.
Of course nothing happened Merv, I wasn't around to stir the place.

Give me a call tomorrow if you are free Merv. We can have a chat about hardtops.

Cheers
Les
Old 06-24-2009, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So how do I relate an AU motor to him, what year mustangs does this equate to?

That's always been my drama talking to the yanks.

If he's been around that long he may know.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I think we are all interested in this one - at least those of us with Ford Cobras. I bought some that were wrong and had to be returned. How many EFI variants of valve covers are there?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Slowy, Branda is a major manufacturer of a range of tappet covers. Send him a pic of your intake and he will recognize the motor you have.

Then tell him if you want to run roller rockers with that intake or if you will in future with the new intake.

He also sells a range of spacers for exactly that purpose .... ie. short tappet covers off the EFI engines and then wanting to run rollers at some time in the future...he has the spacer you want.

Cheers
Les
Old 06-24-2009, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For those interested, feedback from Branda was that only their tall cobra covers developed for EFI motors would suit.

This is item number VC24I, a natural finished aluminium cover with the open letter design. Definitely an improvement over the standard covers but IMHO boring in terms of the general range out there.

I can't believe there aren't covers out there to suit the motor and in the black krinkle finish style I'd like to use.

So the request again guys, as it seems I'm not the only one looking for this:

Does anyone know of a source that can provide covers for an efi & roller rocker 302 engine in the black krinkle finish?

Any and all leads wanted.

Cheers
Old 06-24-2009, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Slowy, might be worth widening the net a bit more... maybe just get them plain/unfinished and get some VHT "wrinkle" paint.

VHT Wrinkle Plus

"VHT Wrinkle Plus duplicates the OEM match finish for many factory muscle cars. It is 350ºF (176ºC) heat resistant and resists colour fading, grease, degreasers and severe weather conditions. This tough durable finish is extremely resistant to rust, corrosion, chipping and cracking."

Sambo
Old 06-24-2009, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

slowy,
i used these, http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=6139

you will need to remove a tab type thingy (excuse the technical term)on the inside when using roller rockers.
there are black ones as well http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=1140
Old 06-26-2009, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Hi Steve,
I guess you're after covers like that found on a T3 Tickford 5.6 Windor?
Like anything Tickford, FPV or HSV, if they are available they'll be way overpriced. Eg a T3 plastic engine cover was $2000!!!! Plus you need a Tickford VIN for them to deal with you.....

You might have better luck using a wrinkle paint yourself.

Cheers
Al

Just re-read this thread and I think I've mis read what coves you actually want. One of mate's cobra has roller rockers and the covers you're after. I'll ask him and get back to you.

Last edited by NASSTY; 06-26-2009 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 06-26-2009, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually Al with all the hassle of achieving what I need, I'm actually already looking to whip off the covers and simply get them powder coated black like you have shown.

For my engine the advice at this time suggests you have to space out the plenum to get covers that fit the rockers to then fit beneath the plenum. These covers are approx $310 a pair to start with.

At least your pic has given me an indication of the look - thanks for that! happy to hear from your mate though.

But I reckon you should get that tricky plenum polished too for the bling factor!

Cheers

Steve
Old 06-26-2009, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Steve,

My mate used the standard ribbed cover you're after (originally with a gt40 intake manifold). His has Ford Power on them but they were available woth cobra as well. To make them fit he had to do two things. On the inside of the cover there are casting "pins" that he machined off which the gave the clearance for the roller rockers and to fit the AU cover gasket, he machined of the lip/step around the base of the cover which fits over the head.

These covers weren't anything special to fit roller rockers he just modded them to suit.
Hope that helps

Al
Old 06-30-2009, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok for those interested in the cover research outcome.

It seems you can't just buy and fit the finned "cobra powered by ford" covers like I want. Some polished alloy versions and ford racing types will fit, and I presume other variations, but care is needed regarding the oil filler location.

The alternates are not what I want so am going the same look as Nassty has posted and what Marty has on his car, a stippled textured finish in black powder coat.

When I change induction, I'll add the cover change to the list at that time.

Hope this helps the rest of you considering the change.

Cheers