Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Buying A NEW Cobra. Rough Guide to $

Hi all, can anyone please give me a rough guide as to what it now costs to buy a street registered Cobra from the local manufaturers like Harrison, DRB and RMC etc?

Just generic motor, wheels, interior bla bla bla. I know it all varies as to what spec but I'm just looking for a ball park price.

If I walk into Warwicks shop and said here's X $'s I'll pick the car up in 6 - 9 months... I know technically you can't do that but I'm chasing ball parks.

50K, 100K, 150K etc etc

Thanks heaps Spookypt
Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Interesting question Spooky.

Warwick should give you a pretty close answer. Also Baz is in the final stage of his RMC build by Neil Streeting.

I'm gonna take a guess at $130,000 drive away with a new engine ... like a LS3 chev.

Bet I'm way off the mark tho.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

About 100,000 I believe with above spec. Ask Warwick or send a PM to Krait.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Classic Revival quote $123K for a turn key car on the web page.

Cheers

Old 07-06-2009, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

All of the Cobras I've seen finished off "properly" in the last 2 years have all had over $100,000 spent.

Keeping in mind that many builders will forget many of the real costs in building...

If they were to write down EVERY dollar spent...it can add up pretty quickly.

I'm in the middle of one at the moment, and the first $50,000 went like fat through a goose !!

With engine and gear box using up $30,000 it won't be a budget build, but you get what you pay for I guess.

I think a basic rolling chassis will cost you around $25,000 / $30,000....and that's very much the "Starting Point"......

THEN....

after that , it will very much depend on

1. How much you can do yourself.

Keeping in mind that just because you sometimes think you'll save money by doing a lot of the work yourself, unless you can do a top job, it could be wasted effort.

I've also seen a number of "finished" cars that were just wrong, and I think that if they were wanting to ever sell the car in the future, the money they thought they were saving on the build, will also be missing from the sale price.

I would LOVE to have the confidence and the skill to hand build my own car from the ground up, and I'm sure it would give a great deal of pleasure if it could result in a really nice finished product, but I know that if I tried to do a lot of these things, I'd end up with a $hitbox.

I really envy those out there that have the real skill to do it right.....

but as for my build....my input is unfortunately limited to making the decisions on all of the components/ paint / interior design / trim / wheels / etc. etc., and hoping those craftsmen that I pay to do the jobs are the right ones.

2. The "You get what you pay for" factor will also come into play.

Although this can be where some hours spent on the internet, and asking everyone in the know, will save big bucks on quality items, it's very easy to spend a LOT of money on engine/gearbox/suspension/brakes.

In the end, it all depends on what you want to end up with.

A lot of builders think that their 200 hp cruiser, with reconditioned everything, small brakes, home made interior and cheap tyres should be compared evenly with those Cobras where the big ticket items have been put together in the right package.

BOTH are the right way to go, depending on what you are wanting to achieve, but in most cases there will be a huge difference in their resale value.

How many times have you had some Goose come up to you and tell you that he could get "one of these" for only $30,000.....

If he could, it would be worth what he paid for it....
i.e.
The $30,000 is usually very much the starting point for some serious whip being spent to bring it up to the standard that they want.

In answer to your question Spook...

Somewhere between $65,000 and $135,000 should cover it !!

Not much help ....right !!???

Cheers,

Warren.

Last edited by Wazza; 07-06-2009 at 09:46 PM..
Old 07-06-2009, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Car Costs

Spookypt,

I totally agree with Wazza...........

I have been keeping a pretty close eye on the Daytona build to date and here are the basics. ( I think as its a nearly one off build there are a few things that have cost a bit more than a cobra but most of teh stuff is generic)

Body/Chassis $22000
Engine/Box $15000
Wheels $4000
Tyres $1300
Radiator $1000
Fuel Tank $1000
Wiring $5000
Instruments $1300
Seats $2000
Shocks/Springs $3000
Brakes $1000
Engineer $1500
Interior $3000
Paint $10000
Exhaust $4000

To name a few major parts, plus the time sourcing them, fitting them and this is just to get it to rego stage. Then the fun starts to add the bling and customise the car. Its been well documented on this site my lack of driving and mechanical ability (thanks friends ) but when you spend every Saturday and some holidays (I am sick of Thailand ) doing what you can to the car but watching what goes into actually building them, it gives you an appreciation of the people that can do it themselves or the cost involved when someone says give me $120k and come back in 9-12 Months.

STIFFY
Old 07-06-2009, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Stiffy, that's DAYTONA prices. Should've told them it was a plain old Cobra roadster... would've saved a packet!

In my opinion there's much more intrinsic value in a brand new, finished car that you can just drive away. While the cost of parts and labour for a basic turn key might be in the vacinity of 70-80k, you pay a premium for not having to go through the heart ache of engineering, compliance, pits, VIN, etc, etc. Just sign the cheque and drive away.

Last edited by sambo; 07-07-2009 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: Added smiley faces for Stiffy
Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Interesting question Spooky.

Warwick should give you a pretty close answer. Also Baz is in the final stage of his RMC build by Neil Streeting.

I'm gonna take a guess at $130,000 drive away with a new engine ... like a LS3 chev.

Bet I'm way off the mark tho.
Les,

Have you got access to my Bank Statements? Man you are so close it's not funny. But then again, I haven't skimped on anything either.

Baz
Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Arthur v Marther!

Thanks everyone for their responses... I'd have thought lets say 100K for a good all round build. Certainly more $'s can be spec'd up on that easily when it comes to engine mods, brakes, computer etc etc etc...

I then ask the question? Does these mean once you recieved the keys and drive it away...it's increased in value or decreased????

I'm confused as the cars value? I guess it all comes back to its worth what someone is prepared to pay and what your prepared to accept!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Ford 4.6 DOHC, 5 speed gearbox
Not Ranked     

Spookypt

I have just recently had my Harrison delivered by warwick and registered in April 2009. warwick built the entire car with me supplying the engine & gearbox (2003 2004 Mach 1 Mustang 4.6 quad cam & Tremec 5 speed gearbox), wheels (Vintage wheels) & tyres(Falken 456), wiring, paint job, upholstery, Ford computer override board & hot tune and gauges(Autometer). I kept a very accurate spreadsheet on the costs. The car came in at $107,000. This did not include freight to Townsville ($2000 in covered truck), Engineering ($1320 Ray Cross), Registration, TPI & stamp duty ($3695 that was valuing the car at $65,000 for stamp duty purposes) or comprehensive insurance ($1200 for full value of car at $107,000). Approx 2 years at Warricks shop in construction, 4 airfares and accomodation to fly down and see it as well as attend club breakfasts.

If you are interested, I am more than happy to send you the spreadsheet. you would just need to wipe the costs out and put your own in as they occur or put them alongside for comparison.

I went down this road as I have been wanting a cobra for over 30 years and for one reason or another I never acually got around to starting it. It became a matter of buy one this way or not get one as I am just too busy at work.

As much as I would have really enjoyed the building of it myself (I'm a mechanical engineer and have a full engineering workshop) I worked out that if I spent the same time in my business as it would take me to build the car, I could make much more money out of my business than what the car would cost to have built. The best part is that I now have the car and am really enjoying myself driving it around as against looking down the barrel of a couple of years still building it. The way my work life goes I would be still building it when I retired.

Hope this has helped

Col Hodson
Old 07-07-2009, 12:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Very interesting Col. What is the rate of stamp duty in QLD now?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default T'ville!

Thanks Col. I appreciate your feedback on that...
Your car is exactly my interpretation of what I was chasing an opinion on. So lets say rounding up $110K for a beautiful classic classy beast!
Now just for argument... Lets add some TB's and some more bling and an aftermarket ECU's and a few other go fast bits...... We are bearing down on $125K big ones!

And I reckon they are worth every cent! Thanks everyone!

Info all taken on board.

SpookypT
Old 07-07-2009, 02:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Not Ranked     

Hi Spooky,

My Superformance was registered last November, so my handle on prices should not be that far out of date... After going through the process, I think that you could have a SPF turn key for somewhere between $110k - $150k assuming you went with all new gear. With the range of good crate motor/transmission options somewhere between $10k & $40k, it's not surprising that the biggest dependency will be engine/transmission choice and what "bling" options you wanted!

Regards....Paul
Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv & Sharon
bit of an interesting story there. When \Ii pulled up to the DOT for registration, the inspector and three of the office girls were outside having smoko. Two of the girls asked if they could sit in the car and take a couple of photos for their husbands. I, of course obliged quickly wanting a good go through with registration. After I had the inspection, which went through very easily I went inside to pay. when asked the value of the car I wasn't thinking (just happy that I had got through) and told the girl $107,000 where upon she suggested that it would be much closer to $65,000 and it wouldn't right to overpay the govt. It just goes to show, be nice, friendly and obliging and things seem to go easily.

On another note, I rang for an appointment for registration and had I been in town could have been booked in the next day. due to work commitments I couldn't bring the car in for inspection for three weeks and they were able to give me an appointment for that time frame. Maybe you should bring the car to Townsville. The inspector was most helpful as well as the office girls. I really had an easy time and can't complain about the inspector at all.

I even borrowed a set of dealer plates for the drive to registration and they didn't have any problems at all (I asked prior).

Regards

Colin
Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default cars

SAMBO,

Quote:
Stiffy, that's DAYTONA prices. Should've told them it was a plain old Cobra roadster... would've saved a packet!
A Daytona is JUST A COBRA so the prices for the parts remain the same.....If you want good parts thats what they cost.

Some things you do to your car only need to be done once, most times by a pro, wiring, paint, wheels, tyres, headers, guages, seats and so on. Recognise these things and pay the money ONCE.

I see alot of people modifying their engine, heads here, CAM later, induction later, stroking later and so on, they should just save a bit more money and do it all at once. If they add up all the money they have spent on minor/temp mods they would be mortified at the cost.

There are also people that buy parts that are years away from being utalised. Like people that buy battery chargers before they have a drive shaft. Some people cannot afford to build a car. They should get another hobby.

STIFFY
Old 07-07-2009, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, T56.
Not Ranked     

I stopped counting at $100,000 back in 2000-2002 for my CR. I could guess it was about 15-20k more, and i could spend 10k tomorrow improving it some more.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You did well there Col. The trip to Townsville might be a bit much now. I am organising a tilt tray truck. It is only 10kms each way and that is less than hiring a trailer.

I was going to give them the cost of the car in parts (most at any rate). Certainly less than 65K.

I hope that my inspector is as obliging! Maybe I should provide the female in the front seat?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv & Sharon,
Good idea on the cost of parts for the stamp duty, unfortunately I had already put my foot in it and at that point didn't want to jeopardise the registration.
I'm not sure Sharon would like to be given to the inspector for registration purposes.LOL: (I'm not sure if I got the smiles in or not)

Regards

colin
Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush fibreglass
Not Ranked     

I took along some receipts (donor car, chassis, wheels, windscreen, few hoses etc) and told them $27k which they were happy with.

I was ready to tell them I had used everything from the donor car but they didn't even ask to see the receipts.

What other costs could there possibly be? ;-)
Old 07-08-2009, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush, Dodge Viper blue, white stripes, black traditional interior 347, AFR heads, Morrison injection, motec, T5, live axle, lead car Bathurst drivers parade 1999, 5.0L Cobra Nationals sprint title 2001
Not Ranked     

Can't sleep Stiffy, 4 am suggest you change you nite time activity to daylight hours
Better be careful no sleep and you might be unstable during the day fall over and break a leg, or worse sprain something. Stick with Daytona manufacture
SNSKEN