Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
Me again

Can I just also send my condolensces to all you racer types down there in Oz regarding the sad passing of Frank Gardner, for my money one of the best 'proper' race drivers of all time and a guy who knew how to drive a Mustang! The races I saw at Brands Hatch were just amazing and his interviews after he'd won were legendary (and unable to be censored...)

Also have to record the passing of Ken Rudd who will be known to anyone who knows the early history of the Cobra and the AC Ace. I used to go to college next to his AC and Alfa showrooms so I'd hear the Cobras passing my window which usually rattled. It's his fault I caught the Cobra bug!! Seems all the good guys are moving on....
http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=1354

A sad loss.

Trevor, are you returning to the site? The members want you back.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Let's just say peace has been restored and leave it at that. I think it's fair to say the ACOC operates in a 'British' manner. A couple of my comments were totally misinterpreted and....anyway all is sweetness and light ;-) But it's nice to be missed and a bit of a surprise since, as everyone knows, I know nutthing.....
Old 09-02-2009, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Now now Trevor, enuff of this " I know nutthing " stuff.

Remember this is the Aussie forum of CC and we tend to appreciate the history of AC a little more than those who reside closer to the chicken farmer.

Frank Gardner will be sorely missed. Sedan racing in Oz would not be where it is without him. A list of his achievements:

CHAMPIONSHIP WINS:
European Touring Car Champion 1965
European Formula Two Champion 1966
British Touring/Saloon Car Champion 1967-68-73
European Formula 5000 Champion 1971
Australian Sports Sedan Champion 1977
LE MANS RECORD:
14 starts 1960s & 1970s
FORMULA ONE RECORD:
Debut British Grand Prix, Brands Hatch 1964
7 grand prix starts 1964 - Brabham-BRM
1 grand prix start 1965 - Brabham-Ford
SUCCESS AS TEAM MANAGER
Jim Richards - Australian Touring Car Championship 1985 (BMW 635csi)
Jim Richards - Australian Touring Car Championship 1987 (BMW M3)
Tony Longhurst & Tomas Mezera - Bathurst 1000 winners 1988 (Ford Sierra)
Tony Longhurst – Australian Super Touring Championship 1994 (BMW 318i)
Paul Morris - Australian Super Touring Championship 1995 (BMW 318i)

RIP
Old 09-02-2009, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I seem to recall seeing him at Lakeside in the late 60s. Highly respected among drivers.

http://www.ponysite.de/transam_gardner.htm

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Not to mention what I DO know - that Frank was part of the Willment Cobra team, raced the cars in the UK and South Africa etc and rolled the Le Mans Cobra, 39PH, at the Nurburgring and survived 'cos he landed across a ditch! He also helped build the Willment Cobra coupe and knew he could drive an F1 car as fast as anyone back in the '60s but chose not to put his life on the line to become the fastest driver in the graveyard. The world is definately a poorer place without guys like him.

Yeah I know you blokes appreciate the proper history of AC as I've been in contact over the years with Dan Bowden, who knows his Cobras (and GT40s, Mustangs etc etc etc...) However, there are times when I have to declare my ignorance as that makes for a quieter life with less chance of a visit from a Very Expensive Lawyer. Or something ;-)
Old 09-02-2009, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

The Bowdens have an auto museum about 20 mins from here at the Sunshine Coast with a Couple of early Cobras, at least one GT 40 and several Mustangs of the era.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Merv, Thanks for the link.
I have just pi$$ed myself laughing at this paragraph from the interview of Frank by Bowden:

And I had driven a fair few cars with Ferrari, but the T70 was something special, it really was a good car, but that was a state of the Art then. I remember sitting back in an MG, you get back in these things like a little MG with wooden doors and wooden dash... and you go around a corner, and all the white ants stand up and hold hands to give it a bit of torsional rigidity ... and the little gear lever is rattling.... and the Lucas windscreen wipers, and you look at it and say, well... everything rolls on so dramatically.

Classic ... blu$$y classic.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The whole interview is a good read!

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When I first started my kit and was seriously thinking about what to power it with,and having a spare 454 chev in the shop gave it serious consideration.When it came time to decide,just couldn't do it.Besides a friend says keep the car as close to an original as possible,now a BB Ford resides between the fenderwells.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
When I first started my kit and was seriously thinking about what to power it with,and having a spare 454 chev in the shop gave it serious consideration.When it came time to decide,just couldn't do it.Besides a friend says keep the car as close to an original as possible,now a BB Ford resides between the fenderwells.
As has been mentioned previously, the situation in Oz is somewhat different to the states.

We have strict, very strict regulations regarding emissions which forces us to use compliant engines if we wish to register the car.

Your BB ford would not pass unless on LPG.