Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Neutral     
Default ESC mandatory

Sorry if this has been posted before.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/33443/go...ory-from-2011/

Seems Electronic Stability control is going to be required come 2011. Has anyone spoken to an engineer about this and what our options may be? I dont think my car will be completed before then so probably need to start planning for this now. I wonder if there will be concesions if you started the build before hand.

Some how i don't think it will be very economical to fit one of these systems to a cobra.

Liam
Old 09-17-2009, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Excellent, this should help get funding approved to finish my car before the end of next year!
Old 09-17-2009, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ha! Good point!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Zedn, you only have to comply with the ADR regs that apply for the year you submit your paperwork to build your kit. I started my build in 2002 so every year I apply for another extension but I only need to meet ADR's that were in place in 2002.

Regards.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

This could influence the value of second hand Cobras?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Zedn, you only have to comply with the ADR regs that apply for the year you submit your paperwork to build your kit. I started my build in 2002 so every year I apply for another extension but I only need to meet ADR's that were in place in 2002.

Regards.
Paperwork? I dont think that we do that in NSW. Well at least the engineer didn't mention it. I have heard that you have to register your intent to builid the car and get approval in other states but i dont think thats the case in NSW. Can anyone confirm this?

I suppose my first visit to the Engineer for chassis testing in a few weeks will be my record of when i started.

Liam
Old 09-17-2009, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Paperwork? I dont think that we do that in NSW. Well at least the engineer didn't mention it. I have heard that you have to register your intent to builid the car and get approval in other states but i dont think thats the case in NSW. Can anyone confirm this?

I suppose my first visit to the Engineer for chassis testing in a few weeks will be my record of when i started.

Liam
Hi Liam,

In VIC you need to make contact with an ICV Vic Roads Engineer and "register" your build - nothing formal. But you need to provide proof of your major purchase - i.e. chassis ans thats DOM - Date of Manufacture or build date and you must comply with ADRs from that date. You then get 3 years to build it.

I think NSW is similar.

Regarding ESC - My beef is - Why do we continually need to get car manufacturers to compensate for crappy drivers. Why dont we make things like defensive driver training mandatory and a regular refreshers etc.

One good thing they have done is that in VIC all learners need to run a log book and run up 120 hours prior to getitng their license. My son who is 17 is going through this now. I can see marked improvements in his driving as he starts to get up to around the 70 hour mark. Of course you can fudge the log book but most people give it a fair stab.

End of my rant.

rgds

Gregg
Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Zden, you don't need to register your build with the rta in nsw as far as i know
Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Question

Take out Passenger seat then your no longer a Passenger vehicle or SUV...... NO ESC
Old 09-17-2009, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Question

Having commenced my build in 2007 and now to the point that it's almost complete, I can definately confirm that what Mando says, applies in other States, BUT DOES NOT APPLY IN NSW. Here, you don't inform the RTA that you are commencing an ICV and they don't give you three years to complete it. You build it, then when a new ADR comes out, you modify the build to comply with that ADR. I know, because it's happened to me on a few occasions now.

It would be great if all the States were consistent. It should work like this right throughout the Country:-

When you are preparing to commence a build, you enter into a signed Memorandum of Understanding with the Licensensing Authority which in my case would be the NSW RTA. That Memorandum of Understanding would be in the form of a Build Document issued by the RTA, outlining all the ADR's and other requirements with which you have to comply in order to have your ICV registered. It would specify a build time, say 4 years, and you could go about your build without worrying what changes to ADR's may effect you in the future. Any new ADR's issued after the memorandum of Understanding was signed would not apply to you. What a simple solution and one which would work efficiently Australia wide.

I would like to hear your comments on this idea.

Baz
Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Gee Baz, thats pretty tough, that if things change half way through, you have to then modify your build to comply.

I agree that all the states should align, but that might be asking too much as they dont align on whole heap of other things.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bazz/Gregg I think you guys are right, all states should align and work under the same rules but I don't like the idea of having to redo things because a rule has changed nor having to finish the build within a certain time. As I said earlier I apply for an extension every year, my next one will be number 8.

Regards.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Bazz/Gregg I think you guys are right, all states should align and work under the same rules but I don't like the idea of having to redo things because a rule has changed nor having to finish the build within a certain time. As I said earlier I apply for an extension every year, my next one will be number 8.

Regards.
Mando and Gregg,

I'm not backwards in coming forwards. If I get enough support through the Forum, I am quite prepared to make personal representations to the Federal Minister for Transport in an attempt to try and have Regulations drafted along the lines of what I have disscussed earlier. All I need is majority support from members of ALL STATES.

Baz.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ESC in a cobra...... good luck.

I suspect ICV's may be able to get an exemption if not the kit suppliers need to start lobbying now or they will all go out of business.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

We have exemptions from the mandatory frontal and side impact protection testing under the ICV scheme. I think this would fall under the same banner.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I believe we also have exemptions from the need to fit ABS and air bags. Why should this be different? A letter to the Transport Minister in each State or territory would force a reply surely.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone for the input, especially the NSW guys.

Baz i was worried that what you say might be the case with having to make the changes. Hopefully the boffins want have to many more meeting in the next few years before i am finished. National legislation framework would make things easy i agree, but they would probably just enforce the strict requirements of each state. Being able to lock in you ADR's would make things easy. Being able to purchase a publication with a set standard for adaptation of ADRs for ICV's would make things even easier.

I agree with the idea of what they are trying to achieve, as to be honest i would want my family driving cars that have the ESC (currently we all do). But i guess its another example minority suffering.

Who knows, maybe we are jumping to conclusions and the engineers will give an exemption.

At the end of the day the mechanics of fitting the system is not a concern for me. If i had all the parts sitting in a box i could make it work. All it is, is a bunch of sensors for each wheel, a yaw sensor, hydraulic pump and computer. But Something tells me the cost of aquiring all the bits could be expensive. And who knows what calibration is involved.

I am planning to take my chassis for testing in a few weeks when i hire a trailer to move house. I will pick the engineers brain whilst i am at it about what this might mean.

Liam
Old 09-18-2009, 01:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I believe we also have exemptions from the need to fit ABS and air bags. Why should this be different? A letter to the Transport Minister in each State or territory would force a reply surely.

Merv
Good point. Hopefully i am jumping to conclusions.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bazz, the former President of the Cobra Club in S.A. has been involved in lobbying for not only consistent rules, but for exemptions similar to those enjoyed by the Hot Rod community for many years. You may already know of John Staszinski but if you want his contact details let me know.

Regards.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Good point. Hopefully i am jumping to conclusions.
I think the reason why we dont have to fit ABS/Airbags is because they are not a mandatory item (yet).

Rgds

Gregg