Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > B & B Cobra's --- Speak with Bryan Anderson

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-24-2006, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     
Talking It's alive,It's alive

just started it up and it sounds so good.man it sounds good. drove down the block ,gearin will have to change 3.0 rear is way to tall. what's another 500 bucks. drive 's like a tank ,an alignment should cure that i hope.edelbrock fuel injection worked great.well back at it,got to figure out why the turn sig s and horn dont work when they worked before. Peter
Old 06-25-2006, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, 351 W, TREMEC 600
Not Ranked     

Peter,

Great job and it's a lot fun at this point isn't it? I too have a 3.0 rear end. I agree that it's a bit of a problem. What ratio are you looking at? I am considering a 3.5.

Rob
Old 06-26-2006, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

I've got a Drivetrain spreadsheet link on my page if it would help. I made it to figure what size gears to use on mine. It depends on your transmission gearing.
Look towards the bottom of the page at http://lnfletcher.homeip.net/66Cobra/66snake.html
You'll need excel to view it.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B+B 351w #112
Not Ranked     

I have 3.27 gears with a t-5 trany. 5th gear at 60 MPH is right about 2000 RPMs with 265/50/15 tires. I would go with at least 3.55 or 3.73 gears. Jim
Old 06-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The problem with the T5 and 3.5 or 3.7 gears is that your FIRST gear overall ratio is SO low it is almost useless. Just a tire frier. But it does improve the 5th gear OD ratio problem. There is no good solution no matter which way you go with the T5. I had the 3.5 with T5 in my Excalibur, never did like that combo.

Myself I'd be tempted to stay with the 3.27 rear gear and just run 4th. I recall an article about the CHP when they first started using the Mustangs as 'pursuit' cars in Calif. The officer was saying he rarely used 5th because the power fell off to much, he just left it in 4th, even at freeway speeds.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks all,for the info.i'll be moving to kailua, oahu on wed. for the summer and wont be able to work on my car.wah wah my wife doesnt understand why i'm bummed.Missing hot august nights (Reno),with my new car,wah wah.Maybe Excaliber will loan me his car in august and ill pretend i'm in reno.Ha Ha Ha. Getting back to ratios, 3.5 i'm thinking with 17 inch wheels 295 wide might be good. i should probably get the wheels first then rear end gears then correct the speedo ratio. Infletcher keep updating , i just love lookin at your creative progress. Robv lets see som picks.and is the tremic 600 a 4 speed? jim what engine modifcations do you have? Why do you want a lower ratio?

Last edited by pmfranke; 06-26-2006 at 11:50 AM..
Old 06-26-2006, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have no idea what was done to the engine. It's a 69 351w. I bought it used out A 32 Ford street rod. It has very little low end power. Doesn't idle below 950 without fealing like it wants to pull out of the motor mounts. Top end is pretty powerful. I can still spin the tires going about 60 MPH. All this and I paid $490 for the complete motor. All I did was change the oil and plugs. I guess there are some deals out there!!!! Almost forgot, first t-5 lasted 760 miles. Jim
Old 06-26-2006, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

was it a new t-5 z ? how many miles on the new (latest) one? which car is yours in your pics?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Tremec is a new 600 with .64 ratio on 5th gear. The 351W dynoed at 444 ft-lbs and 430 HP. I think a 3.5 in the rear is the way for me to go. I have 295/50's with 15" wheels.

Rob

Here's a couple of photos of the finished product.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks,sweet ride. What type, back space and offset are your wheels?How does it handle? oh, is your hood scoop 1/2 off center like mine is?
Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

[quote=Excaliber]The problem with the T5 and 3.5 or 3.7 gears is that your FIRST gear overall ratio is SO low it is almost useless. Just a tire frier. QUOTE]

Sorry to disagree. I have 3:73 rear gears with tremec 5 sp. About 95% of all my driving is non-highway at speeds of 50 MPH or lower.

Therefore, with the 3:73 rear gear and the 3:27 first gear, you can get to the speed limit in a hurry That is one of the things I love about the Cobra. The noise, the acceleration .... why turn it into a grocery getter?

Of course, with the tremec, 5th gear of 0.64 is a tad too high unless traveling above 70 MPH. Should use the 0.82 fifth gear.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, the hood scoop! Mine was 3/4" off. Check out the picture below. Unfortunately, I didn't discover it until the stripe was on. I fixed both the scoop and the license plate light position. Both looked bad. B&B said it's just the way things are.

My wheels are Team III AC wheels. I like them. As I recall, the back spacing in the rear is 4 1/2" on 8" wide wheels and 4" on 7" wide fronts. However, I need to check these at home if you want to rely on them. I did take into account the recommendation in the B&B Manual (probably the only time I did). Check your tire manufacturer's recommendation on rim width and how it affects diameter.

Rob
Old 06-27-2006, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hood scoop was off center on the originals. Just read a post in the last few days about Kirkham's moved their scoops back to the middle. Jim
Old 06-28-2006, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This was what he is talking about, posted on 1-10 under the Kirkham forum.

"Interestingly, you noticed the air cleaner is NOT in the center of the hood. The engine is set 1/2 inch to the right in these cars. Originally, the hood scoop holes were indeed offset to the right, but when people opened the hood they noticed it so we moved the cut out to the center of the hood.

David
www.kirkhammotorsports.com"
Old 06-28-2006, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

soooooo, do we move the stripe or wide'n the scoop and center it?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm considering no stripe so it wouldn't be a problem with mine. Seems drastic to widen and recenter the scoop! RobV's looks great in the pictures, I wonder how "bad" it actually looks?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

3.5 rear gear with a T5. First gear was DONE at about 25 mph, as a cloud of tire smoke drifts into the air. With gearing that low who needs a big block or even much horse power? TO low for me! Do the T5's come with varying 1 through 3rd gear ratios? I assume 4th is one to one in all of them. Maybe mine had an ultra low 1st gear ratio?

Now shifting into 2nd gear at 60-65 mph (max rpm) and liking it!

If the gears are low enough you can get a lawn mower engine to 'burn rubber'.

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-28-2006 at 10:29 AM..
Old 06-28-2006, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did widen the scoop to center the stripe.

Rob
Old 06-29-2006, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rob, that makes me curious on how you did that. It also explains why yours looks so good.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I built up the side with a fiberglass reinforced filler. I didn't do much to the underside as it was OK the way it looked and wouldn't be noticed anyway. The opening was enlarged and the whole profile was made symmetrical through the use of a simple template cut from a file folder. Three templates were made using the side of the scoop that was the larger of the two and working from the centerline.