Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoore2003 View Post
I will see you Saturday.

My problem with the aluminator is **from what I've lightly read** is that it needs force induction to really develop power over 400HP. I just really like the light weight of Ford's all aluminum engines. I have one in my 99 cobra now.

Phil
I you really want to save money and weight I don't see how the Aluminator would be an option, or at least cheaper than a FR crate engine. The list price of the Aluminator long block is $6700 and this does not include the intake, blower, accessory drive, wiring, ECM, heat exchanger, or other misc stuff needed to get this engine running. Your best bet would be to buy a wrecked 03/04' Cobra and use that as a donor car for all of the parts. Otherwise you will spend another $5K in a KB/Whipple blower and misc parts to get it running.

Plus this engine is not light, despite the aluminum block. The DOHC 4.6L engines are wider than a FE (I think they are wider than an original SOHC motor). A fully dressed Aluminator engine will be over 700 lbs not counting the extra plumbing for the heat exchanger and wiring/ecm.

I would think that the special Vintage is offering right now is going to be really hard to beat, unless you luck into someone just needing to dump their car for quick cash.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #656 402 SR TW
Not Ranked     

IF this is the engine Vintage was trying to sell before, they wanted 5k for it. It's a Naturally Aspirated version -- I don't think you want to put a supercharger on it. That means it's probably only good for 350hp. Still needs all the wiring and crap for Fuel injection. Still will be hard to beat the sterling grey with white stripes at 40k.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
IF this is the engine Vintage was trying to sell before, they wanted 5k for it. It's a Naturally Aspirated version -- I don't think you want to put a supercharger on it. That means it's probably only good for 350hp. Still needs all the wiring and crap for Fuel injection. Still will be hard to beat the sterling grey with white stripes at 40k.
Have you talked to Jay yet? He might be able to shed some light on the situation.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 351W, 400 Horses
Not Ranked     
Default If the price is right

Hi Phil,

I have a speedway blue car. Its awesome. Bryan built it at Vintage Motor Sports in 2006. It runs strong, fun to drive, and in great shape. Its a great driver and is extremely reliable. I took it to cape Cod from CT and on many cobra drives. It does have higher mileage because I like to drive as well as go to car shows.

Check out my photo album.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/albu...pictureid=2622

FOR SALE: If the price is right?
Gary

Last edited by SD5805; 02-15-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Old 02-15-2010, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

to purple venum and Phil,

Just an observation, how can you have 14,000 trouble free miles but indicated the following: "Owning these cars isn't cheap and you will continue spending money on them no matter who the manufacturer is."

I've had a backdraft cobra since 2006 with higher mileage with very little problems at all mostly optional accessories and basic maintenance and optional upgrades.

The FFR however, tends to need much attention in the beginning in order to get the home made garage built car working flawlessly.

I almost purchase an FFR, but I avoided the headache and purchased a new Backdraft and have been happy ever since.

GAry
Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider701 View Post
I you really want to save money and weight I don't see how the Aluminator would be an option, or at least cheaper than a FR crate engine. The list price of the Aluminator long block is $6700 and this does not include the intake, blower, accessory drive, wiring, ECM, heat exchanger, or other misc stuff needed to get this engine running. Your best bet would be to buy a wrecked 03/04' Cobra and use that as a donor car for all of the parts. Otherwise you will spend another $5K in a KB/Whipple blower and misc parts to get it running.

Plus this engine is not light, despite the aluminum block. The DOHC 4.6L engines are wider than a FE (I think they are wider than an original SOHC motor). A fully dressed Aluminator engine will be over 700 lbs not counting the extra plumbing for the heat exchanger and wiring/ecm.

I would think that the special Vintage is offering right now is going to be really hard to beat, unless you luck into someone just needing to dump their car for quick cash.

The '99 & '01 Cobras had the aluminum block and heads, the '03 & '04 Cobras had the iron block and aluminum heads. In stock trim the '03 & '04 had 390 HP vs 320 for '99 & '01 and if I remember correctly, the whole motor package weighed about 150 lbs more than the '99 & '01 setup due to the iron black, supercharger and associated plumbing.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD5805 View Post
to purple venum and Phil,

Just an observation, how can you have 14,000 trouble free miles but indicated the following: "Owning these cars isn't cheap and you will continue spending money on them no matter who the manufacturer is."

I've had a backdraft cobra since 2006 with higher mileage with very little problems at all mostly optional accessories and basic maintenance and optional upgrades.

The FFR however, tends to need much attention in the beginning in order to get the home made garage built car working flawlessly.

I almost purchase an FFR, but I avoided the headache and purchased a new Backdraft and have been happy ever since.

GAry
Let's not beat up on the nice FFR guys over giving me advice. My biggest fear with an FFR would be developing a stress crack in the fiberglass. I don't have any data, but I've heard of it more than once. Meanwhile, I've not heard of nearly as many complaints, troubles, guess work coming from BDR owners. I just want to have a nice toy that I know isn't going to give me too much trouble, one that I don't have to invest a huge amount of time in (even though I'd like to -- I work too much and I don't have an abundance of hands-on skills).

Gary, Thanks for trying to ensure no one is steering me wrong. I'm hoping for your experience Gary! I don't think I'll need much hope if I invest smartly.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

PJ,
regarding Uncle Todds car, it seems to be just what you're looking for (I don't know if it fits price wise...), except for the double roll bars. It would be very simple, easy and cheap to remove that second bar. Unbolting it and taking it out would be minutes, and any fiberglass experienced body shop can close those three small holes off as if they never existed in a day, and likely very reasonably. Just something to think about.......
Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks.

You won't be disappointed with the BDR. Just 4 years ago I was in your shoes in deciding my car. Just take your time. I know Bryan at vintage can get you in a new cobra for only a few more dollars than used. If used a used BDR goes for 38k to 40 k, and their new cobra speceil i saw for approx 46k, It may be worth the wait. Then you can order it to your liking. I was going to buy a used superformance but ended up getting my new BDR from Vintage for not much more $$.

Although, buying a preowned cobra in show room condition (like mine) all you need is to get in and drive. No Break in period needed and any and all kinks are worked out.

On the FFR note: I do like their improvements made to their new MK 4, But like you I'm so busy I would never be able to find the time to do it myself. It would literally take me for ever. I'm a driver not an engine guy or a mechanic.

Good luck. Take a look at my album too let me know what you think.

GAry
Old 02-15-2010, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
PJ,
regarding Uncle Todds car, it seems to be just what you're looking for (I don't know if it fits price wise...), except for the double roll bars. It would be very simple, easy and cheap to remove that second bar. Unbolting it and taking it out would be minutes, and any fiberglass experienced body shop can close those three small holes off as if they never existed in a day, and likely very reasonably. Just something to think about.......
Right - or even better... close the holes with stainless steel / chrome "fitting plates" - will look nice, and they are there if you need re mount the bar

Enough said... stop talking and start walking (to the drivers seat)

Last edited by henrik; 02-15-2010 at 02:51 PM..
Old 02-15-2010, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Anyone know the story on this car?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1539wt_1167
Old 02-15-2010, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

An aside, RE dual roll bars...

I ordered duals for several reasons: Mostly, I like the symmetry. (And it's easy to find at a Cobra meet.) The BDR rollbar is functional, heavy-gauge steel bolted directly to the frame. If I ever turtled the thing, that roll bar is all I would have between my head and the asphalt. I would rather have two of them grinding down in unison than one.

I would extend the same courtesy to a poor, innocent passenger. When is the last time you went out for a spin alone? Or alone for more than a few minutes? (HEE HEE!)

Hey, I bought #139 to drive, not to display.

Just crippled-up old me.

UT
Old 02-15-2010, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

phil,
heres some on cobra country
Backdraft Racing 427SC Roadster, BDR #692. Titanium/Onyx Black stripes. The BIG Picture: Click Here! Under the hood: fully polished Roush 342, [outputting 429 horsepower, 410 ft./lbs. torque], outfitted with Edelbrock intake manifold, Holley 770 cfm carburetor, MSD ignition. Geartrain: Tremec World Class 5-speed gearbox. In The cockpit: VDO instrument gauges, Moto-Lita steering wheel, Simpson 5-point belts, premium leather upholstery, chromed fire extinguisher. Big photo of cockpit: Click here! Other pertinent details: all maintenance documented and completed by Speed Fanatix and Backdraft Racing of Boyton Beach. Logged 2,400 miles (±3,900 km; you get all dyno sheets, manuals, et al.). Ceramic-coated sidepipes in black, front & rear triple-chromed bumpers, Raydot chromed driver-side mirror. BIG broadside shot: Click Here! You also get: protective fender covers. 3M rear paint protection, full dust cover. Original owner, flawless car, blazingly fast and nimble. In-Your-Face frontal shot: Click Here! $44,900 obo. Contact Mitch (561) 704-2487 PST (cell), (561) 582-0002, ext.205 PST (work), (561) 417-7787 (home), or email: SheaM@bellsouth.net
Boca Raton, Florida
20 January

For Sale: Backdraft 427 roadster, #BDR750. Finished in Reflex Silver/Onyx Black stripes/ blacked-out option. The BIG Picture: Click Here! Under the hood: Performance Engineering 408 Windsor stroker [475 horsepower] outfitted with 725 Demon carburetor with electric choke; comes with a one-year warranty. It's mated to a TKO-600 gearbox with a 0.82 final drive ratio. BIG Photo of powerplant: Click Here! Where the rubber meets the road: 17" knockoff wheels shod with Goodyear rubber [front: 235/8X17; rear: 315/11X17]. German engineered BMW E36 suspension keeps this serpent on the ground and carving the turns and corners. As on all Backdraft roadsters, it comes to you replete with 4-point harnesses, VDO instrument gauges. BIG Photo of cockpit: Click Here! You also get: 3M rear-fender stone/roadway projectile protection, black ceramic-coated headers & sidepipes. BIG rear shot: Click Here! Priced at $41,900 for a prompt sale! Contact Bill at (859) 630-9099 EST, or email: Bill@GCPerf.com
Hebron, Kentucky
Bill Littleton
Backdraft's Midwest Dealer
8 January

Superformance 427SC Cobra, SPO#1066. Stunning bright Stuttgart Silver/BMW medium gray stripes. The BIG Picture: Click Here! Under the hood: Ford Motorsports 351W [392 cid / 430 horsepower / 450 ft. lbs. torque] outfitted with Holley 750 cfm carburetor, Ford Racing aluminum heads, aluminum intake, MSD 6AL ignition with rev limiter. BIG Photo of powerplant: Click Here! Geartrain: Tremec 3550 5-speed gearbox, McLeod billet aluminum flywheel, Pro-5 shifter, Ford 8.8” differential with 3.73:1 rear end. Suspension, brakes and rolling stock: fully independent, Bilstein coil-overs, Wilwood disc brakes w/SS brake lines, original-style fully polished 17" pin-drive aluminum wheels with polished knockoffs and new Kumho XS tires front & rear. In the cockpit: both Moto-Lita hardwood-rimmed and aluminum-spoke steering wheels, Smiths gauges, premium German leather upholstery, 5-point racing belts and heater unit. BIG Photo of cockpit: Click Here! Other features you get include: aluminum ceramic-coated headers and sidepipes, chromed rollbar, polished SS quick jacks front & rear, soft top, side curtains, tonneau and custom car cover. Less than 7,000 miles/ ±11,300 km on this beautiful reptile. In-Your-Face frontal shot: Click Here! $46,500. Contact Todd at (614) 554-9280 EST, or email: ToddS@DaimlerGroup.com
Columbus, Ohio
30 November

For Sale: Backdraft 427 roadster #798. Dazzling coachwork finish in Monterey Red/Stuttgart Silver stripes, black interior, black softtop. The BIG Picture: Click Here! Under the hood: Performance Engineering 408 Windsor stroker [450 horsepower/ 425 ft./lbs. torque] outfitted with 725 Demon carburetor with electric choke; comes with lots of polish and a one-year warranty. It's mated to a T5 transmission. BIG Photo of powerplant: Click Here! Where the rubber meets the road: 17" knockoff wheels shod with Goodyear rubber [front: 235/8X17; rear: 315/11X17]. German engineered BMW E36 suspension keeps this serpent on the ground and carving the turns and corners. As on all Backdraft roadsters, it comes to you replete with 4-point harnesses, VDO instrument gauges, heater, black softtop. BIG Photo of cockpit: Click Here! You also get: 3M rear-fender stone/roadway projectile protection, ceramic-coated headers & polished sidepipes. BIG broadside shot: Click Here! $44,900 obo. Contact Bill at (859) 630-9099 EST, or email: Bill@GCPerf.com
Hebron, Kentucky
Bill Littleton
Backdraft's Midwest Dealer
30 November/February

http://cobracountry.com/home2.html
happy hunting
Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://vintage-motorsports.com/showr...el=&condition=

heres a new one at vintage. you can alwaye re shoot the paint work
Old 02-15-2010, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

Gary, see PM for response Phil, some nice cars suggested by Gary and others. Think you are on the right track.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     
Thumbs down

Quote:
It is Sterling grey... the one color you would NOT consider

You are waisting our time - we try to help... you claim to have been looking everyday for 6 years - BDR the last 18 month... yet your comments are all over the place.

Buy a toycar if you can afford it - and ask your questions in an other forum
Old 02-16-2010, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik View Post
It is Sterling grey... the one color you would NOT consider

You are waisting our time - we try to help... you claim to have been looking everyday for 6 years - BDR the last 18 month... yet your comments are all over the place.

Buy a toycar if you can afford it - and ask your questions in an other forum
Thanks Henrik, you'll be on my special list Nothing like tough love, I guess you really care about me.

You're just damn lucky you bought 602 in the first several days she was on the market. That was a steal of price... I saw the car late.

"Waisting our time" -- well, I've been watching the sales for all that time (probably over 9 years now). Don't click my post if you don't want to read. I have yet to figure out exactly what engine I want although I am pretty sure it's a 351W or larger... and I'm debating what to compromise on. The one on ebay has the same paint scheme as the one in Jay's place, so if I like the paint when I see it in person, I may consider getting a Roush engine for even less.

Thanks to everyone who's provided helpful info. For all others who want to pad their ego, don't bother posting.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wish I bought 602 and left your sorry A$$ driving a Saab convertable around....

On a separate note, hope you put 602 on youtube again, except flying down some European streets!

Sorry to hear about the train accident... my thoughts with the victims.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Roush Ford Coyote #1156
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up BDR Cobra

Hey Phil , I just happened to go on CC saw this post & realized we spoke through e-mail yesterday. Just enjoy looking for your Cobra! Picking out the perfect Cobra is part of the fun so enjoy the process ! Most everyone here has giving you good advice . You will also get to see a lot of cars @ Vintage on Saturday. Good luck & I hope your driving by this spring !

BDR/CAV GT 40
65 Corvette Coupe
SL 55 AMG
BDR Cobra
67 GT 500 R
07 BMW M 5
Old 02-16-2010, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

Keep an open mind, set your price range and you will know it when you see it. I didn't want the twins either, but when mamma said "oh that cars pretty". Well, it's now in the garage and I can always put in a bigger power plant when I want to. For me it was an easy compromise.