Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 866 Roush 427 SR/TW
Not Ranked     
Default BDR rear end opinions please (BDR owners)

Hi all,

I am very close to buying a BDR, which I am very excited about. I am working out the options that I want/need at this time.

I will be going with the Roush 427 sr/tw aprox. 515 hp & 525 ft. lbs
either a T56 or T600 tranny.

My big question is which rear end to use. I am hoping to get the advice and opinions from BDR owners who have experience with this car.

Should I go with a LSD or the standard rear end and if you don't mind, please give me your thoughts as to why.

Thank you very much!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm not up on BDR options and what they offer but if the choice is open or LSD, always go with with LSD in these cars. That's my opinion anyway.
Larry
Old 03-29-2010, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Depends on what you plan to do with it. Street use or racing? LSD is great for burnouts and traction, I have an open diff with 3:46 gears and I don't have any problems.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gimme a break! Is there something special about a BMW open diff that makes it superior to any other open diff? No, there isn't. You might as well say, Ford or Chevy owners only please, it would make no difference in the out come. Open diff is open diff, load one tire and the other one goes up in smoke, end of story. That is the fundamental reason ALL manufacturers offer an LSD of some kind, it is superior when it comes to traction under various conditions.

Yes I've seen the "blah blah blah" about how "special" BDR's are and that an open diff works well. Uh huh, do they offer a bridge for sale with that line as well?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Dang Ex, go have a coffee man.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Or perhaps drive a BDR, unless you already have...
Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft / 427sr/tw
Not Ranked     
Default Hey there

I have a Roush 427SR/TW with an LSD 3.64 diff... Perfect combo !!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well I have read the little ditty about how BDR (BMW) open diff's are "OK" and that always did bother me. Such statements coming from the FACTORY are pure BS and miss leading the public about the virtues of an LSD vs Open diff. I think it's irresponsible on a factory level.

Sure, they are "OK", just like Ford or Volvo or Chevy or anybody else that runs an open diff. BMW's are not superior with their open diff, it's simple physics.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Ernie,
For a minute, think outside the box and tell us why a non-LSD diff. could be safer. Just give it a shot for sh!ts and giggles... I always like to completely explore the other sides opinion to ensure I've got it "right" on my side.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

CharlandK

Are you aware of another MA resident attempting to register his Cobra :

I can't stand Ma. As my car nears completion I now facing the real possibility I may

Might be of assistance to him if he knew the procedural steps you will be using for registering ?

Other, are you by any chance related to Rene Charland, past NASCAR Modified champ who lived in Western MA, mechanic/crew chief was Fred Rosner. We went to the races at Norwood MA ( high banked paved oval ), Stafford Springs, Utica-Rome & Fonda NY ( dirt tracks ) etc
Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There is no question an open diff is SAFER!! From "back in the day" I recall the law suits GM encountered over the use of LSD in their cars when it first became readily available. People weren't used to have both rear tires turning and thus making the rear end of the car go sideways. Especially noticeable on a snow covered road.

It's a Cobra, if you want "safe" try the Volvo.

I LIVE to get-r-sideways!

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-29-2010 at 08:51 AM..
Old 03-29-2010, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Don,

I have talked to the owner of that Kirkham who lives in Mass also. Whe have talked on here and on the phone. He is right. Mass sucks! I am not going to register my car in Mass. At this time, they just wont allow it. I hate it, but it is just the way it is. I hope they can change the rules some time soon and then I will transfer the registration to Mass.

I am not related to Rene. I live in Western Mass also, but we are not related.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Cashburn is obviously very knowledgeable about the BDR, I would probably take his recommendation and go with it.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks rodknock.

I agree with you 100% cashburn seems very knowledgable. I was looking between 3 different manufacturers when I met him and began my discussions with him. Aside from the car itself, he is the reason that I am going with the BDR. He seems like a decent and honest guy who knows his Sh!t.

If anyone is looking to get a BDR or just trying to narrow down the options, I would highly recommend they give him a call. I can be a bit picky and a pain in the ass when it comes to getting what I want and exactly how I want it. He and I have been in discussion for well over a month now and he is always quick to respond to any of my questions. I am especially impressed with his concern for his car owners safety. It would have been much easier for him to just tell me "yes, go with the LSD" and not give me the time to explain why he feels the standard rear end would be a safer option for me even though it is a less expensive option (money out of his pocket).
Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh, OK, I didn't realize we were talking about relative safety aspects of a replica and open diff. New owner, new to Cobras, short wheel base, big horse power? Agreed, you can make a case for an open diff, just might save your ass in a corner when you shift to second and break the tires loose and weren't even trying to do that!

That's a fairly common happening with a new Cobra owner, "I wasn't even going that fast, just a mild shift into second, in the corner, at an intersection, not heavy on the throttle at all. Next thing I know, I've stuffed the car into the curb, bent the front wheel, cracked the body." Last guy I talked to about that said it cost him about $3,000 for the damage (and DON'T tell his wife).

Personally, I like to "drift" the corners...

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-29-2010 at 09:41 AM..
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Roush Ford Coyote #1156
Not Ranked     
Default BDR rear end

Charlandk,
I'm on my 3rd BDR Cobra. Car # 902 whis is in shipping as we speak. I like the stock rear end & it's perfect for street use . You can leave 2 black strips if you want and there is never a problem making sure the power hits the pavement. The BDR hooks up very well with the big rubber I think the stock rear is also more compliant when you do the wrong thing like staying in it to long on the few occasions it may want to get loose
Anyway it sounds like your on the right track & Jay and Brian @ Vintage know their stuff !
Good luck
Rick
BDR # 902, BDR GT 40, 65 Vette Coupe, 67 GT500 R ,06 BMW M5
Old 03-29-2010, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My concerns were not for the safety of the car or the "newbie" factor. I have some experience with very high horse power fast cars and while I completely appreciate Jay's concern for the safety factor, I want the best performing cobra that I can afford. Since I do not have any experience with a cobra or a car of its power with such a short wheel base and light weight. I posted the topic to get the opinions of those with more experience than I. I want to enjoy this car for many years and was afraid that if I went with the standard "open" rear diff that I may regret it down the road and have to shell out some cash to upgrade to a LSD rearend.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and this site for having a place to obtain such information is which to me is an amazing resource of knowledge.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Rick,

That is exactly the type of response I was looking for. A BDR owner telling me what they have and if they like it or not and why. And if they had it to do over, would they go with the standard rear end or the LSD. Traction was a major concern of mine with the standard rear end.
Which motor are you using in your new car and which did you have in your last?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Rick has gone from a PE 351W to a Roush 402SR+TW and was flirting with a 482 FE until finally going with a Ford Racing 427W. Based on his track record he will likely be in another BDR (after 902) next year

I will be out for a few hours and also finding out about those blue stripes...
Old 03-29-2010, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Roush Ford Coyote #1156
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Bdr

Charlandk,
As Jay mentioned my last car had the Roush 402 TW & it was a graet package. The new car will have the new Ford Racing 427 W. It's basically the same package as the Roush for HP & Ford Racing had a special promotion offer . This car is also going to have a turkey pan and Jay does an awesome job at making an original style dash with the Vintage Motorsports custom gauges.

Rick

BDR 902,BDR GT40, 65 Vette Coupe, 67 GT500R, 06 BMW M5, 05 SL55 AMG