Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JayBar
  • 1 Post By JayBar

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#078,408 Dart Block, TKO 600,Indigo Blue, White Stripe
Send a message via Yahoo to JayBar
Not Ranked     
Default turn signal wiring diagram

I had the usual problem with the turn signal switch turning on the collum. I removed it and re-taped the threads. But in the process it all fell apart, springs links etc. Put it back together but it would not work so I bought a new assembly.
Installed the new one but it does not work. The only wiring diagram I could fine on line (for the entire car) is a hand drawn one which shows the basics.
The turn signal diagram is not complete. There are 5 wires coming off the switch but the diagram only shows three wires connecting to anything. There are two wires marked L/H and R/H with colors of Yellow and green. These wires leave the switch go about an inch and end in an arrow ->(not a ground symbol) . Can anyone
tell me where these two wires connect. Or better still does anyone have
a complete diagram?

Thanks,

Jay B

Last edited by JayBar; 02-02-2011 at 04:38 PM..
Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBar View Post
I had the usual problem with the turn signal switch turning on the collum. I removed it and re-taped the threads. But in the process it all fell apart, springs links etc. Put it back together but it would not work so I bought a new assembly.
Installed the new one but it does not work. The only wiring diagram I could fine on line (for the entire car) is a hand drawn one which shows the basics.
The turn signal diagram is not complete. There are 5 wires coming off the switch but the diagram only shows three wires connecting to anything. There are two wires marked L/H and R/H with colors of Yellow and green. These wires leave the switch go about an inch and end in an arrow ->(not a ground symbol) . Can anyone
tell me where these two wires connect. Or better still does anyone have
a complete diagram?

Thanks,

Jay B

the basic turn signal switch will have 5 wires. for the sake of an example i will use the ford that i am familiar with.
you will have a power into the switch, most likely yours is self grounding,

each lamp you are switching takes one lead. which may be wired directly to the lamp or go through a relay. so the wires you said show L\H R\H go to either the front or the rear. where do the other three you seem to know where they go....go to now?

the wires from the switch will be the hot lead to the filament you want to blink. the lamps probably share a common ground for the two filaments.

even with a diagram for your car, i would suggest a continuity meter to verify where you are attaching the wires or you could loose more than patience in rewiring it.

the blinker(relay) could be placed 1 of 2 places in the circuit. find that and trace the wires to the switch and back to the bulbs.

i make up the best curse words doing wiring......
especially when i cut the same wire twice and its still too short......
Old 02-02-2011, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FWB
Thanks for the detailed reply. The information you gave will be helpful if I can't find a diagram for my car. Where I am is, I have 5 wires coming out of the switch. Two go to the dimmer. Three are part of the turn signal system. If I can get a diagram I can figure out where to connect the wires. ( I know where to connect the wires I have three stubs to hook up to just don't know which is which.) I know it's not rocket science just time consuming and the space is tight, making the job
unpleasant. I wired my FFR from scratch so I know the basics, but I did not build this car and don't want to reinvent the wheel.
A wiring diagram would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ok now wait a minute....you said wires are for the dimmer......so this is a multi function switch? high beams, turn signals, and what else?

you didn't mention that in your first post, thats a different animal. my next question is the new switch you bought......is from what manufacturer.
is it a GM type switch?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
ok now wait a minute....you said wires are for the dimmer......so this is a multi function switch? high beams, turn signals, and what else?
It also controls the wipers, a/c and landing gear.

Now I appreciate your willingness to help out, but I posted this to the Backdraft section of the Forum, expecting replies from Backdraft owners
or dealers. They would know I am talking about a VW switch. I have asked in each post for a wiring diagram (for a Backdraft is implied) that's what I want and need.
Eventually someone who has one or someone who can tell me the color code of the wires will answer my post.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

your right thats what you will need. if all else fails get an appropriate VW wiring diagram and use that to wire it up. you can bet though that some of the same makes have different switches and different steering columns as far as backdrafts go....
i kinda went thru the same thing on my car......wiper motor from a mazda, column from a ford, and a ford multifunction switch.
i ended up buying a mazda wiring diagram and a ford diagram to get them to play nice together. i would recomend a VW diagram for the model the switch is for, just to keep sane.....
Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, I figured it out. For those of you who purchase the Chinese made VW turn signal switch on ebay here is what you need to do.

Coming out of the switch. Are 5 wires three control the turn signal one does the high beam and one is hot or from the flasher I don't know which.

Anyway the Green/black wire is the right turn and connects to the wiring harness yellow wire. the black/white wire from the switch goes to the
harness wire green. The Black switch wire goes to the harness green/yellow wire. The brown switch goes to the brown harness wire. And the last
wire goes to the harness wire that is left (I forget the colors).

I know in newer BDR's there is a single connector which makes life easier but when you buy Chinese to save money you have a little work to do.

I did not mention earlier that the interior sleeve of the switch needs to be opened up a bit to slide over the steering colum. You can do that with a dremel in about 15 minutes. Just take down the high points which are molded in ridges. The material is soft and easy to remove.
ront49 likes this.

Last edited by JayBar; 02-04-2011 at 09:00 AM..
Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

How much did the switch cost you?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The price was $47.00 delivered. As said above there is some tweaking involved, not direct replacement like the factory unit but cheaper.

I did take it for a ride this afternoon to check out the turn signals. They work fine just don't self cancel. That may get better with age, but since my 02 BDR only has 10,000 miles on it, it may take a while.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Not Ranked     

Is it the unit itself isn't designed to self cancel or is it a pin-alignment?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t8stang View Post
Is it the unit itself isn't designed to self cancel or is it a pin-alignment?
Well I don't know the answer but then again I'm not sure what you mean.
My steering wheel does have a pin protruding out.
Jay B
Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Not Ranked     

When I flipped my turn signal lever to the left side, I had to drill a new hole for the pin so the turn signals cancelled. Maybe the pin doesn't line up with the new switch assembly?
Old 06-14-2014, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing, keith craft 408
Not Ranked     

Hey JayBar. I have been reading your thread and I have been having a similar issue with my car. although I purchased a vw switch at a local store and its a greman unit although it was only like 50 bucks. but the colors of the wires are not the same as the original unit that was on mine nor the same as the colors as yours on this thread. I have a multimeter.... but am new to using it. How would I go about diagnosing which wire goes in which spot? any ideas?
Thanks.
Steve
Old 06-14-2014, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's been a few years since I did the installation and frankly I forgot how I did it. But if you have a multimeter I would use the continuity tester section. Find out which is the hotwire and which is the right which is the left. Then it would be trial and error as to which is the right and left coming out of dashboard. Sorry I can't be of more help but I just don't remember.
ront49 likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: