Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Like I said, a lot of custom parts and extra labor.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, SBF 351w (463 CI)
Not Ranked     

Chad u are in for an awakening if U think these cars are plug and play. They ALWAYS require some type of attention.

Last edited by PLDRIVE; 10-30-2011 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

The only car in production that is Coyote ready is the 2011 Mustang GT.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
The only car in production that is Coyote ready is the 2011 Mustang GT.
Gotcha!

I know there will be some tinkering necessary, but as much as I can, I would like to keep it under control. I don't pretend to posses the skills that some of you guys do. My specialties lie in other areas I leave that stuff to the pros!

Looking forward to learning more!

Chad
Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityJets View Post
Good / fair question. This will be a weekday driver for me. Unlike probably most, this will be my back-and forth to work car. With two little ones at home, this will sit most weekends.

I am not a mechanic and I don't like to tinker. I want to start it, warm it up, and go.

Thanks again.
Chad
don't mean to be a party pooper but.
I think a cobra would be a mismatch for your use, surprised nobody else chimed in.
can't imagine not being a tinkerer and using this for a work commute vehicle.

That said it's the most exciting motor vehicle I have ever had but for recreational use weather permitting,and I enjoyed tinkering.

Just wanted to give you some constructive criticism ahead of time .

Last edited by D111; 11-02-2011 at 01:48 AM..
Old 10-31-2011, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Go sit down with Keith and get the motor you want for how you are going to use the car. He can make you something from MILD to WILD. Keith will explain the trade-offs you make as you push the HP up. Solid engine builder, honest shop, good people albeit the dyno might be a tad optimistic in his shop.

I would buy a motor again from his shop without hesitation.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by D111 View Post
don't mean to be a party pooper but.
I think a cobra would be a mismatch for your use, surprised nobody else chimed in.
can't imagine not being a tinkerer and using this for a work commute vehicle.
they probably require more tinkering than any other new vehicle out there, and for having two little ones at home this is without a doubt the most dangerous new vehicle next to a motorcycle.
I appreciate that feedback. That's good to know about the danger comparison. It will be right at home next to my Harley, which is what I currently use as my back and forth to work (as long as its not raining). I love the toys, but don't get to enjoy them on the weekends anymore, so instead of letting them rot in my garage and do nothing but sit there and apply 400 coats of specially made wax and sealants, I choose to drive them, during the week, and enjoy them.

It's kind of funny to me that people would buy a kit-car / Replica and treat it like its a real classic car. To me they are just over-priced frames with a pretty fiberglass shell on them. But, they do look fantastic! And given the right engine, should perform great.

Now, if the quality of the BDR car has issues, that's a different story. I can see the engine needing a tinker, here or there, but if the quality of the base car is not up to par, then you may be right about this not being a good fit. I want a reliable running, fun to drive car. If that is too much to ask withouse being ASE certified, I may need to look elsewhere.

I appreciate the feedback!

Chad
Old 10-31-2011, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I dont care what roller you buy, you will have 20 plus problems in the first 20 months. Turn signal, fuel level indicator, crushed/pinched wiring, leaking something, strange vibration, loose bolts, you name it. Now lets get to the engine and repeat the aformentioned. If you are not a shadetree mechanic you will be miserable. Your best bet is to buy a well sorted used. The reasons as follows: Some of the issues will be fixed, no pissing contest for warranty, ie, they supplied the engine, they supplied the chassis, they sold the car, they require written apporval. Dont fk on saturday bs. Best warranty is no warranty take the $10k you save off of new for repairs.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

If you like the Backdraft, then I would suggest getting one from an authorized Backdraft dealer as they have extensive experience in setting them up just right. I'm not talking about just the engine and transmission installation. There have been many Backdrafts produced, but it is still a very limited production vehicle and has some quirks. An authorized dealer will know how to deal with these up front and it will go a long way to making it reliable for daily use.

As for an engine, the Coyote sounds like it would be great for the way you want to use it. The other engine suppliers you mentioned have great reputations and I assume you can't go wrong with any of them. Just to make it even worse, I had a Windsor engine built by Smeding Performance in California and it was incredible. Powerful, reliable and even came with a 2 year warranty. I am not sure they still offer this, but it tells you something about how they build their engines. I was thoroughly satisfied and I hear the current owner of Backdraft #90 is as well.

BTW, there have been several Backdraft owners that use their cars for a daily driver. Perhaps if they read this they can tell you about the experience they had. I believe most of them were very happy with the car in daily use. Well, maybe until winter!

SkipB
Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1058
Not Ranked     

Wow, I don't feel so bad....5.0 was an easy choice for me , my daily driver is a 2005 4.6 GT....but like others have said, it is all what you are looking for.Bill
Old 10-31-2011, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO2089, Ford Crate 393 475 Hp
Not Ranked     

....I'll put my 2cnts in. I drive the car weekly and no plans to race it, although may make a trip to the strip next spring to see what it can do.I also have no bias one way or the other regarding engines, this is just my experience.
My car has the Ford Racing Windsor 392, 475 Hp version (z heads). It has a nice lopy idle, is very streetable and goes like hell. I had the car recently dynoed. The shop guy does a lot of hot rod work and has a lot of experience with this particular engine. He commented that it's 'bullet proof'. After the dyno the car has run perfectly.
The Ford Racing catalogue does not list this engine anymore, it's been replaced by the 427. However it's still available, I found new crate @$8400. I also checked around and the install for the Superformance (which is subed out) is around $7k. SO, I'd expect it'd be about the same price for the Backdraft.
The another thing to consider is the simplicity of the install relative to the Coyote. It's tried n true, very little customizatoin, if something breaks you have more options.
Good luck with your project!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 821 RT3B Vintage Motor Sports
Not Ranked     

Get the 5.0 and get it from Vintage. I have #821 Rt3B with the 4.6 Rouscharger. Couldn't be happier, fast and reliable.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I chose a nice carbed 427 for my build. Pick one of the engine builders already mentioned.

The first year will be nothing but sorting out various teething problems. With the unproven coyote engine, you are inviting another year of sorting out.

Coyote engine install is still in its infancy. You will be one of the first. Chose wisely.

Last edited by jhv48; 10-31-2011 at 09:22 PM..
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You guys have been a huge help, and definitely have given me lots to think about, and also narrowed my path. I am proceeding based on all your advice!

I have narrowed it to either a Coyote or a Blykins 454

Chad
Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2007 BDR FR Boss 302
Not Ranked     

You can't go wrong with one of Bret's 454 builds. 428 crank in a 427 block. I'm gathering parts to build the same motor myself. Are you going to use a oem block or one of the aftermarket blocks? No right answer as both will be fine.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BackDraft, Keith Craft 408; 1967 GT500CR
Not Ranked     

See a private message from me.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

And the winner is?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am definitely leaning towards the Coyote. Everyone has been super helpful, and it is obvious Jay from Vintage and James at Radical Roadsters knows their stuff. I was fortunate enough to steal some time from Reg and Frank on their visit to Vegas (attending SEMA). Talk about knowledgeable, these guys know their product, and are happy to share it (even at 12am their local time).

Thanks to everyone for their help and input. There's a lot of valuable information here!

Chad
Old 11-04-2011, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

OK, I've read all the post and here is my 2 cents.
First of all, decide on how the car will be used...racing, drag racing, road racing or cruising and conditions in your neck of the woods.
Then think about car quality, engine type and authentisity, too many cobras have a "run of the mill engines".. small block Fords, chevy's (wrong) ....sorry not trying to offend anyone, just my opinion. Too me a cobra should be running an FE, no matter what cu. or outside accessories, it just is right.
Check out Southern Automotive, Bill Parham will build you your dream engine, complete in everyway and reliable, plus they stand behind their product. In addition their prices are reasonable.
Bill PS. I'm a fan, over 15000 miles on my 428 FE, run great and is fast.