Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Roll bars in Cobras are designed to work with crash helmets on the track where there's a reasonable risk of rolling the car while pushing it to its limits. They originally had no passenger bar because you don't race with a passenger and you (supposedly) don't push the car to 9/ 10ths and beyond on the street with your wife or significant other in the passenger seat.

Putting a roll bar behind your passenger without making them wear a helmet just increases the risk of a debilitating blow to the head in the type of accidents you're most likely to have on the street. The driver side bar puts you at the same risk but its your car and if the aesthetic considerations for you are not worth the risk you wouldn't be driving a SC style Cobra.

Kidding yourself and your passenger that a Cobra is "safer" with a passenger roll bar is uninformed at best and plumb dumb and irresponsible at worst. There's plain little that can be done to make a Cobra "safe" in normal automotive terms and nerfing one up with bars and padding is like bolting outriggers on a motorcycle to keep it upright. You're detracting from the original spirit and gaining nothing (making it worse actually) in the process.

Now, for the open trackers who need to drive with an instructor, its different but again, the bars are being used as intended with helmets and other safety equipment.

That's my broken record dissertation. At the end of it all, be as informed as possible and do it the way that makes you happy.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

There was a discussion on here at some point and a link to a video of a BDR that was in fact rolled over and was shown resting on it's rollbar. That accident was the result of a DWI I recall from the news report.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I related this discussion to my wife, her atitude was the following: you don't modify the car from it's original design, just to please someone's feelings, if they don't like it that there is only one roll bar, tuff, don't ride.

And for the wife who complains, tell her to stay home and bake some cookies and watch a soap opera!

In reality, the majority of 427 Cobra's originally didn't come with roll bars, did guys complain back then, or girls for that matter?

Next you'll be wanting to install a cup holder for her.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

About the wife discussion, I thought you were suppose to leave them home and pick up chicks with a cobra.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I had Jay do mine with 2. Yes I get heckled occasionally but I do track it and drive with a passenger often. In mine if the passenger's head were to make contact with the bar then their neck is fooked before their head ever hits the bar so I call that a wash. Even though I don't consider myself a waxxer, in the shows that I have taken it to it's generated nothing but praise. No snickers.

Steve
Old 02-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

So if you have no rollbars, you have no regard for own safety or the safety of your passenger.

Nobody's going to convince anyone here about one vs. two roll bars. Whatever floats your boat.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
OK, so you don't want me to say to your wife "You know, if you were my wife, that Kirkham would have two roll bars. I would want you to have the same safety features that I afford myself." Yeah, that would be sure to shoot the rest of your weekend to hell.
Here's my hope for those that decide to have two roll bars in their cars to make their Cobra safer.

Please make sure that you and your family: a) purchase cell phones that emit the lowest amount of radiation, b) purchase tickets on the safest airline, c) purchase houses that are not near power lines, d) don't smoke tobacco or drink alcohol, e) eat a lowfat low cholesterol diet, f) exercise regularly, g) make sure you get regular or semi-regular colonoscopies and mammograms at the appropriate age, h) purchase homes in the safest (lowest crime) areas, i) drink water instead sodas with chemicals and sugars, j) purchase and drive the safest autos and trucks made, h) test and eradicate any toxic mold from your home, and on and on and on.

Otherwise, you just don't love your wife and family enough.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup, those roll bars serve absolutely no purpose.
http:////api.viglink.com/api/click?f...13292005929325
Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

lovehamr,
It seems to me if you had his and her's. When racing you could add stiffeners between the two hoops and also the third tubes. Seen some pics here where a single roll bar bent so bad it finally moved enough that it lost any abilities to help. I also can't see why you couldn't remove her's if wanting the single roll bar look once in awhile. Not picking any sides just looking at all the options.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

lovehamr, you missed my point.

Accidents can happen at home too. What's more likely to happen?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lovehamr, well that explains it, you grt heckled, but don't hear any snickers.

Boy that's what I want when I would somewhere in my car,,,, to get heckled to my face! That's much better than receiving no snickers behind my back.

You can't have one without the other ! Nice try.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:10 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Really RK, I get what you're saying and I agree with the aesthetics issue. What I mean is that we're talking about common "roll bar" configurations not door side intrusion bars, air bags, ejection seats or wii bats (LMAO, BTW). And the only reason to go with a single rather than double or even one large one is aesthetics.

Ralphy, you are right, at least with my car, I could remove the other bar occasionally if I wanted to. But to be honest it's not that big of a deal to me and I'm way to lazy to do it because someone else didn't like it.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:12 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

3138, why don't you go back to waxing your Prius.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The only place I have ever encountered even the slightest, eensy-weensy bit of good natured ribbing over my roll bars is this forum. Nowhere else. It just doesn't happen. In fact, if you took a hundred people that knew absolutely nothing about the history of Cobras, and went purely on the aesthetic attributes of one or two roll bars, the majority would undoubtedly go with two roll bars. And, had I shown up on Shelby's doorstelp in 1965 with a wad of cash in my hand and said "I'll take the black one over there, but only if you take this money and install a passenger side roll bar first before I take delivery" this whole debate would never be taking place.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

My opinion-
To the purist, a second roll bar is visually disappointing.
To the casual, a second roll bar looks safe and symmetrical.
To the beginning tracker, a second roll bar or full-width single is mandatory for an instructor to ride with you.

Since you are building a recreation, do what meets your needs...so much else of the car is a departure from originality anyhow.

If this is an argument, there is no right answer for all.

(changes costume and puts on Moderator hat...)

Quit the sniping and name calling or I will delete the thread rather quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Is there a prevailing preference in the Backdraft community for or against a passenger roll bar?
Poor cartman's only post was the original post... we should be hearing from the "Backdraft community," not the chorus.

Thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 02-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
not the chorus.
What a wonderful word... or khoros, as it used to be. And this entire thread can be viewed as an "attic tragedy." Ron's post was the most erudite yet.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink

CW, the "Prius waxing" thing to much?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

In my best DeNero.. "...a liitle bit, just a little bit"
Old 02-14-2012, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1115 --VMS 427 c.i.
Not Ranked     

I had no idea this post would generate such "energy". In buying my first Cobra, I just wanted to hear the varying viewpoints -- primarily relating to aesthetics -- and make my decision from there. I felt the need to pursue this area in preparation for its affect on eventual "re-sale".

Thanks for the vigorous interchange of thought!!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

Sorry not a Backdraft owner, but I do have a custom full length roll bar with a drop support to the frame next to the trans tunnel on the passenger side. I have only received one remark "that makes your car look like a cheap kit" I laughed and asked where their car was.... got no answer.

why even bother asking... just get what you want. If you like it then who cares... especially most of these posters. oh and if I had a CSX or Kirkham.. I would have the same roll bar setup!!

I have images of the fitting and final finished roll bar in my gallery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: