Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Pure unadulterated BS.
But what if his wife won't ride in the car with him unless there's a roll bar on her side as well? Shouldn't he at least ask her whether or not that's important to her? Or should he not care?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
IMHO, we're all just fooling ourselves with any choice (none, one or two roll bars). G-d forbid, but the probabilities are side, front or rear impact, not rollovers.
probably the most honest and to the point post.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

To say that any one of us cares less about who they drive in the passenger seat of our Cobra is ridiculous.

Did you know that in modern cars with both driver's side and passenger side airbags, that a driver is more likely to walk away from a crash than the passenger?

So, by your thinking, as we hop into our BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac, Buick or whatever, we should drive ANY passenger in the center backseat to be safer.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok, I am a BDR owener, I had a second roll bar installed because my wife enjoys my hobby.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gallegos View Post
Ok, I am a BDR owener, I had a second roll bar installed because my wife enjoys my hobby.
Steve, that sentiment has been echoed time and time again. RodKnock is just being obstinate.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Steve, that sentiment has been echoed time and time again. RodKnock is just being obstinate.
Now that is the pot calling the kettle black!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydramada View Post
Now that is the pot calling the kettle black!
I am only steadfast in my view that if there are "special people" that will be sitting in that other seat that they should at least be given the chance to say "I would like a roll bar too, please."
Old 02-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just have to shake my head in the utter nonsense that driving around a car that replicates a 50-year old car, but adding a 2nd roll bar and thinking we're safer.

Drive alone and make them feel even safer. In fact, don't ride a bicycle or cross at a traffic light in an urban area either.

We should all walk around with body condoms, so, just in case, if we fall down, we'll be better protected.

I hope everyone has their house tested for mold, you know, just to make sure that your family is safe from toxic mold exposure.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

What if you drove a vintage convertible?

I know 99.9% of our Cobras aren't original, so if you want, go for it.

But I wouldn't admonish an MGB owner who drove his gal to the Dairy Queen.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Don't have my Cobra yet but the same applies to riding my Harley. My wife sometimes gives me grief about the safety issue (which I actually appreciate that she cares - but I still want to go ride the thing). Once, I responded "maybe I should just stay in bed with the covers pulled up over my head". She got my point and off I went.

Seriously, from a safety perspective, Cobras are essentially 4 wheel motorcycles. The best thing you can do is to drive one with the same habits learned driving a motorcycle, like don't just take off when the light turns green - look both ways. Asume the driver up ahead is going to change lanes right into you - stay out of the blind spot or look for them to check their mirror or at least be ready to get out of their way. Assume that everyone at a side street is going to pull out in front of you and watch their wheel to detect that they are starting to move. Actually I drive mostly out in the country and will do the same with the Cobra. The biggest hazard is deer and I haven't figured out a good way to avoid that possibility. I think it will safer in the case of deer to have the seat belt/harness loose enough so I can duck!

Regards,

Kevin
Old 02-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
What if you drove a vintage convertible?
Your example can be distinguished from our Cobras in that the passenger in the vintage convertible does not look over and see the driver "seemingly" being protected by his roll bar while the passenger is sitting naked and forlorn with none.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And to carry this line of thought even further....

Everyone. Stop eating the donuts, cakes, cookies, cheeseburgers, fries, sausage, the inhalation of sugar and salt by the tablespoons and smoking. Get your butts on a treadmill, Stairmaster, you know, indoors, where you're definitely safer.

As you get older, you need to work your muscles more, since you lose muscle mass every year.

If you truly care for your loved ones, then make a life decision to maintain a good weight by eating right and exercising EVERY day. For your entire family.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The idea like another said, that you would be safer, and your wife will be safer with an additional roll bar is nuts. If you never drive over your limits,( and be sure you know what they are) then the chances of rolling over are about the same as hitting the lottery.

If you haven't found your limits, don't do it on the street, find a way to do some track time. Getting T-Boned or even run over by a semi, is much more probable,,,,, and no matter how many or how big of a roll bar, ain't gonna help you.

There's nothing like being next to an 18 wheeler, on an entrance or exit ramp, and him not seeing you, you'll be able to tell anyone who want to know, just how scary the underside of a 57" trailer looks as it get's ready to swallow you up.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Patrick,
One thing to note on a BDR vs. the blunt force trauma thing is our roll bar is moved back (behind the wall, and why the 3rd leg is more vertical) so there is much less risk of hitting your head on it then a car that has a more traditional bar in front of the wall, behind the seat) setup.

I remain as neutral as can be in the decision. If you want it, you get it.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by era427tp View Post
Two roll bars is a guarnateed way to ugly up a Cobra.They weren't used in the 60's and they're not needed now.When I see a Cobra with 2 roll brs my first thought is......crummy,budget kit( FFR,Shell Valley,Cmc)
Well, in my opinion, your first thought is that of stuck up fuktard. I'm done.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 02-13-2012, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX6128 with Shelby 468FE
Not Ranked     

I must admit that I keep going back and forth on the one roll bar vs two roll bar question. Aesthetically, two balances the car (imho) but clearly one imitates the originals.
Jay is currently building out BDR 1091 for me but I haven't made the call to get him to install number two.....yet.
I echo Kevins2 comment that I view the cobra as a four wheeled motorbike and hope I will have the common-sense to drive it with the same caution as I ride my Harley i.e. I may be unlucky and have someone hit me/knock me off but won't be driving it like an a$$hole and overturn it on the road or end up in a field.......still undecided on 0ne v two though!

Andy
Old 02-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My point is the hypocrisy that we don't care about our passengers because they don't have roll bar for their side.

Every one of us makes decisions everyday that compromises or increases the health, welfare and safety of ourselves, our families and our loved ones.

And the 2nd roll bar on our Cobras ranks where on this list of decisions?

Install the 2nd roll bar. But just don't say that the rest of us here that own Cobras with one or no roll bars don't care or care less about our passengers.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Not to start a whole new debate, but wouldn't the driver's side roll bar provide at least some protection for the passenger as opposed to no roll bar? Seems like the inverted car not being flat but supported by the one role bar would at least be better than none? I haven't seen any photos of a rolled Cobra so this seems at least plausible.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

So if you have no roll bar, should you remove the shoulder harness and not have them?

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy; 02-13-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
But just don't say that the rest of us here that own Cobras with one or no roll bars don't care or care less about our passengers.
OK, so you don't want me to say to your wife "You know, if you were my wife, that Kirkham would have two roll bars. I would want you to have the same safety features that I afford myself." Yeah, that would be sure to shoot the rest of your weekend to hell.