Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 01:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2969, Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

New owner of a SPF here (33yrs old), I've never rode in a BDR before so I can't elaborate on them. Mines came with a Roush 427sr rated at 525hp at the flywheel... Its fast and handles good, the motor has a rev limit of 6250rpm which IMO creeps up on me way to fast when on it hard. I just ordered a pair of 4" outer/3" inner packed classic chambered mufflers I hear they're less restrictive than the mufflers that come with the SPF's and you gain power due to better flow. I plan on upgrading the heads, cam, intake and carb within the next few months... Shooting for a 7000rpm range and about 6-650hp flywheel.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
Henrik,
Thanks for the input. I noticed you have a T56 tranny and FI. Can you elaborate on the FI being worth the money vs a carb setup......also I notice most transmissions being the TKO500 or 600. Have you gone with a T56 for the power levels you are working with or what led you to use a T-56
I bought 602 when it was 1,5 years old - the guy who had it build put a lot of money into upgrading the performance - hence chose the t56 magnum (same as viper and z06) for the strong 6 shift gearbox - I'm not an expert on the tranny... but I love the t56 (think the tranny depends on your engine)

I had the EFI installed (replaced a holley 850) due to: LOOK damm too expensive, but what the heck... I like knowing it looks fantastic out there, and when I pop the hood... wow

I have the Steeda tri shifter - it fits right into my hand.

I also have the NRG thin quick release hub for steering wheel (theft protection - and quick change between the monolita wood and the fat suede )

I have extra oil cooler and dual fans in the front for the look... I could go on, but point is - find one you like NOW.... upgrade it, or sell it and build your dream car next year

I gave 40 for the car and 15 in personal upgrades

You can ask / read for years (like I did ) but truth is... untill you have been riding one for some time you don't know what you really want.

Find a "cheap" one you like, and sell it next year with minimum loss - by then you will know if the snake got you or you're better off in a z06.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2014, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik View Post
I bought 602 when it was 1,5 years old - the guy who had it build put a lot of money into upgrading the performance - hence chose the t56 magnum (same as viper and z06) for the strong 6 shift gearbox - I'm not an expert on the tranny... but I love the t56 (think the tranny depends on your engine)

I had the EFI installed (replaced a holley 850) due to: LOOK damm too expensive, but what the heck... I like knowing it looks fantastic out there, and when I pop the hood... wow

I have the Steeda tri shifter - it fits right into my hand.

I also have the NRG thin quick release hub for steering wheel (theft protection - and quick change between the monolita wood and the fat suede )

I have extra oil cooler and dual fans in the front for the look... I could go on, but point is - find one you like NOW.... upgrade it, or sell it and build your dream car next year

I gave 40 for the car and 15 in personal upgrades

You can ask / read for years (like I did ) but truth is... untill you have been riding one for some time you don't know what you really want.

Find a "cheap" one you like, and sell it next year with minimum loss - by then you will know if the snake got you or you're better off in a z06.
This is the path I'm going to take. I'm looking for a color combo that I can live with it is just important to me to find a car that has been taken care of and is very clean. Like you mentioned if the Cobra turns out to not be what you want you can sell it and if you like it you have a car to keep and build upon. Don't even get me started on the Z06 is have to talk myself out of going and and buying one every week!
Old 04-20-2014, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Are you looking to go faster than a 600HP bike? That's a handful.

On the high power end the boosted Coyote is a knockout package. But it you want the old school rumble and shake than a heavily built 427 SBF can scratch the itch.

I do have 3 consignments posting in the next 2 weeks. Maybe I have something in your budget range if you are planning to go used. Give me an email or call and I can give you details on what I have coming in. My consignments over the last 6 months have all sold before I could even get them listed.

I think you are on the right track and asking owners is even better. If you would like some contacts to speak to owners I am happy to provide those. Building a car now for Chattanooga that should get some tongues wagging...
I tried to reply last week to many of the the post in this thread off of my phone but it never went through. I am not in the least bit interested in trying to go anywhere near as fast as my bike was. I don't think these cars are designed for that and it would take an insane amount of money and be pretty damn dangerous. I'm thinking I will more than likely go the used route at first to see what these cars are all about but things may change. I met up with a group of guys yesterday for breakfast and one of their factory five cars pulled up puking coolant and another owner had a superformance roadster that has a Roush 427 with EFI that has been giving him fits.....one think I have learned at an early age is trying to save money usually cost you money. It is important to get into a well built and sorted car for me. I don't think I could go wrong starting out in a 427 car....whether it is carb or EFI I am on the fence. By the way your website is structured very well and I like the aspect of being able to see many of the builds and pictures from the past. I am in the Memphis area if you can think of any customers within range that would be open to letting me take a look at their BDR car
Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Ace, I bought my first BDR from Jay and can vouch for he and Brian's customer service ethic. I'm now in the process of building my second BDR and I'd do it again as well. Here's BDR 1311 coming to life.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXyc-mpd2Io&list=UUovvy8VHl8DVnjvNWB0GGtA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXyc-mpd2Io&list=UUovvy8VHl8DVnjvNWB0GGtA[/ame]
Old 04-20-2014, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 395 Stroker
Not Ranked     

When I was looking for my first Cobra several years ago I accumulated as much information as I could on all of the major manufacturers. Finally narrowed it down to BDR and SPF as being the two that most closely fit what I wanted.

I ultimately bought an SPF over the BDR because the SPF price included a heater, soft top and tonneau cover, which were expensive add-ons for the BDR. The SPF also had the 90" wheelbase and original look.

Bottom line though, both cars are very nice, not sure how you could go wrong with either one.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I tried to reply last week to many of the the post in this thread off of my phone but it never went through. I am not in the least bit interested in trying to go anywhere near as fast as my bike was. I don't think these cars are designed for that and it would take an insane amount of money and be pretty damn dangerous. I'm thinking I will more than likely go the used route at first to see what these cars are all about but things may change. I met up with a group of guys yesterday for breakfast and one of their factory five cars pulled up puking coolant and another owner had a superformance roadster that has a Roush 427 with EFI that has been giving him fits.....one think I have learned at an early age is trying to save money usually cost you money. It is important to get into a well built and sorted car for me. I don't think I could go wrong starting out in a 427 car....whether it is carb or EFI I am on the fence. By the way your website is structured very well and I like the aspect of being able to see many of the builds and pictures from the past. I am in the Memphis area if you can think of any customers within range that would be open to letting me take a look at their BDR car
I just took in 3 consignments. I've got 2 that are great toe dipping cars. Give me a call or email.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Ace, I bought my first BDR from Jay and can vouch for he and Brian's customer service ethic. I'm now in the process of building my second BDR and I'd do it again as well. Here's BDR 1311 coming to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXyc...8DVnjvNWB0GGtA
Thats sounds incredible. What engine did you drop in there?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Thanks Hammer, still getting things sorted though. It's a 462" 428 with a hydro-roller cam, ebock heads and Streetmaster intake with TB FI.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does anyone have any comparison of driving a SBF vs a FI Mod motor such as something like the Coyote? In NA form the Coyote would be providing quite a bit less torque and HP. With the car being so light I'm sure that may almost be a benefit just wasn't sure. Seems like the power may be more usable. I'm sure Cashburn has the most experience since they are doing the majority of swaps.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Does anyone have any comparison of driving a SBF vs a FI Mod motor such as something like the Coyote? In NA form the Coyote would be providing quite a bit less torque and HP. With the car being so light I'm sure that may almost be a benefit just wasn't sure. Seems like the power may be more usable. I'm sure Cashburn has the most experience since they are doing the majority of swaps.
You summed it up pretty good I love the lighter feel up front myself and it makes everything feel more nimble. I do find myself driving "faster" when I'm in a Coyote powered car with the RPMs up an extra 1.5 - 2k.

Now pulling into a car gathering with a big cam 427 SBF coughing away is another angle.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You summed it up pretty good I love the lighter feel up front myself and it makes everything feel more nimble. I do find myself driving "faster" when I'm in a Coyote powered car with the RPMs up an extra 1.5 - 2k.

Now pulling into a car gathering with a big cam 427 SBF coughing away is another angle.
And this is exactly why I went with a Keith Craft 408 rather than the Coyote....

Kevin.....
Old 04-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey 65 View Post
And this is exactly why I went with a Keith Craft 408 rather than the Coyote....

Kevin.....
Oh, but you should hear the difference when you get on it The Coyotes piss our neighbors off the most on the Dynojet.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Did Ford or Jon Lund every re-establish the ghost tunes or are they still not suppose to be doing those? I hear and see a lot of coyotes with that being done. The cars sound like normal mod motors when cruising in your Youtube videos I just am curious to see how they sound idling......something about not having an H-pipe or traditional mustang exhaust makes you imagine that would sound funny. Are you doing Coyote swaps only or have you done any swaps using 03-04 terminator 4.6 4V's. With either mod motor I'm thinking the end game would be to have a blower but the terminator engines may make more tq down low than would be desired
Old 04-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Did Ford or Jon Lund every re-establish the ghost tunes or are they still not suppose to be doing those? I hear and see a lot of coyotes with that being done. The cars sound like normal mod motors when cruising in your Youtube videos I just am curious to see how they sound idling......something about not having an H-pipe or traditional mustang exhaust makes you imagine that would sound funny. Are you doing Coyote swaps only or have you done any swaps using 03-04 terminator 4.6 4V's. With either mod motor I'm thinking the end game would be to have a blower but the terminator engines may make more tq down low than would be desired
The Terminator motors use a lot of unique parts and are becoming costly to build. The Coyote can put out the same power with a blower. Our tuning is all done by Lund now, we have the Ghost Cam in every handheld but you give up power and drive ability with it so we do not set the cars up that way for delivery.

There's atleast one post on this forum with video of the ghost cam tune running on a Backdraft...
Old 04-23-2014, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Oh, but you should hear the difference when you get on it The Coyotes piss our neighbors off the most on the Dynojet.
Nothing against the Coyotes Jay, remember I almost ordered one from you.
I just wanted the loopy loop of the 408 over the smoothness and reving of the Coyote. It boiled down to personal preference as both are great....

Kevin.....
Old 04-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey 65 View Post
Nothing against the Coyotes Jay, remember I almost ordered one from you.
I just wanted the loopy loop of the 408 over the smoothness and reving of the Coyote. It boiled down to personal preference as both are great....

Kevin.....
I could not agree more. Each has distinct advantages and that's why the ratio is nearly 50/50 on sales since we started offering it.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1012 BDR #1292
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey guys I'm brand new to the forum. Ended up meeting a group of guys a few weeks ago that are mostly Superformance owners with the exception of a few FFR cars. Had the pleasure of riding in one of the Superformance cars with a KC427 and obviously I caught the bug. I've made my mind up I absolutely have to buy one of these things but I do not want to make an impulsive decision. Currently I have a 03 Mustang Cobra coupe making 595RWHP and I just sold my turbo charged hayabusa that made over 600RWHP. I am 29.....a youngster by Cobra standards but I have been looking a them on an off for a year or so I just never had the chance to see any in person. I still have not had a chance to see a Backdraft car but it seems to be a very legitimate roller option and the Vintage Motorsports videos on youtube have given me a perspective of both carbureted and modular motor applications. Below is just an initial take on the only 3 companies I have looked at and what my initial thoughts have been. I would never track the car it would be used as a 100% street car.....look forward to any input and discussion related to what I'm getting myself into

FFR-great price and probably hands down the way to go if you want to build your own car. I do not have the facility or the time to go this route. I'm not sure what purchasing a FFR package and hiring a certified FFR builder would achieve compared to purchasing a Backdraft

Superformance- so far the only car I have ridden in. Very tight ride with no rattles, left with a feeling of very high quality and fit/finish. Very expensive.....I would be buying a used Superformance as I do not think a new one is a smart financial decision at this point in life.

Backdraft- The only negative comments have come from Superformance owners and it was related to the extra 2" of wheelbase or what was described as the "European" look as well as the fitment not being as exact as expected with a roller....I do keep in mind this is coming from owners of a competitive kit. I have not seen a Backdraft yet but I like the idea of having a 2inch longer wheelbase and more interior room as one would think it may be a bit more stable or have a slightly better ride.......I am not a huge guy but I'm 5'10 225lb. The price point on a used Backdraft has been very appealing as long as I was comfortable in that I was not making sacrifices.
I'm 36 and I'm on my second Backdraft..you're making the right choice. good luck with your search. I strongly recommend you either build a car with Vintage or buy a preowned car that they have built.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #656 402 SR TW
Not Ranked     

Still on my first BDR. One day I will do a second one. I have an SBF roush 402 SR/TW. I love the torque mid range. Having driven a 99 mustang cobra (4v aluminum), I know you will miss that resonance you get when you wind up those engines. Many things I thought it wanted in a car I will do differently next time. I would go with a mostly blacked out car for ease of maintenance, ie thought I wanted polished wheels and pipes, turns out I think I'd prefer black. I thought I'd want a wooden steering wheel, and I still like it a lot, but I think a blacked out car with leather wrapped wheel would absorb some of the minor harshness transmitted to your hands (maybe my imagination). I think only engine for me would be a coyote xs type engine that I can make scream.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyL View Post
I'm 36 and I'm on my second Backdraft..you're making the right choice. good luck with your search. I strongly recommend you either build a car with Vintage or buy a preowned car that they have built.
Anthony,
Good talking to you. Let me know if you are going to attend the London event. I'm looking at going.