Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 03:01 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Default Tail/Brake Lights

I have had a problem with the light housings since I got the car and finally decided to replace them. The problem is that there is too much heat and it melts the groove for the bulb where it locks in place. At worst, it's a a fire hazard, but it is obviously an annoyance when the brake light doesn't work, the tail light doesn't work, or neither work.

Do the dual filament LED's work? I know on some other cars they cause all kinds of problems, but being that these cars aren't completely filled with fancy electronics, I am thinking I am good to go. Are LED lamps the way to go?

A yes or no from people who have used them....

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

LEDs will remove the heat issue. I have part numbers for some direct replacements that work very well, however if your housings are broken or disfigured then another option is to hard wire in the LED arrays.

Is the housing beyond use?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

I have LEDs for the brake lights. They work but you have to use clear silicon RTV to hold the bulbs in place. Otherwise they loosen and stop working.

Posted this at the same time Jay was posting. Obviously his solution would be the better fix.

Last edited by GLS-BDR226; 07-29-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Old 07-29-2014, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #678
Not Ranked     

Yes! LEDs will work great
Old 07-29-2014, 04:01 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

The housing is trash and I already ordered the new ones, I just didn't know if I was going to go with LED bulbs or stick with replacing the housing every couple of years. If the bulbs are good to go on the electrical system, I will just go that route. Are the led bulbs on the backdraft site the best option?

Here you can see not only the groove melted, but where the bulb was resting...

Last edited by itstock; 07-29-2014 at 04:04 PM..
Old 07-29-2014, 04:03 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS-BDR226 View Post
I have LEDs for the brake lights. They work but you have to use clear silicon RTV to hold the bulbs in place. Otherwise they loosen and stop working.

Posted this at the same time Jay was posting. Obviously his solution would be the better fix.
Did you have regular bulbs in place before the LED's? I'm thinking that with new housings and LED's I might be able to avoid the loosening over time since there will be no heat, just the vibration.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Check out this thread on the subject....

taillights only work on rare occasiion

Kevin.....
Old 07-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Those black plastic housings are notoriously weak. The white plastic are far better. I don't know where or when those came in but we've replaced MANY of them while cars were in for service without a charge. Shoot me an email...
Old 07-29-2014, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstock View Post
Did you have regular bulbs in place before the LED's? I'm thinking that with new housings and LED's I might be able to avoid the loosening over time since there will be no heat, just the vibration.
Yes, I replaced regular bulbs with the LEDs. But they kept losing contact until I used the silicon. Mine is an early model but I had the white housing.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

Just got back from getting ice cream with my grandson. While heading home in the dark several admirers all let me know my brake lights are not working. Came on to do a search and discovered this thread. I also have the black plastic housings and will be seeking a source for replacements. The regular bulbs are good but while into a repair the LED's sound like they would give some peace of mind for the future.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Since you have no lights as opposed to one, you likely have an unplugged brake light switch or the switch is gone from the heat. Housings are likely fine since they lasted that long.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Since you have no lights as opposed to one, you likely have an unplugged brake light switch or the switch is gone from the heat. Housings are likely fine since they lasted that long.
Following my search that was next on my trouble shooting list. I'm surprised at the housing condition and I will upgrade them and swap to over to Led's. Thanks Jay!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #648 351w/385hp
Not Ranked     

I lined the inside of the housings with chrome tape to help reflect the heat and light. It's working well.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #949, 392 FMS
Not Ranked     

Taillights aren't working again so I figured why I was trouble shooting (either bulbs are loose again or it's the switch), I might replace the tail lights with led. Do any of you guys who have done the swap have a part number as I see them from $3/pair on eBay to $16/each from the dealer so trying to figure out what you used and if you like the look. My fear has always been getting rear ended with my wife or kids in the car.
Thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I used the 1157 LED from superbrightleds.com. Here's the link https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...t-car/156/674/

These are for the brake lights. The turn signals use 1156 but I haven't changed those yet the LEDs have been in the car almost 5 years with no problem.
eunosracr likes this.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How simple is it to swap out the bulbs? Just go in through the trunk like on most cars?
Old 09-08-2015, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just unscrew the len from the outside. Two screws. Very quick.
eunosracr likes this.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS-BDR226 View Post
Just unscrew the len from the outside. Two screws. Very quick.
Thank you !
Old 09-08-2015, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     

#1. Bulbs are not your problem. You have plastic housings which are a solution to rusty housings, but, The problem I see is that you have some kind of cheap melting plastic which needs to be made out of metal or ABS. Finishlineaccessories.com can help source the proper Lucas lamp.

#2 LED Bulbs. I have a PN for you which is outstanding. Motorcycle LED Lighting by Custom Dynamics
GEN-20-R-1157 Its a standard bulb which is in a circular array. It's very bright and has a brighter flash circuit. But, here is the kicker, you need to put a load on your blinker circuit for your flasher to work properly. The LED lights draw only a few milliamps current and the flasher circuit is designed to work with incandescent bulbs of only a few ohms resistance. i.e. 12 volt bulbs. It's not a problem, they make loads which you can hook up in parallel to the blinker lamp. Here is the PN for the flasher replacement option. "EDFR"
Old 09-09-2015, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #832
Not Ranked     

I replaced the brake, tail & turn and front lights with LED's from Superbrite LED's. Replaced the flasher with a flasher for LED lights. Now I have got rid of the heat and they work fine and look much better than the original bulbs. Don't get the wide angle bulbs from them, get the 19 degree bulbs. Why change the brake bulb and not the rest. Makes no sense to me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: