Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Cashburn
  • 1 Post By Cashburn
  • 1 Post By Cashburn

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Hello to all Backdraft owners

I've decided my next toy is going to be a blacked out Backdraft in sterling gray with black stripes, black interior... No chrome...lol... After 20 years of motorcycles, I'm through with shiny and chrome. The option I'm struggling the most with is the biggest, drivetrain.
Roush 347IR (stack EFI), Coyote Roushcharged, or Coyote Aluminator XS... Tough decision.
Wondering if anyone can sway me towards one of them... and why? Experiences? Advice?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
As for tranny, either TKO600 or T56 depending on horsepower I choose, but love the idea of the 6 speed, don't like the extra weight of the T56.
As for wheels, I'm wanting to do something different as well... Forgelines offer some great knockoffs... Love to see a set styled like Klutch's KM20s... Love those wheels.
Black side pipes, black wheels, black rollbars... Blacked out!
Been reading here for awhile, appreciate the plethora of info.
Thanks,
Scott
Kentucky
Old 08-02-2014, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Cobra
Not Ranked     

Hi there! If you can drive one first! And see if you like it! I own three Cobras one original and two replicas and out of the three the Backdraft is the one I don't like! It feels really loose!
It's an earlier car though, their newer Cobras may be different not sure though!
As far as fitting a T56 Magnum on a Backdraft not sure it's possible without extensive modifications, mine has a Tremec 5 speed and it's touching the body on three locations not much room under there.
The other Cobra is from a company that no longer exists I believe they used to be called "SMC" but it was a solid car and I have done a lot of work to get it the way I want it! And it does have a T56 Magnum installed, and yes it's a heavy transmission! But it's bullet proof in my opinion. In my case I like the extra weight because of the power that car puts down. 690TQ 725hp at the wheels! If you like send me your email and I will send you pictures of the car and the underneath so you can see the T56 Magnum installed.
Nick1025@san.rr.com
Old 08-02-2014, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm shocked your BDR feels loose... around here I've never heard a bad word, but that's also why I'm here asking questions. I appreciate your honesty... email incoming.
Thanks
Old 08-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

We are just getting numbers on something we are going to call the "Coyote R" and I think it should be what you are after (though I need to figure out if the pricing will be realistic). We are currently at about 470RWHP with it.

Oh, it's grey with black stripes and a T56. But not Sterling
clarkscottkent likes this.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

If you have an early Backdraft and it feels "loose" you may have a number of issues to address. I suggest you consult the HQ in FL on it.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Keep me up to date on this Coyote R idea please sir... the 8,000rpms on the XS excites me though... lol
Old 08-02-2014, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I knew there were several T56 trannies out there from my research... Are there any fit issues with them?
Old 08-02-2014, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Coyote 5.0 (Sold to Justin in Burleson) working on #2
Not Ranked     

Scott:
Here ya go, sterling grey, black stripes, black-out trim, coyote 5.0. Cant help with Aluminator XS or Roushcharged, but the 5.0 is plenty strong. You will have to sacrifice the lumpy cam feel of a carburated motor, but the coyote makes sweet music at 7000 RPM.

VINTAGE Motorsports Photo Gallery - DSC02847_001.jpg
Old 08-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkscottkent View Post
I knew there were several T56 trannies out there from my research... Are there any fit issues with them?
Not in cars of the 850+ build range, or so.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR1222 View Post
Scott:
Here ya go, sterling grey, black stripes, black-out trim, coyote 5.0. Cant help with Aluminator XS or Roushcharged, but the 5.0 is plenty strong. You will have to sacrifice the lumpy cam feel of a carburated motor, but the coyote makes sweet music at 7000 RPM.

VINTAGE Motorsports Photo Gallery - DSC02847_001.jpg
I could live with that one for sure... Like the red gauges... Thanks for sharing.
Don't know if I like the red pinstripe... But when I see the red, it reminds me of the sterling gray, red striped GT500 that I really like. Has anyone done a BDR in sterling gray with red stripes? That would look pretty slick I believe.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Old 08-06-2014, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     

I have T56 in mine no issues whatsoever with the installation. In hindsight not sure I would do it again with the engine and rear end ratio I have (3.56). I don't think there will be any issue with the Coyote engine. I have solid lifter fairly aggressive cam that does not really like to run below 2500 rpm with HP.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've read a lower gear is preferred by the Coyote...remember seeing 3.91 rear end works real well. Figured if geared that low, having a 6 speed would be beneficial. Anything higher than that, starting with 3.73, a 5 speed should be perfect.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1134, Roushcharged Coyote Aluminator NA
Not Ranked     

I would save your money on the T56. I have a supercharged Coyote with 3.91's in the rear and a TKO600 with the .64 overdrive. If I did it all over again, I would opt for the TKO600 road race version with the .82 overdrive. The .62 is only usable on the highway and I am only turning 2300 RPMs at 75. Below 65 I shift down to 4th.

Julian
Old 08-06-2014, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There's the info I'm looking for...Thanks for the reply. sounds like you have the perfect setup in relation to what I'm considering...Thanks for the tip on tranny to go with.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     

If you're looking for a custom Windsor setup to your preferences you might want to call Brent Lykins (user name of blykins on here). He is one of the sites premier builders and has done numerous 427+ Windsor builds documented on here, including the latest:

Lykins Motorsports 438W Build
Old 08-06-2014, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, and he's in LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY... lmao... I haven't looked into local builders... Appreciate the info...I will do some research around town and my drag racing buddies.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2014, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #721, Performance Engineering 427
Not Ranked     

Also, you may also want to check out Performance Engineering in Cincinnati OH. I have a Dart Sportsman 351W block built by them which makes 600+ HP and has given me zero issues in 4,000 miles. Plus, I believe their warranty is still transferable to a new owner.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, wife is from Cincy... Up there a lot to see in-laws.