Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #832
Not Ranked     
Default Electrical Issue

Last evening I had the car running in the driveway. The water temp was up to 90 on the gauge which is normal. Then I turned on the headlights on low beam and the water temp gauge went up 10 degrees to 100. I then turned off the lights and the temp went back to normal quickly. What is going on?
Ozzie Goat likes this.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Roush 427 SR/TW
Not Ranked     

I have the same problem... Was mentioned to me at some point (just don't remember who or when) that it sounds like a grounding issue...
Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

bad grounds. Either ignore the readings or fix the grounding.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After getting your advise regarding grounds. I relocated the battery and changed the ground wire location. I will make sure that ground is good. Could be my problem. Will advise tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#1344/Dart SBF 427
Not Ranked     

Mine does the same
Old 09-23-2014, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jimbo,

I had the same issue and took the car to a guy that knows automotive electrics. He fixed up all of the gauges so that they work properly. It took him a couple of hours.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just called Frank at Boca. He said all of these cars do that. I guess its just a built in screw up by Backdraft. I know my hot rod I built and wired does not do that. Wish I knew what your guy did to fix the problem. I am going to install new Smith gauges this winter and the water temp and oil pressure are manual. This will correct that problem. I guess I need to rewire the gauges.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You might want to look at Speedhut in Utah.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:51 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo01 View Post
Just called Frank at Boca. He said all of these cars do that. I guess its just a built in screw up by Backdraft. I know my hot rod I built and wired does not do that. Wish I knew what your guy did to fix the problem. I am going to install new Smith gauges this winter and the water temp and oil pressure are manual. This will correct that problem. I guess I need to rewire the gauges.
My car has never done that. What kind of gauges do you have?

Last edited by itstock; 09-23-2014 at 03:23 PM..
Old 09-23-2014, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     

With grounding issues at the gauges, make sure you don't have a long daisy-chain from one connection to another and another. This goes for power as well. You can easily group up to 4 wires into a junction and connect it to ground. etc.
If you don't want to redo your wiring, first see if you can't add points to ground in the daisy-chain or at each end. My dash wiring was one long chain. When you turned on the dash light you could see the lights come on in a wave from left to right. The volts was reading 10 at full battery. I rewired all power and grounds and its a big difference.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Voltage fluctuation when lights turned on. Look at either your voltage or Amp gauge, needle will move.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 09-23-2014 at 05:40 PM..
Old 09-24-2014, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The gauges are VDO and the alt is suppose to be a 100amp. I took the battery box out and made sure the ground there is perfect. I am going to check the chassis ground for proper connection. Will know more tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What does it do if you turn the headlights on high beam? Grounding is always a first suspect in strange things with these cars, but it isn't always the problem. The lights sholdn't affect your temperature readings unless Backdraft has a setup that is quite different from what I have worked on. I used VDO gages in my race Cobra and I wired every gage and light with seperate and back up wiring so if one came loose or broke, everything would still work. Also I did add a lot of extra grounds to everything as I never was a big fan of daisy chaining things together. But as said above, check grounds first.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 09-24-2014, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron

What I have been able to determine is that Backdraft uses a single ground wire to all the gauges. What gauge wire I am not sure. This is not according to VDO instructions. VDO says in their instructions to run a 14ga ground wire to each gauge in order to get a correct reading. Discussing this with several other electrical minded techs, this will be my next step.
PLDRIVE and Ozzie Goat like this.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

My Backdraft has "stock" gauges except for the speedo and tach which are from AccuMeter. Sorry, but the gauges do not behave like yours, so I cannot be of help.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

I have an early BDR with VDO gauges. i had an issue with the speedometer bouncing from 0-45 while sitting still when the headlights were on. Had to rewire the speedometer. It was installed wrong.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kobura

I am not sure what you mean by "stock" gauges. They normally would be Autometer, VDO, or Smith's. Depending on what Backdraft installed in the build this should be the case. If the speedo and tach are Autometer then most likely the others are the same. It's possible that your gauges do not need the additional ground that the VDO gauges need. Read your gauge instillation instructions for this info. You can find this on line by checking the manufacturers instructions.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Kobura

I am not sure what you mean by "stock" gauges. They normally would be Autometer, VDO, or Smith's. Depending on what Backdraft installed in the build this should be the case. If the speedo and tach are Autometer then most likely the others are the same. It's possible that your gauges do not need the additional ground that the VDO gauges need. Read your gauge instillation instructions for this info. You can find this on line by checking the manufacturers instructions.
There was a year of production that Backdraft installed their own gauges. There were issues so the Speedo and Tach on the cars we delivered received a matching Autometer style gauge in those places. These gauges had LEDs instead of bulbs and might be the reason the grounding was not an issue, since you are reporting the issue is when the lights are on.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ron

What I have been able to determine is that Backdraft uses a single ground wire to all the gauges. What gauge wire I am not sure. This is not according to VDO instructions. VDO says in their instructions to run a 14ga ground wire to each gauge in order to get a correct reading. Discussing this with several other electrical minded techs, this will be my next step.
Yep, don't daisy-chain grounds or power. You can still just run a ground wire to the other end of the chain or the last point. That will give the current 2 paths instead of just one to ground. It'll be a quick fix.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do not understand "stock" gauges. Most have VDO, Autometer or Smith's gauges. If you have and Autometer speedo and tach most likely you have Autometer guage package.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: